Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?m planning to change the oil for the first time soon. So I see a lot of choices for pinch weld jack pads. The reviews on Amazon are mixed.

Any advice? Can I get by without one of these?

Reactions: Saetta

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I?d like to see the hockey pucks in action.

I don?t get how they work?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I?d like to see the hockey pucks in action.

I don?t get how they work?
Look up under your car, there is a notch in the frame on the lifting point, the round head of the eyebolt just fits in the notch, its pretty simple really. Just do a search for hockey pucks on the board here I'm sure there has been many threads on them or do a google search, I think there is a few youtube videos on them also.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,373 Posts
Look up under your car, there is a notch in the frame on the lifting point, the round head of the eyebolt just fits in the notch, its pretty simple really. Just do a search for hockey pucks on the board here I'm sure there has been many threads on them or do a google search, I think there is a few youtube videos on them also.
I believe you're talking about a spot on the "frame" (not really a frame) located about a foot inboard from the pinch weld area that the OP was asking about.

My buddy Dave next door is in the process of making me a homemade set out of aluminum. He makes a lot of things with his aluminum forge; it's been his hobby for some time. He loves creating and casting things out of aluminum, so I asked if he'd like to take on this project. Once the molds are made, perhaps he could make an extra set? We measured up my Challenger and are getting ready to make a set of pinch weld pads for the front of my car. Will post up some pictures in a week or so when they're done.

Gary

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I?m thinking why not just cut a chunk of 2x4 that fits into the cup on my floor jack and use it on the frame rail that isn?t a frame rail?

Why even mess with the pinch weld?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I?m thinking why not just cut a chunk of 2x4 that fits into the cup on my floor jack and use it on the frame rail that isn?t a frame rail?

Why even mess with the pinch weld?
Simpler is better...I like your wood block idea. Myself, I went to a sporting goods store and bought a puck for $4 since those won't mar the painted front frame rail with the pointer notch cut into it mentioned above. For the back jack points you've got some nice rubber bumpers already installed by the factory to put your jack pad on. BTW, if anyone's unsure of where the "official" jack points are located, there's a nice photo illustration on one of the forum threads here showing where the factory service jack points are located. (Actually the pinch welds are better for use with the factory jack in the trunk if you have a flat out on the road. If given a choice I'd prefer to use the frame locations in the link below.) :wink3:

Jack Points Post

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been using this for a few years. simple, simple

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering how those inapinchweld things would hold up over time. Look like the best solution to me if they don?t split.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Out of curiosity, why not just put the car on rhino ramps ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
Ramps are an expense, and won't help you do any tire/brake work

A Guy

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ramps are an expense, and won't help you do any tire/brake work

A Guy
Honestly, set of Rhino ramps and jack stands are cheaper than one of those pinch weld options.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
Cheaper yes, but you can't do wheels and brakes with them. If you don't plan to, the ramps are fine. My point is, you'd have to do both if you planned to pull any wheels ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Out of curiosity, why not just put the car on rhino ramps ?
I?ve seen far too many ramp mishaps to ever consider them. Best one was a FWD car pulling up onto them that spit the ramp under the car and creased the floor board on one side. Still not sure exactly how it happened. I?ve also seen RWD cars push one of the ramps instead of going onto them evenly.

Plus, like mentioned above, eventually I will need or want to do things that require a jack. And I already own a nice floor jack and stands.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts