Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I had a little accident with my 2015 scat pack - I went over a small corner stone with the front lip of the car whilst parking. I haven't noticed this at all and then whilst getting out of the parking spot in reverse, the front lip got stuck and torn the front bumper a little bit from the rest of the car. Nothing serious, I put the bumper back and it's fine.

However, now I have noticed some pinkish liquid with a little bit of sweet smell (like some bathroom/toilet room spray or something) in my garage somewhere under the front bumper.

What I have read is that pinkish/sweetish liquid might be the engine coolant.

Is it possible I have damaged the coolant system by the aforementioned accident?

Any suggestions what else it could be/what I should check?

Of course I will go to the shop asap, but in the next few days I can't and I am getting a little scared.

Thanks

Adam

·
Super Moderator
17,463 Posts
I'd check the lower radiator - the other item would be the lower radiator hose - there's a plastic t-junction that feeds a coolant line for the oil cooler. Something got damaged to create a coolant leak.

watery consistency and a sweet smell would be coolant

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Sure, I will have that check.

I understand this is a dangerous thing. Is there any way I can check in the board computer whether the level is dangerously low or something? I just want to be sure it's safe to even drive to the shop.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Depending on the engine type in your vehicle you can check the coolant fluid level in your coolant reservoir to ensure you have enough coolant to drive the vehicle to an expert to have the problem evaluated. Section 8 of your owners manual will show you the location of the coolant reservoir for all the engine types in our challengers, also the owners manual will give you guidance on how to check the coolant level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the mechanic says the radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced. I just checked on rockauto and there is an incredible selection of them. Ranging from 60 to 250 USD. Is there any real difference in getting the expensive ones? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
A $60 radiator?

Not a chance, it has to be junk.

There were lots of issues with the 2015 radiators when these cars were new, the later cars had an update and don't hear about any problems.

Myself, I would go with an OEM dealer radiator. Do it once and do it right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem is that I am Czech, living in Europe, so I can't just go to a dealer and buy the replacement part. I have to order the stuff from rockauto or summit racing and have it shipped overseas. So I need to choose one from what they have.

·
Registered
728 Posts
When in doubt, always go 'Heavy Duty' 👍
Rock auto and Summit racing are reputable. Get one that is all metal, they use to be brass, but I think they are all aluminum now -a - days. Read the descriptions carefully. Use to be able to get a Modine radiator that were pretty good long time ago, wonder if they still make those?
Hope you find a good one!
best regards
parrott

·
Registered
599 Posts
05170742AA is the correct PN for XDL (Severe Duty II Engine Cooling) sales code. If you send me the last 8 of your VIN I can double check if that is what your car is currently equipped with (which I am certain it is).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Assuming that is what your car came with (which it should have), yes. There is one other radiator PN avail for 2015 but it's for single fan/NMC (Heavy duty engine cooling) sales code. Like I said, I'd need the VIN if you wanted me to double check and say w/100% certainty which radiator your car has in it now. It should be 05170742AA but your veh is an export/BUX so I can't say for sure without checking.

If you don't want to post your VIN publicly feel free to shoot me a message.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I haven't seen your second post before answering. I am walking whilst writing, so not 100% focused.

The VIN i can get only later today.

Further, I have read about then2015 scat pack radiator issues. If this one fits and I get it, can I be sure the replacement part will NOT suffer from the known radiator issues?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sorry, I haven't seen your second post before answering. I am walking whilst writing, so not 100% focused.

The VIN i can get only later today.

Further, I have read about then2015 scat pack radiator issues. If this one fits and I get it, can I be sure the replacement part will NOT suffer from the known radiator issues?
That's a complicated question. If you order one from a dealer, who in turn orders one from MOPAR, then you'll at least get the latest & greatest (clean) stock available. But if a dealer sells you one that's been sitting on a shelf for a few years it could be an obsolete part. There are no guarantees in this crazy world ;) but personally my advice would be to use a MOPAR unit, not the absolute cheapest one avail from a generic part wholesaler. But hey that's just me.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
634 Posts
You might have luck getting Luke with Steve White Parts to help you.
Message Luke

You can use a discount code wuth them "cha1" . 10% off I think but it all helps.

Good luck,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts