Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm planning on big roadtrip next year during late summer or early fall, ( to avoid most traffic and heat/ bad weather)
thinking of doing most of route 66 and probly up P.C.H. and back to central canada.
now this would be a dream ride i've been wanting to do for a long time,
especially now that i bought a new 17 scat pack shaker!
normally i would be very excited to do this with my new car, however , now i'm having second thoughts and i'm thinking of renting ( prbly 5.7 rt chally, with unlmtd. mileage)
the reason being is that i'm so fussy and meticulous with my new car ( i wash/ vacuum after everytime i take my family for a ride) that i would be constantly worrying
about the car and not be able to relax and have fun during the trip:frown:
for reasons such as :
- getting stone chips (passing grave trucks etc.)
- caught in hail storms
-vandalism or door dings at hotels and parking lots
-road hazards, etc
-or worse yet even an accident
so do you guys think i would have more fun driving my own car on this once in a lifetime trip?
or have more fun renting, making the trip more carefree to enjoy the scenery and to not have to worry about my car the entire time?
opinions / suggestions please
thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
While I can relate to your concerns, I agree with the others; take your car. It is just a car, and if you let the worry of damage override the joy of ownership and driving, then you have wasted your money on your car.

Take the car, take a lot of pictures, and enjoy!

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
It's an issue for some, we had a guy here with a new SRT and he couldn't drive it for fear of something happening or getting it dirty. So I'd say do what you like, the car will still be there when you get back.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
So i'm planning on big roadtrip
- getting stone chips (passing grave trucks etc.)
- caught in hail storms: check weather warnings, find a hospital, likely to have a multi story garage you can hide in for a few hours
- vandalism or door dings at hotels and parking lots: just as unavoidable as everyday driving it
- road hazards, etc: See above
- or worse yet even an accident: See above

I say take it!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Drive your car. Why keep it nice for the next guy? Get some chips and dings; once you have them you won't worry as much about the ones you WILL get later regardless. You'll build some valuable memories with your car that will make owning it more special.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any of that stuff can happen anytime you drive it. I would never spend that much money on a car and be afraid to drive it. They are new cars, I know people with Daytona's and Superbirds and they drive the hell out of them. I drive my 68 Charger R/T whenever I can. Cars are made to drive! Yes I beat both my SRT and Charger when ever I feel like it and it is FUN!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,463 Posts
I have owned 2 modern Challengers and have taken both on long road trips. And yes.... your car will get some rock chips and bugs all over it. When you say it is a trip you have always wanted to take why wouldn’t you want to enjoy it in your pride and joy? I can honestly say taking my cars enhanced the trip experience. In fact, I probably wouldn’t have gone on any of them if not for the joy of driving them on the open road. Take it. They are great open road cruisers.....

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/road-trip-374058/index4.html?374058=#post5148986

·
Registered
153 Posts
invest in a clear wrap to protect it from rock chips. I have always wanted to take my car out on a road trip across the country I think you should do it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took a long-planned driving vacation this past summer in my 2016 RT Scat Pack and had many of the same concerns as you; however, I took the car and was very glad I did. We drove from the Midwest out to the Smoky Mountains and loved every minute of the drive. We did about 2,700 miles. My main concern was potential door dings in hotel parking lots, but I was able to find relatively low risk spots in most cases. I did buy a Dent Goalie door guard prior to the trip and that gave me peace of mind. Like most have said - take the car, enjoy and drive it like it was designed to be driven!! Safe travels!

·
Registered
407 Posts
The trip, especially a trip like that, is ALL about doing it in the car you love. I did all of RT 66 a couple years back from Chicago to LA with my daughter and the memories we made in our Challenger will last a lifetime. I want my grandchildren to someday look at all our pics from that trip and see my car in it.

I had to rush back to Chicago and couldn't drive up the PCH like I wanted. I've had opportunities to fly out there, rent a car and do it but it won't be the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the responses you guys...:wink3:
well that sure seemed unanimous! haha
i tell you what, i wouldn't give it a second thought on driving my car if i plan on selling or trading it in a few years,
however i plan on keeping it for many years and possibly giving it to my kids when they are older,
i'm also a worry wart ( always think the worst of things that could happen) which i don't like about myself, and i'm possibly (undiagnosed) O.C.D ! with my property
lol
which makes me so undecided,
but i sure do understand where you guys are coming from!
i love driving the car and it's a great hwy cruiser and i might regret not taking it, when i look back at photos of the trip
well it's a long ways away from now, hopefully my decision will be more clear the closer it comes time
haha

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,463 Posts
I’m going to be keeping mine for a long time too. If you decide not to take it you’ll regret it in the long run. Whatever you decide will be the right decision though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think you'll regret it if you don't take our own car. Take your car on the trip and bring back some cool pictures with it in front of nice backdrops. I just did a 3,000+ mile road trip to Yellowstone from California with my Scat Pack without noticing any damage to it afterwards. Rock chips, door dings and accidents can happen anytime you're out on the road. Road trips in rental cars just aren't the same. This car is to be enjoyed!

If you REALLY wanted to preserve it for future generations you would leave it in the garage and only drive once a week on Sunday night, haha! ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have to agree with all the other posters. You bought it to enjoy it, so enjoy it and don't be a slave to it. You'll enjoy Route 66, been there done that' Took a side trip to Winslow AZ, the town that the Eagles made famous. Checked out the mural of a girl in a flatbed Ford and the statues the town erected of the Eagles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to agree with all the other posters. You bought it to enjoy it, so enjoy it and don't be a slave to it. You'll enjoy Route 66, been there done that' Took a side trip to Winslow AZ, the town that the Eagles made famous. Checked out the mural of a girl in a flatbed Ford and the statues the town erected of the Eagles.
yes, thats one of the places that's on my list along route 66 ,:smile: haha

1 - 20 of 36 Posts