Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here. I have a 2016 SRT 392 A8 with the Pirelli P Zeros. I have a little less than 12000 miles on the car and all 4 tires are down to 3mm left on the treads. I have never had an original tire wear so fast. I called Pirelli and they said that any Z rated original tire is not warranted by them. However, (not their words, but mine) if I replaced them with the OEM tire they come with a 45000 mile wear warrantee. The dealer has been no help, so it has left me scratching my head. I am not an aggressive driver and I've always gotten good mileage out of other high performance tires. Anyone else had any similar experience? If I can't get any help from Pirelli, anybody have suggestions for other good 275/20 tires?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I got 8K on summer tires. Went Continental and never looked back.

Also, bumping up to 285’s on those 9.5” wheels is a great upgrade. Better look and handling. They are an approved size for the wheels so tire shops have no problem mounting them.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Need a little help here. I have a 2016 SRT 392 A8 with the Pirelli P Zeros. I have a little less than 12000 miles on the car and all 4 tires are down to 3mm left on the treads. I have never had an original tire wear so fast. I called Pirelli and they said that any Z rated original tire is not warranted by them. However, (not their words, but mine) if I replaced them with the OEM tire they come with a 45000 mile wear warrantee. The dealer has been no help, so it has left me scratching my head. I am not an aggressive driver and I've always gotten good mileage out of other high performance tires. Anyone else had any similar experience? If I can't get any help from Pirelli, anybody have suggestions for other good 275/20 tires?
Thanks
Do you have the all season or the "summer" tires?

Mine has all season P Zeros (albiet 305/35/20) and those appear to be wearing OK so far. Original tread depth is 9/32 and I'm at 8/32 after just over 5,000 miles. That "travel-rate" suggests that they will hit the 2/32 replacement depth at ~35,000 miles.

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
That's pretty normal, I drive fairly conservatively with a lot of highway and by 16,000 miles they were gone.

With the summer tires you wouldnt even get 10.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I’m a pretty conservative driver in general.....had to change my 3 season P- Zeros just under 20k miles.
It will be interesting to see how far I can get. I did buy a 5th matching wheel and tire and I am doing a 5-tire rotation every 3,000 miles. I was hoping to hit 40,000 miles doing that. We'll see.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That will be interesting to see. Don’t want to be the rain cloud but I’m not confident in your chances. Good luck though.
Agreed. I have based my projection on the current tread-wear of the three tires having just over 5k miles. I'm down 1/32nd on those.
Starting depth: 9/32.
Usable Depth: 7/32.
Current depth: 8/32.

1/32 used up in 5,000 miles. x 7 = 35,000 miles for 4 tires. Divide that by 5 tires and that equals 43,750 miles for the set.

Challenge accepted. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
The Pirelli P Zero is a maximum performance summer tire. The wear rating is 220 AA A and Tire Rack rates its wear as fair. That is the price that you pay for a sticky tire with a soft compound.

When I was looking for a maximum performance all-season tire, I purchased a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires for my SRT. They come with a 500 AA A wear rating.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
Thanks
Based on my experience I suspect you are a bit harder on the tires than you realize.

My 2018 Hellcat came with Pirelli all season tires. Just traded in the Hellcat last week with just over 27K miles on it and the original front tires still on the car. They were not yet to the wear bars but getting there. The rear tires were in better condition being they were replaced at around 13.5K miles due a puncture of one of the original rear tires.

My new 2020 Scat Pack came with Pirelli high performance summer tires. My experience with similar tires on my Porsche Boxster is the rear tires lasted 20K miles and the fronts were good for 40K miles. The Boxster used staggered tire sizes so I could not rotate front and rear tires. (While I could rotate the tires on my Hellcat I did not have to. My usage had tire wear front and back even.)

I did not drive the Boxster hard just the combination of soft tires -- they provided extraordinary grip -- with 60% of the car's weight on the rear tires -- accounted for the "short" rear tire life. I ran Michelin tires on that car and they delivered the same number of miles of service life.

With the Hellcat I always was quite cautious in the "twisties" the all season tires just didn't give me a lot of confidence.

But the Scat Pack with the high performance Pirelli tires the grip is outstanding and I have been "enjoying" driving on twisty roads again. The Scat Pack doesn't grip like the Boxster for sure but for a car for its size and weight the car has some good grip. I'm happy -- so far -- with the Pirellis P Zero summer tires. Time will tell how many miles i get from the tires. Given how they grip and how I'm taking advantage of this I would not be surprised they do not last as long and the all season tires did on the Hellcat.

·
Super Moderator
17,470 Posts
The OEM P Zero are soft tires and many I've know of are 13 - 16K if you drive a lot of highway miles.

In town driving, they'll wear faster. The P Zero Nero (all season) will go a bit longer may low 20s

I'd recommend (all season) the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 and they're quiet - no tread noise

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Looks like you are getting some good tire life. The tires are soft. If the car driven aggressively I'm sure the tires would be gone in no time.
Thanks. I do some spirited driving, no burnouts. Tires have been rotated with every oil change, so 8 times in 15k miles. All four corners look about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
Thanks. I do some spirited driving, no burnouts. Tires have been rotated with every oil change, so 8 times in 15k miles. All four corners look about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to put too fine a point on it but tire rotation 8 times in 15K miles is not even quite 2K miles between rotation on average. That is I think being a bit OCD.

However, thumbs up for the oil changes. A bit more often than I would have the service done but better too often than not often enough. (Been there had to pay the big repair bill.)

While I don't shun tire rotation I try to drive the car in such a way tire wear front and back is even. And the less often the lug nuts have to be removed and then re torqued the better.

But of course your car and you do as you please.

·
Super Moderator
17,470 Posts
take those junky OEM lug nuts off and replace them - at some point in time, someone will distort the caps...then you're screwed because the socket won't fit over them

Or the lug nut gets stuck in the socket...

I have one-piece Gorilla lug nuts that look identical to the OEM style, expect better since they're chrome plated vs. the stainless covers of the OEM

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Challenger is a very heavy car and unfortunately the pirelli is a soft tire. I learned a long ago to start looking on OfferUp for used tires. I actually found a tire guy that hooks me up for $100 a pair for front or rear in my sizes with 75+ tread always on them. After running multiple sets of different types I'm moving away from pirelli because they just burn out too quickly. Definitely love the continental or the Michelin. On my 01 mustang I used to run the Goodyear G Forces and would get at least three to four years out of those things running them hard but definitely a lot to say about the weight of the vehicle and tire wear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts