Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well......if it wasn't enough dealing with those people....now my DWB R/T has shown an oil leak. Momma said, "Hey Bruce, have you seen the spot on the garage floor where the Challenger parks?" Ouch! I had no idea! So, last night at about 11:30 I get under there with my Headlamp on my forehead and sure enough....the plastic splash guard underneath the car has oil dripping! I immediately checked the oil level and it's okay. I haven't looked into it any further (didn't drive it to work today) but when I do I suspect the filter isn't tightened enough. The Toyota folks did the same damn thing to my truck about 6 months ago. Well, my Challenger has 14K on it.....almost 2 years I've had it and it gets babied every step of the way. The last oil change was in Amarillo when my daughter had the car and drove it home shortly afterwards. I've only put another 200 miles on the car since then. I am willing to bet the filter is loose. No eveidence of oil around the heads, valve covers, etc. anywhere up high on the engine. We'll see tomorrow when I change the oil and filter myself instead of these dealerships that throw it back together and forget about the 3/4 turn after it is hand tight!:icon_evil:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It's possible that it may be an oil sender as it is located right above the filter.(warranty) It may also be that the tech. changed the filter without completely removing the bellypan and it drained onto the pan. That's four bolts he has to deal with. If I had a rack all I would do is remove the back two and work from there. Everyone is so quick to rag the techs. If you can change it your self that is what I would do and I do. Techs. work on commission not by the car or piece work. They lose their butts working in shops anymore. But, check it out and let us know what it was.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It sure sounds like a loose oil filter:( I wouldn't be happy either. Keep us posted on the outcome.

BTW, with stories like this, you are not making it any easier for me to take mine in for its first oil/filter change. LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to hear that Redliner,

I have never been enthused with the service rendered at the Amarillo dealerships.

Hence why i had to buy my car in Lubbock.

I change my own oil and only go to the dealers for warranty work.

good luck in the future.

BTW: Glad your car is back in shape from the incident.

later, Ryan (Amarillo Area Mopars)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ryan...yes, the car looks perfect again. What w eird accident too. Car sitting there and some drunk kid takes out the left side when he is pissed about something and swings the car as he is backing out. I will post what I find out tomorrow. No way was this residual oli sitting there this long. I give Dodge some credit for putting that little hole at the bottom of the "cup" of that splash panel. It allowed it to leak and be seen! Otherwise this leak could have kept going until I had a catastrophy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
When I changed my oil last month, I had oil on the filter and some on the belly pan. I thought it was my oil filter not tight enough. Hey, I figured, after 35 years of changing oil I was due for this right? Wrong! upon further inspection, above the filter sits the oil sender. and there is oil on the threads of the sender. If you put a light on it you can clearly see where its coming from.

I wiped the oil off pretty good and a week later took it to the dealership. They said it wasn't leaking. I told them I'll be back to show you boys what's going on.

If you go under your car, take a flashlight, and an inspection mirror, and look at the threads on the block where the oil sender is threaded into. Make sure there is no oil seeping out.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
UPDATE:
Okay.....pretty sure the oil sending unit was alright. I checked it with my fingers first and never got oil on them. Since the sending unit is "just above" the top of the filter, that pretty much told me it was okay. Then I went to unscrew the filter. I "barely" had to budge it and it started unscrewing with my hand. They didn't do the 3/4 turn after hand tight. Couldn't have. We'll see. I put a K&N HP2010 filter on it and 7 quarts of Castrol 5W20 Sythentic. I can't wait to get my 4-poster lift in place though. What a pain doing this with jackstands! I'm too old and fat for that crap anymore! Thought you folks needed my update. Thanks to all of you giving me your ideas! This forum is priceless for the people that share their knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Glad to hear the leak was just a loose filter. The dealership tightened my sender and it's hardly wet. I think they just didn't clean the sender oil free so there is some residual wetness. Now, with the help of some Q-tips and laquer thinner, I'm dry as a bone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts