Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost bought this car, but went a different direction because it seemed weird.

Is this a pilot car?

2C3CDZFJ7HH598346

It is still for sale.

I have the carfax on it. Looks like it acrued around 5000 miles a month for two months of it's short life.

Car was first sold in Allen Park Michigan.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Looks like a normal VIN, what makes you think it's a pilot?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Read somewhere that a 5 in the 12th digit might make it a pilot.

That and the weird mileage combined with coming out of Michigan and a very low selling price - $27000.

Here it is if someone else wants it:

https://cargur.us/kvvfz

The VIN on the listing is 1 digit off. I got a pic of the title from the owner that showed the real VIN.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
VIN format for pilots vary for different years, this one looks production to me although gotta be something wrong with that price.

Don't see the VIN being off, which digit is off?

Looks like built late Feb which matches up with first sale.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VIN format for pilots vary for different years, this one looks production to me although gotta be something wrong with that price.

Don't see the VIN being off, which digit is off?

Looks like built late Feb which matches up with first sale.

Must have fixed the VIN. It was $30k when I was interested. He lowered it to $27 when I told him I found another car.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I think the 5 in that position being a pilot car is a 2015 thing, but I'm no expert. My car is a pilot car, and it's something like 500314, maybe. I don't have it in front of me.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Yeah that 500314 in 2015 would be a pilot.

It's just an early build usually built months before the rest to test out various parts to be used in production and may differ slightly from the rest. Some pilots are sold, others are crushed.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
They are pre-production cars that are built on a different assembly line so that they can do testing, and work on fit and finish. There are different series of pilot cars, and they sometimes sell the later ones. The S2 series cars are driven by Chrysler employees, so they can report back, and they are also the cars used for reviewers to drive before the rest of us get to get our hands on them.

I'm sure that someone else can chime in and give better information. My 2015 SRT 392 was built on May 9, 2014. It came with options that weren't supposed to be available in that lineup, like the 9 speaker Alpine stereo, brass monkey wheels, and a misprint on the fuse map on the underside of the underhood fuse cover.

One guy online had a pilot car SRT 392 that was a few days older than mine that came with the 4 piston front brakes and 20x9" wheels.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
If you're curious, the build sheet would show if it's a pilot car or not. That build sheet does not. Mine mentions it a few times.

PSA/S2A Pilot Order Tracking
All Pilot Orders Tracking
Company Car Tracking
Domestic Pilot Orders
Fast Feedback Pilot Tracking
Vehicle Development Pilot Order

1 - 13 of 13 Posts