Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone seen this on their rims?

[/IMG]

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looks like marks from a tire tool when the center cap was removed for tire / wheel work, etc.
:smoker:

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Unfortunately all wheels will have this problem no matter who makes them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Unfortunately all wheels will have this problem no matter who makes them.
I have a 2008 SRT8 Challenger with 18,000 miles and I driver it everday except on the days it snows. I live in PA with alot of road salt in the winters. My wheels look great with no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
My custom wheels I bought last May are pitting. I know two other Challengers with factory wheels that are pitting. Wheels come in contact with rain that can have all types of chemicals in them including salt. Other than not driving the car when it is wet out or using plastic wheel covers I don't know what you can do.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like marks from a tire tool when the center cap was removed for tire / wheel work, etc.
:smoker:
wouldn't the center cap be scratched also if it was from a tool?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm guessing this won't be covered under warranty

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
No, unless you can prove the damage was caused by a defect in workmanship or materials.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i'm guessing this won't be covered under warranty
You could try. My wife has a Nitro and a lot of people on the Nitro
forum with the chrome clad 20's were getting pitting on the aluminum
edge. Most of them got them replaced by the dealer. It was within the
first year though, not sure how long you've had yours.

·
Premium Member
7,317 Posts
has anyone seen this on their rims?
One of the rims I use for my snow tires look like that (I have 8 OEM 18" rims). I don't really worry about the snow wheels since I only use them for about three months a year.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I noticed the same pits on mine the other day. I've had the car for 28 months (in Florida) and the wheels have only been off once in that time. Seems like they should be covered.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have a 2008 SRT8 Challenger with 18,000 miles and I driver it everday except on the days it snows. I live in PA with alot of road salt in the winters. My wheels look great with no problems at all.
I'm very happy your wheels still look good, but this is exactly what happens to "most" clear coated alloy wheels over time when cars are driven in the winter. It's unavoidable. Road salt and subsequent rainy/humid weather driving will take its toll, period. You should see what happens to the body and suspension over time in places where you don't normally look.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
I have this same type of corrosion on the outer edges of my 20" chrome clads.
It is a bummer, but cannot be avoided if you drive your car year round in the snow belt like me.:(

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have this same type of corrosion on the outer edges of my 20" chrome clads.
It is a bummer, but cannot be avoided if you drive your car year round in the snow belt like me.:(
Your plastic wheels are corroding??? Boy now I simply have no idea what Chrysler was thinking on those silly wheels. I thought maybe at least they wouldn't get screwed up in the winter...sorry to hear that Blue R/T:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
Your plastic wheels are corroding??? Boy now I simply have no idea what Chrysler was thinking on those silly wheels. I thought maybe at least they wouldn't get screwed up in the winter...sorry to hear that Blue R/T:scratchhead:
The very edge of the wheel where the tire seats is the base aluminum.
The chome cladding does not extend that far. (Think the area where the wheel weights are mounted on most wheels)
That's what is corroding.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm very happy your wheels still look good, but this is exactly what happens to "most" clear coated alloy wheels over time when cars are driven in the winter. It's unavoidable. Road salt and subsequent rainy/humid weather driving will take its toll, period. You should see what happens to the body and suspension over time in places where you don't normally look.
My wife's Charger has after-market 20" wheels on her Charger and they have the same problem as what is posted here. However, my stock 2008 SRT8 wheels on my Challenger have zero problems. I guess I am lucky.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I'm jealous...

My wife's Charger has after-market 20" wheels on her Charger and they have the same problem as what is posted here. However, my stock 2008 SRT8 wheels on my Challenger have zero problems. I guess I am lucky.
Maybe you are the chosen one! Would you please bless my car! I will pay cash...I hope your wheels stay that way you lucky dog.:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Maybe you are the chosen one! Would you please bless my car! I will pay cash...I hope your wheels stay that way you lucky dog.:)
No cash needed, you and your car are now officially blessed! (LOL)

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Curios if anyone has noticed this pitting in any area of the wheel other than around the ram head center cap? the pitting I have is all localized in that area. Seems a perfect place for grime to collect and cause damage over time. Only makes it worse that it's a stupid looking center piece cover to begin with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts