Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had posted earlier about an engine problem and am just now getting around to share it with you guys. On Sunday May 1 my check engine light came on because my car was doing a shaking motion. Took it to the dealership that Monday and they found out that the fourth piston misfired and that it either fried the spark plug (which turned out to be incorrect) or broke the spring (which also turned out to be incorrect)

What actually was wrong was that when it misfired, it fried the PCM for my vehicle, the whole computer system! Part was on backorder when they ordered it on Tuesday and just came in today. They are test driving my car as we speak and I hope to get it back within the next hour.

They said they have never heard of this or seen it. My Challenger is a 2011, so it is still extremely new (had less than 600 miles on it when this happened). It happened out of nowhere and I have no idea why. Anyone know what might have caused this? They say that when they replace the PCM with this new one, it will be like nothing happened. Hopefully this is the case, just wanted to see if any of yall have seen/heard of this. Sorry for making it so long just needed to vent, I had the car for 3 weeks and it has been in the shop for over a week...WTF

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think they have their sequence of events backwards. It sound like what you're saying is the dealer is telling you the cylinder misfired causing the PCM to fail. Most likely its the other way around: the PCM failed and caused a misfire. Even this is suspect to me, as I can't see how a cylinder misfire would fry anything. And I would think if the PCM failed none of the cylinders would fire. I haven't bothered to check, but are these engines coil on plug? If so, did they check the coil?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well got my car back, they said it was fixed, it is not. Almost got home and check engine light came back on and began to shake again. Stopped the car, turned it off, and turned it back on a few second later hoping I was dreaming. Well now its even worse, the car wont even turn over to start. And upon further examination of the car, I find a dent below the driver mirror, and scratches all along the bodyline where the left panel meets the hood as well as around the door handles. Im about to freak out and will be demanding a new car or a full refund. I have never used dodge before and this is not a good start to keeping me around. Guess I have a lemon, maybe I need to sue.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know. It was fine for the most of the way home but right before I pulled in, it began to do it all over again. And now it wont turn on as stated above. I have contacted the dealership where I bought it from and am waiting for a call back. My car has been ruined in every aspect from when I brought it in to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I dont know. It was fine for the most of the way home but right before I pulled in, it began to do it all over again. And now it wont turn on as stated above. I have contacted the dealership where I bought it from and am waiting for a call back. My car has been ruined in every aspect from when I brought it in to be repaired.

I would say so, scraped to hell and the engine is trash.

You know, with cars these days, it does seem like they are only looking at the electronics. I second PWR_Andy.

Sometimes it's all in the dealer too, is there another you could go to?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say so, scraped to hell and the engine is trash.

You know, with cars these days, it does seem like they are only looking at the electronics. I second PWR_Andy.

Sometimes it's all in the dealer too, is there another you could go to?
There is one about 30 min from the one it has been at. At this point I almost want to make the original dealership (about 2 and a half hours away) to tow it down there and fit it

·
Registered
212 Posts
Man, that totally sucks.Good luck with them, sounds like its time to break out the louisville slugger ( the old school wood ones):eek:rder:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to keep my car, I love my car...for the 2 weeks I had it. I just know that I want another engine. I know that they arent going to do that right away, but I dont want to wait for another 2 weeks while they hope to solve the problem

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
....oh and make more dents and scratches. Did I mention I'm pretty pissed?!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But like I said earlier, I just want it sooner than later like anyone else would. I want to get a new engine lol there is obviously something wrong with this one that they cant seem to figure out what is the problem

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hopefully this isn't a sign of the new engine being unreliable.
This is what I am hoping as well. I want to keep my car, but screw the engine. I dont want this to be a recurring problem.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really hope so. Still waiting to hear back from the original dealer on what is going to happen (whether they are towing it down there to work on it or take it to a closer dealer). If I dont get a call back tomorrow, there will be issues. As for the exterior damage (dent and paint chips/scratches) idk who will be fixing that. Im sure I wont have my car again for another week or so at the earliest. Bought the car April 19, has been in the shop since April 30

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well taking the challenger to another dealer tomorrow about 25 minutes away to see if they can figure out what is wrong. Hopefully they can finish it by saturday before they all leave so I can go pick it up for the rest of the weekend. My smoked out tail lights are coming in tomorrow and I will have no car to put them on!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well taking the challenger to another dealer tomorrow about 25 minutes away to see if they can figure out what is wrong. Hopefully they can finish it by saturday before they all leave so I can go pick it up for the rest of the weekend. My smoked out tail lights are coming in tomorrow and I will have no car to put them on!

Blargh... this just sucks.... keep us informed!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts