Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I am going to re-configure my intune to log *Ambient air temp and *Engine coolant temp which are not on the pre-set list at the moment and I think would provide useful info.
Also going to use off pre-set list * Intake air temp * Manifold air pressure *KNK ST *KNK LT *Engine speed * Vehicle speed *Open loop AFR * throttle position sensor *Throttle blade position.
This is for the benefit of monitoring the current tune not to make any changes as such.
Anything I am missing that would be of use? should be included?
As always input appreciated.....
Phil.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once I got in there and saw what was available this is what I have decided to log for now.
KNK ST
KNK LT
Air intake temp
Ambient air temp
Manifold air pressure
Desired FA Cyl 1
Open Loop FA
Vehicle speed
RPM
Throttle Blade position
Throttle position
Engine coolant temp
Oil pressure
Trans temp
All short and long term adap
Base spark
Actual spark
Same question....missing anything I should be logging?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Right now I have been looking at my P-ratio which is right around 1.97-2.0 lets me know how much boost I'm making along with barometer and also looking at my air charge numbers to try improve on the intake side for the least restrictive air intake and I have been watching my mass air flow speed g/s as the intake gets better or worse these speed seems to be attached to that, trying to get maximum speed like right now my peak has been 276.5 g/s.

Right now I'm in the learning phase of what to look for and what some of these mean as far as performance, no expert at all reading all these, I use what I can for the moment to try and improve on areas.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
I have been using Manifold pressure reading to quickly work out boost (subtract 14.5psi = boost) There used to be an option PID called synthesised that gave you boost pressure only but it does not seem to be available on newer than 2011 car pids.
I did see a 'sensed map' pid that I will log to see what info it delivers, there could be an option there somewhere just named differently to give boost only reading without having to calculate it yourself.
With Kenne Bells advertising on how well their intake system works it could interesting to log my mass airflow speed flowrate sometime to see what it is.
At the moment though all I am wanting to do is validate for myself how "safe" the KB tune is for my car, my fuel, my driving conditions ect, then if all is good move up a bit on boost.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
My understanding is this on P-Ratio, naturally aspirated engines that can achieve a 1.0 pretty much means they have achieve one atmosphere at their current location say..... sea level 14.7 psi. or 29.92 inHg

Where I live my barometric pressure is around 29.00 inHg in real time, which is 14.24 psi.

Basically my car runs 2.0 on the p-ratio which means I have doubled the atmosphere to my engine. So my supercharger is producing 14.24 psi of boost.

One atmosphere is natural, that is your barometric read on your PIDS, so depending where you live maybe it 28.5 inhg which converts to 14 psi if you can achieve a P-Ratio of 2.0 then your engine is making 14 psi of boost because your able to double the atmosphere.

I don't get to hung up on the actual boost numbers as long as I see my P-ratio near 2.0 I know the blower is doing what it can and I try to focus right now on air speeds/volume and getting as much as I can in to squeeze, then I will move onto something else to try an improve on.

Once I get all the physical parts changed that give the engine the best amount of air in and out finished then I will work on a tune to tie everything together. I don't want to chase after a good tune then say well I would like to make more power and change say the cai only to have to mess with the tune again.

I want to get the most air in and the most air out, then I know I have done everything I could and be done and be in it for only one tune. That's how I'm approaching my install and adjustments. Plus doing this helps me a little on what each pid means and what to look for.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, get that.
I am a little focused on actual boost as my kit is sold as 8psi 91oct safe so was interested to see what it was producing and validate no knock ect. The advertised psi is spot on to what I am seeing. (7.75psi @ 4500rpm building to 8.1psi @5800rpm) I am at sea level.
They say I can go to 9psi pulley for 93oct fuel only which is my intention once validation of the 8psi tune being safe. (so far looking good 2 ST KNK points @ 1-2 shift point only registration so far which was shift related (spinning in 1st when shifted to 2nd and not showing on normal shifts and used to register the same pre supercharger install so false KNK.)
We have fuel measured differently here so while I use our 98oct fuel it is only equivalent to US 93/94 hence the required caution.
I will not be going anywhere near your 14psi boost level! Well not without some major engine and driveline upgrades anyway.
That gives me memories of my old MKIV Supra big single (800hp T72 Turbonetic, HKS 264 cammed ect-ect running 25psi boost on pump gas/methanol injection days.
Said I would never chase that sort of hp again....... I do not know if I can keep my word on that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of interest working boost out using my baro info converted to psi (14.4psi) made boost calc come out @ 0.1 psi higher than my calc off Map sensor which I had allowed 14.5 as atmospheric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts