Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any photos that show an Octane Red Challenger/Charger next to a Redline Challenger/Charger. Or better yet, One that shows TorRed along with those two as well (all three).

When I google "Octane Red", I see some that look dark maroon, but in sunlight, look Candy Apple Red. Can't trust Google to have the right information on the photos so I don't know if I'm looking at Octane Red or Redline. TorRed is easy to tell, but I'd like to see it next to the others, just for contrast.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I saw Octane Red when it first appeared on the 100th Anniversary edition at the 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show: it leans way more towards maroon than Candy Apple red.

I owned a Candy Apple red 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible: it had a bright red sheen in direct sunlight I haven’t seen on Octane red.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Rebel is "Flame Red" and the RAMs also come in "Delmonico Red". Not sure where these fit in the spectrum of the three Dodge Reds.......................

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Redline is the candy apple red I think....Torred is the red red and octane is marroonish I think...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only found a couple photos with multiple different RED cars, but nothing identifying from the source sites on what the colors are.

First one looks like an Octane Red Challenger beside a TorRed Charger.

Second one looks like a TorRed Challenger in between two Redline Challengers.

Can anybody confirm, or come up with some other photos with multipe red Chargers/Challeners. I see all kinds of photos of these colors, by themselves, but you really can't tell how maroon Octane Red is or how Candy Apple the Redline is, unless you see it next to another Red car.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw all 3 when I picked up my challenger at the dealership as I was debating the same 3 color choices. The octane red looked more maroon with a vibrant pearl coat to it. It looks a bit "dull" during overcast but in sunlight its absolutely gorgeous. I would say the redline tri-coat is the in-between. Redline is very identical to the torred but side by side the redline is a tad shade darker. I notice the difference between the torred and redline during daylight and sunny days. When its dark, I can't tell the difference unless its right under a street light.
It's one of those things where you would have to see it in person for yourself during day AND night.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right. Seeing them in person it the best. I like the subdued Octane Red in photos I've seen, on cloudy days, but it does appear to "pop" a little in sunlight. I don't think I'd like that. Having driven a black R/T for the past 5 years, I'm used to the more subdued look, and I like being able to blend into a pack of traffic, when necessary. If the Octane Red was flat (non metallic) and didn't sparkle in the sun, I might like it better. I don't want another Black one, but still want to go with a subdued color. Will probably choose between Maximim Steel and Granite....if they're both still offered when I pull the trigger on a new Challenger. Hoping to be able to get the satin black hood/roof/deck lid.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Candy Apple Red is often

Gold or Silver metallic base with red tint clear coat over that.

Octane Red in bright light will mimic that - there's a lot of pearl and there's a lot of gold pearl as well - so in bright sunlight the contours and character lines will pop with the gold pearl.

If you're looking at a more typical burgundy metallic effect - you won't like Octane Red.

Even Redline Red in bright direct sun has a high pearl / metallic content that pops in that light, but on cloudy day will look more subdued / darker shade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts