Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack T/A 392 M6 Go Mango
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed the oil in my 2019 T/A 392 at 3,600 miles yesterday and found some pieces of magnetic metal in the drain pan afterwards. The pan was definitely clean before I drained the oil and the drain plug looked fine, but I have no idea if the pieces came out of the oil pan, oil filter or fell off the car somewhere. I’m going to cut the filter open to see if there is anything inside. This is the second time I’ve changed the oil since last year and first time I’ve seen any metal in the pan. I'm not sure how concerned I should be yet. Does anyone have any clue what these pieces could be from?

Thanks.

Button Sweater Silver Fashion accessory Outerwear
Silver Button Body jewelry Outerwear Sweater

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
826 Posts
Unless you are certain that they came out with the oil, you shouldn't worry about it. I would show the dealer the pieces and see if they can help. If there's nothing in the oil filter then that is one less thing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
562 Posts
I changed the oil in my 2019 T/A 392 at 3,600 miles yesterday and found some pieces of magnetic metal in the drain pan afterwards. The pan was definitely clean before I drained the oil and the drain plug looked fine, but I have no idea if the pieces came out of the oil pan, oil filter or fell off the car somewhere. I’m going to cut the filter open to see if there is anything inside. This is the second time I’ve changed the oil since last year and first time I’ve seen any metal in the pan. I'm not sure how concerned I should be yet. Does anyone have any clue what these pieces could be from?

Thanks.
is there a chance that you have a magnetic drain plug?
Possibly they came from it since they are curved?

·
Registered
505 Posts
That almost looks like a thread off of something. Perhaps the drain plug or the threaded portion of the pan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like a piece of a thread to me as well. The plug isn't magnetic and all the threads look fine. I don't think it's the pan since that is aluminum and the fragments are magnetic. Wish I knew for sure where they came from.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
My auto tech buddies told me it is not uncommon to have metal debris in the oil pan. It is there when the engine leaves the factory.

If one always checks the drained oil for debris after an oil drain he might run across some of this metal debris as it can be carried out by the draining oil.

'course, techs don't bother. They just drain the oil into that oil drain basin atop a large storage container. The techs don't cut open the filter or in the case of a cartridge filter do not even bother to look at the filter element.

If the engine is quiet and not manifesting any other signs of distress just change the oil and drive on. The odds are very high there is nothing wrong with the engine. If there turns out to be a problem -- which I don't think there will be a problem -- that's what the new car warranty is for.

If you go to the dealer service what do you have besides the metal debris?

No noises.

No engine misbehavior.

No CEL.

No problem.

Engines are not pulled from a new car, torn down and checked because a piece of metal or two came out of the drain hole when the oil was drained.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Rockster as well. I know some metal debris is normal in new engines, I was just surprised by the size of these pieces. I'll drive it as long as it seems ok and maybe just do another oil change in a 1,000 miles or so for peace of mind. I would never expect the the engine to be torn apart unless there was sufficient reason to do so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
I agree with Rockster as well. I know some metal debris is normal in new engines, I was just surprised by the size of these pieces. I'll drive it as long as it seems ok and maybe just do another oil change in a 1,000 miles or so for peace of mind. I would never expect the the engine to be torn apart unless there was sufficient reason to do so.

Thanks!
FYI even an engine with miles on it can shed metal. A piece of casting flash finally comes loose and ends up in the oil pan.

(When I rebuilt one engine I went over the inside of the block with an air die grinder and removed all casting flash ridges and smoothed out the casting surface roughness to help reduce the amount of time it took oil to drain back into the oil pan.)

If a piece of casting flash does come loose In this case it might remain in the pan -- though it might come out at some point during an oil drain. If the piece is small enough it can get ingested by the oil pump and the oil pump gears pulverize the metal. The resulting particles of metal get caught in the filter.

With my other cars that used an oil filter insert I'd unscrew the housing and dump the oil into a clean drain pan. Invariably when I did this there would be small flakes of mostly aluminum in the oil. (Which is to be expected as the block and heads and camshaft covers were all aluminum.)

Any hard running can increase the amount of debris in the oil when drained. The violence of the oil movement in the engine at high RPMs can dislodge loose pieces of metal. Or in the pan agitate existing metal debris and have it end up closer to the drain hole or possibly bring it under the oil pump intake pipe opening and the metal gets sucked up along with oil.

Many owners made a big deal out of checking oil and the oil filter. But with an oil change of say 5K miles (or more miles) the odds of changing the oil and finding metal debris that warranted real concern for engine health are very long. In a few cases where there was an engine problem the engine went from healthy (and healthy sounding) to noisy to bad in nearly no time. While often the oil filter was removed and checked it was just to confirm what was suspected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts