Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching this forum and I havn't found a supporting vendor for an old school Pistol Grip Shifter for the 6 speed. Is there one?

Second, I've read about people who have bought and liked the Gunslinger version but has anybody here purchased the one from YearOne?

I'm ready to buy myself a Christmas present but not sure which to go with. :shrug03:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A couple vendors sell them...not sure which ones though, I am sure, someone will chime in.

I always liked the idea of getting the Year one reproduction with the real wood handles and having a custom top made for a 6 speed. However you may need to do a little fabrication and modifying it to make it work bellow the shift boot.

I do not really like any of the modern ones personally (including the Y1 08-09 challenger model), and if you have a bit of metal working experience, the Year one reproduction is a cool idea IMO.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I looked for awhile and never found one that I really liked. So I used a piece of Zebra wood and made on myself. A dremal tool and lots of sandpaper, some clear polyurethane, and a few hours of time. Then I made a shift stick from a 1/2" diameter steel rod, threaded the top and put a flat on the other end with the two mounting holes. That way I could have it tilt the way I wanted it to. I can't get my hand to slip off this thing no matter how hard I shift.

I have since made a small plate that holds the leather up to the bottom of the wood handle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just talked with a guy at Gunslinger. They do not have a 100% postive that the shifter will fit on the 2011 Challenger. I really don't see that it would change but you never know. He indicated that if for some reason it does not fit he will gladly modify the shifter to fit the new application.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Thought I originally wanted to replace my OEM but having put 700 miles on it I like it, like the feel of it and have had a lot of compliments espec when they see the 6 speed diagram. My personal preference the Ol School real pistol grip on the pre 1971 was cool because it was not a short throw shifter and really felt like a gunsligner not sure it really works on ours BUT R/T Classic yours is a work of ART really NICE. Think if I wanted to go old school I like the HURST, think that white or black ball on the short throw looks really cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Put the Gunslinger shifter in our 2009 Challenger with the old-style wood look grips. Very happy with it. Couldn't believe how cheap the factory lever felt once it was out. Shifter is a bit tall if you don't use the shorter drilled holes, but it makes it look nice for displaying the logo on the lever. We left ours long.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've owned a 70 Challenger and a 71 Cuda both with pistol grip 4-speed. The Hurst that Jason at Gunslinger adapts to fit the 6-speed is SPOT-ON true to the original feel if you use the shorter mounting position. I prefer the Carbon Fiber grips because it really fits the new Challenger interior, but I totally understand why the wood grain would be desirable.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a Gunslinger sitting on my dining room table in the box. I bought if from a friend who had installed a short throw shifter mechnism in his 010 classic. The Gunslinger did not fit the short throw mechanism but it fits fine in the stock mechanism. He utlimately found someone who makes an old style shifter to go with the new short throw shifter. Loves it.

I like your 70 RR, I had two 383 4 spd versions over the years. Is yours an original V code?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Gunslinger sitting on my dining room table in the box. I bought if from a friend who had installed a short throw shifter mechnism in his 010 classic. The Gunslinger did not fit the short throw mechanism but it fits fine in the stock mechanism. He utlimately found someone who makes an old style shifter to go with the new short throw shifter. Loves it.

I like your 70 RR, I had two 383 4 spd versions over the years. Is yours an original V code?
Oh how I wish it was a "V" code. This was an original numbers match 383 Auto. It was my first car and man I thought I was pretty bad at 16. So I'm 36 now and still have the car. I completed the restoration about 15yrs ago. I bought it from my dad and he has been trying to get it back from me for a couple of years now. I have reminded him on more than one occasion how irresponsible that was, I'm supprised I'm still alive with all the crap I did in that car. I can't let it go, I have had cash in hand and turned it down. Just can't do it.

I bought the 440, intake and carbs from a guy local here. He says he bought it from his friend in the late 70's, came out of a wrecked '70 GTX. Been sitting in his garage forever. So it's probably as close as I can get to having a numbers six barrel. It's tons of fun to have around and my twin girls, 8 years old, insist I drive them to school in it on Fridays (my day off). The grade school kids are great and you should see them pile up to look at the car. :bigthumb: They all wait from me to leave and I give them the "Beep Beep."

Let me know if you don't install the shifter, I may be interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts