Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking for some advise, opinions, suggestions from this group in the South East. Within the next 1-2 years I am planning on moving out of the tax state of New Jersey and heading to a more pension friendly state. I am looking for a location that doesn't get the snow like NJ gets and if it does get snow it is a short winter season. Florida is my last choice to move to since that is where I vacation most of the time.

So you guys and ladies from Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. lets here your recommendations.

March 1 starts first day of retirement.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Congrats on the retirement. Don't have any suggestions on the move. My sister lives in GA. but they got 5'' of snow there too recently.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i am leaving NJ very shortly myself (hopefully mid july), been vacationing in myrtle beach for the last 20+ years and thats where im headed, my target retirement date is june 1st......

·
Registered
999 Posts
can't go wrong with Charleston! Mt Pleasant is a beautiful town next door.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Move to Point Loma So Cal! It don't get any better than that.

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies....Florida is where I vacation several times a year. I just don't want to live there. If it had some mountains and pretty views for motorcycling then it would be perfect....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Pick one of the warmer spots on these lists.
Some are directed at military retirees but most are civilian pension friendly, too.

Military.com | Best Places for Military Retirement

Best Places to Retire - US News Business

best places to retire 2011- Top Retirements
I was just thinking Texas, and funilly enough, half of the places on that first link are all Texas.

Hadn't thought of Arkansas--what's it have to offer?

As for California, I totally agree.
- Very high taxes--both individual and for businesses
- Very crowded
- Horrible gun laws
- Harsh EPA laws
- Nearly bankrupt

I've been struggling with this exact same question myself recently.

I'd love to move back to Calif. to be near my family, but I just can't get myself to trust there's any security in that state.

What do ppl think about Nevada or Oregon?
Nevada:
- no state income tax
- can get snow depending on where you live, probably not much in Vegas.
- Calif. and Ut are both a days drive for snow fun, w/o having to live in it

Oregon:
- no sales tax (could very well change)
- lots of rain
- does it snow also? any mountains for skiing?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
AR has great hunting and fishing. lakes for boating. hilss and fresh air. great real estate prices, not much traffic.
A little snow every year but not so much you start to hate it. its gone as fast as it comes.

The heat can be bad though. It can be in the 90's for a month or two. EVERYONE has (and uses) AC. cost of living is low.

peace and quiet if you want it.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Myrtle beach area, homes are at a 10 year low, taxes are very low. i live just north of the NC/SC border in calabash Nc. only problem is a bunch of oldtimers like me. at least they have gents clubs and the beach gets some fine looking visitors, golf is year long and $25 to $40 for locals. tons of homes and condos for sale.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks for all the replies....Florida is where I vacation several times a year. I just don't want to live there. If it had some mountains and pretty views for motorcycling then it would be perfect....
Sounds like you want East Tennessee (or western NC). Smoky Mountains, beautiful views and the Tail of the Dragon. Sure, you'll still see a little snow now and then, but you're retired - where have you got to go? Just enjoy the beauty!

·
Registered
299 Posts
can't go wrong with Charleston! Mt Pleasant is a beautiful town next door.
Took the words right out of my mouth, lots of good living around the Charleston area and the cost of living is right.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Closest match in Texas would be Hill Country region. Plenty of scenic, winding back roads for driving. Austin or San Antonio would be the big cities on the east edge. Or go right in the middle of it around Kerrville.

Here is link to overview in Wikipedia for an overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_hill_country

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have 5 months to go and have been checking out areas in the southeast. You may want to check out Aiken S.C.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts