Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, like the title of this, reads I plan on getting a Scat Pack Narrow body Challenger as my daily in the future and had a couple of questions if you don't mind answering...

I can only afford the base model with the plus package and the upgraded music system, are there any other upgrades that you deem essential? or is the base model with an upgraded intorier enough?

I am currently driving a 2013 BMW 3 series 328i xdrive sedan AWD as my daily driver, are Scat Packs hard to drive or will it easy to learn?

I live in Canada and winter gets crazy where I live, if given winter tires and putting like 300 pounds of weight in the trunk will the car handle well in the snow?

If driven normally does the car get decent fuel mileage?

those were my questions, thanks for answering

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pyro! Canada Eh?

I'm Canadian however moved out and now on Southern California... I'm all done with snow unless I drive to it for skiing.

I have a 2016 Scat as my daily driver. Mind you, I work and live in thee same general area so only putting about 20 miles (32 Km) a day. However I have taken it on a few long trips as well as general SoCal driving. Car is super comfortable (my wife thinks it is the best as well) lots of back and leg support.

When it rains out here (infrequently.. but it does from time to time) the road can be rather slick so there is need to really be aware of speed and torque so not to have a problem. There is traction control however unlike most cars where they really prohibit any type of traction loss, I find this one to be looser which is great so you can push it and not have the traction control kick in early.

If you are looking for good gas mileage, I would suggest a different Challenger as the Scat is not something you purchase for gas mileage. It does ok on the freeway, and with casual freeway driving I have seen 26 mpg - but again, gas mileage is not something you purchase this car for.

Car takes a little getting used to if you are not familiar with high HP engine, but tons of fun while you are going through it. Brake system is the best so no worries about ability to control the car.

For me - I love this car. Lots of fun on the road and there are enough performance Challengers in the town that I live in that I have had a lot of "sitting at a red light" conversations with other Challenger owners.

All the best and stay warm!

Cheers-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pyro! Canada Eh?

I'm Canadian however moved out and now on Southern California... I'm all done with snow unless I drive to it for skiing.

I have a 2016 Scat as my daily driver. Mind you, I work and live in thee same general area so only putting about 20 miles (32 Km) a day. However I have taken it on a few long trips as well as general SoCal driving. Car is super comfortable (my wife thinks it is the best as well) lots of back and leg support.

When it rains out here (infrequently.. but it does from time to time) the road can be rather slick so there is need to really be aware of speed and torque so not to have a problem. There is traction control however unlike most cars where they really prohibit any type of traction loss, I find this one to be looser which is great so you can push it and not have the traction control kick in early.

If you are looking for good gas mileage, I would suggest a different Challenger as the Scat is not something you purchase for gas mileage. It does ok on the freeway, and with casual freeway driving I have seen 26 mpg - but again, gas mileage is not something you purchase this car for.

Car takes a little getting used to if you are not familiar with high HP engine, but tons of fun while you are going through it. Brake system is the best so no worries about ability to control the car.

For me - I love this car. Lots of fun on the road and there are enough performance Challengers in the town that I live in that I have had a lot of "sitting at a red light" conversations with other Challenger owners.

All the best and stay warm!

Cheers-
Thanks man, I’m not really worried about gas, mainly going from a 240 HP to a 485HP car but you gotta start somewhere I guess. Just really excited getting something new and fresh like a RWD V8 muscle car.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Scat Pack
10 Posts
I bought a new Scat Pack 6M recently and have managed 3200 miles in less than 2 months. I’m in northern CA and this is my DD- sort of a waste since most miles so far are purely commuter but stretches of highway are part of my daily drive— on ramps are obviously cause for celebration...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Hello everyone, like the title of this, reads I plan on getting a Scat Pack Narrow body Challenger as my daily in the future and had a couple of questions if you don't mind answering...

I can only afford the base model with the plus package and the upgraded music system, are there any other upgrades that you deem essential? or is the base model with an upgraded intorier enough?

I am currently driving a 2013 BMW 3 series 328i xdrive sedan AWD as my daily driver, are Scat Packs hard to drive or will it easy to learn?

I live in Canada and winter gets crazy where I live, if given winter tires and putting like 300 pounds of weight in the trunk will the car handle well in the snow?

I live in Saskatchewan, I've been daily driving a Scat Pack for a few years and it's performed very well. Whereabouts in Canada are you? We live in a big country. Some places like Vancouver don't even really get a winter so I'm kind of curious.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It kinda depends on where you live. I don't necessarily mean Canada but where I used to live winter would be a no go because I had some serious hills with 90 degree turns just to get out of my subdivision. Then I moved to a flat area closer to work where it would be a problem at all with Blizzaks. Now I live a little more rural and it doesn't get plowed right away so I would be back to no way.

You have to judge where you live vs where you work. Most other things can wait for better weather.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
214 Posts
I daily drive my Scat Pack & it’s the only car I have. I live in Miami, FL and traffic is a PITA here sometimes. Gas mileage is something you have to take into account as you will be definitely filling up more often. Highway gets better, but on stop and go traffic, it’s the worst, especially if you get a manual. It’s why I opted for Automatic on mine. But then again, we didn’t get these cars for gas mileage.

The car is very confortable. I have the Nappa/Alcantara seats (Plus Package) & I find these seats a lot more comfortable than the Houndstooth ones.

The Driver Convenience Group is another option that’s really good since these cars have a huge blind spot. It would’ve been nice if my car came with it, since I had it on my GT. But I have learned to live without it & it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

The brakes are amazing on this car. Way better than any other car I have ever driven. Even the stock 4 piston Brembos are amazing

Reactions: Pyromaniac

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,130 Posts
For a daily, you may well consider getting the auto trans, nav, & driver convience group.
Technology group would earn a close spot as well. I personally, for daily use, would choose those over the plus package if money was tight.
For tires, all stock tire options really suck at doing any specific thing, very good.
Tire upgrade is probably the single best bang for the buck you can do.
If you are considering snow tires for part of the year, you would end up money & time ahead after just a few seasons, by grabbing an extra pair of factory rims (ebay) and have winter tires mounted on them. It also has the added benefit of keeping 2 fullsize spares around at all times, shoud the need ever arise.
Id also strongly suggest you do some paint protection, particularly in areas where snow, road salt and other nasty things will eventually chew up your cars painted surfaces. Dodges are not know for strong, hard paint, in fact , just the opposite.
Fuel economy is not going to be great on a scattypack, but with easy driving and use of eco mode on loing drama free driving and you can do "ok" Lower trims certainly do better in this regard, but have the obvious trade off in perf.
Best of luck in your decision and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Saskatchewan, I've been daily driving a Scat Pack for a few years and it's performed very well. Whereabouts in Canada are you? We live in a big country. Some places like Vancouver don't even really get a winter so I'm kind of curious.
I'm in southern Ontario so we can get some crazy winters

I daily drive my Scat Pack & it’s the only car I have. I live in Miami, FL and traffic is a PITA here sometimes. Gas mileage is something you have to take into account as you will be definitely filling up more often. Highway gets better, but on stop and go traffic, it’s the worst, especially if you get a manual. It’s why I opted for Automatic on mine. But then again, we didn’t get these cars for gas mileage.

The car is very confortable. I have the Nappa/Alcantara seats (Plus Package) & I find these seats a lot more comfortable than the Houndstooth ones.

The Driver Convenience Group is another option that’s really good since these cars have a huge blind spot. It would’ve been nice if my car came with it, since I had it on my GT. But I have learned to live without it & it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.

The brakes are amazing on this car. Way better than any other car I have ever driven. Even the stock 4 piston Brembos are amazing
thanks for the advice, I do plan on getting the auto, and the driver's convenience group is something I'm going to look into.

For a daily, you may well consider getting the auto trans, nav, & driver convience group.
Technology group would earn a close spot as well. I personally, for daily use, would choose those over the plus package if money was tight.
For tires, all stock tire options really suck at doing any specific thing, very good.
Tire upgrade is probably the single best bang for the buck you can do.
If you are considering snow tires for part of the year, you would end up money & time ahead after just a few seasons, by grabbing an extra pair of factory rims (ebay) and have winter tires mounted on them. It also has the added benefit of keeping 2 fullsize spares around at all times, shoud the need ever arise.
Id also strongly suggest you do some paint protection, particularly in areas where snow, road salt and other nasty things will eventually chew up your cars painted surfaces. Dodges are not know for strong, hard paint, in fact , just the opposite.
Fuel economy is not going to be great on a scattypack, but with easy driving and use of eco mode on loing drama free driving and you can do "ok" Lower trims certainly do better in this regard, but have the obvious trade off in perf.
Best of luck in your decision and welcome to the forum!
thanks for the advice, for the non-winter season what tire do you recommend? and when it's winter, what do you do to winterize your challenger?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a new Scat Pack 6M recently and have managed 3200 miles in less than 2 months. I’m in northern CA and this is my DD- sort of a waste since most miles so far are purely commuter but stretches of highway are part of my daily drive— on ramps are obviously cause for celebration...
YES! - Freeway Onramps are absolute heaven! Hitting the main freeway at 80+ is pure joy.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,000 Posts
I live in Alaska (not far from anchorage) and often daily drive my hellcat. A good set of winter tires (ideally studded if legal). The issues you can face are ice and snow depth. Deeper snow will be an issue with hills as will ice on hills. The electronic stability control system is very good so on flat ground driving is not an issue however it will not be your awd BMW. If you have the money a winter wheel/tire package in the 18 inch size will give a much larger choice in tire sizes. Currently I am running studded Hakapillitas and I think they are great. I have also used both blizzaks and Pirelli scorpion snow and Ice however neither come studded and they are not as good on ice.

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
143 Posts
I daily drive my scat pack currently about 80-100% of the work week, 6M since August. While in the beginning I took it easy and drove the old minivan 70% of the time to avoid rock chips and inevitable door dings, I later enjoyed driving it so much I did what I can (park farther away from cars at work). Its a 26 mile round trip, some traffic in the beginning and a little on base but mainly freeway miles, less now because of Covid. I am light footed but I have a little fun here and there. So far I have been averaging 15.6 mpg, if you get the MDS you will probably get better mileage. The remaining 20% of the week I'll take the motorcycle or the minivan if I need the cargo space.
As far as options, I would say get the Driver's Convenience group. It has helped me alot with blind spots even though I still use the mirrors and peek over. And great for parking and knowing the limits on the side and the back. I didn't get any Nav since the car comes with Apple Carplay and Android Auto so I would just plug in my phone and it mirrors it to the car screen. And I live on an island so you can't really get way lost. I splurged a little bit but if I was going spartan and wanted the basics I would still make sure I got that package.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I live in Alaska (not far from anchorage) and often daily drive my hellcat. A good set of winter tires (ideally studded if legal). The issues you can face are ice and snow depth. Deeper snow will be an issue with hills as will ice on hills. The electronic stability control system is very good so on flat ground driving is not an issue however it will not be your awd BMW. If you have the money a winter wheel/tire package in the 18 inch size will give a much larger choice in tire sizes. Currently I am running studded Hakapillitas and I think they are great. I have also used both blizzaks and Pirelli scorpion snow and Ice however neither come studded and they are not as good on ice.
I wonder if studs are legal in Canada. That would also make a difference.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts

Bought a 2018 Scat Pack in Dec. 2017. Then traded it in for Hellcat. Then just about a month ago I traded in the Hellcat for a 2020 Scat Pack.

For me the "essential" upgrades are auto climate control, intermittent wipers, auto dimming mirrors, cruise control. The side of the car proximity feature is nice.

Back up camera if it is an option. The proximity sensors of the back up camera system of my Scat Pack are too sensitive which makes backing the car in a parking space with vehicles on either side sometimes a pain. But I'd rather have it than not have it. Many times I prefer to back in a space. I can back the car in and use the rear view camera to get the rear of the car very close to the curb without making contact with anything.

Oh, and summer high performance tires. These (Pirelli) on my 2020 Scat Pack are fantastic compared to the (same brand) all season crap tires on my Hellcat (and my first Scat Pack).

While I do not need to bother with winter tires where I live -- the few times there is any snow or even rain I can drive my 2nd vehicle -- in your case you need to get a set of real winter/snow tires mounted on their own set of wheels and use this during the winter. With my cars over the years a few bags of sand -- put in large plastic tubs -- in the trunk help. No need to go overboard but a few hundred pounds. Put the bags in tubs so if the bag splits or you have to open a bag to spread sand to get unstuck the sand doesn't make a mess in the trunk.

Get a suitable "kinetic" tow rope and from a hardware store buy some "lifting" hardware like u-bolts so you can connect the tow rope to the car's eye bolt to have the car pulled out of a snow bank. Or if you don't feel comfortable doing this just have a premium membership in an auto club and make the call.

Keep the windshield washer tank full. When I lived in colder climes a nearby gas station/truck stop would have a pallet of windshield washer fluid gallon jugs sitting outside. I'd wait for a below freezing cold spell and then select a couple of plastic jugs of this stuff with no ice/slush in the fluid.

Compared to my Hellcat the Scat Pack feels smaller and lighter. I have driven a number of cars from a 90hp VW Gofl TDi to a 420hp Porsche 996 Turbo and beyond to a 707hp Hellcat and the Scat Pack is just a car. But like every other car you have to respect its power. Rear wheel drive with considerable power in marginal traction conditions will require some "learning" but really not much more just becoming familiar with the car. Remember the real problem in marginal traction conditions is not the going but the slowing, and turning.

Driven normally in mostly suburban driving my Scat Pack manages 15mpg. With more highway miles I'd hazard a guess it would deliver 20mpg or more.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
369 Posts
Perfectly easy.. No need for snow tires or extra weight in the trunk. You'll be fine and have a blast.
To each their own. How much snow do you get? I am a believer in snow tires personally, for all my vehicles. I won't be driving mine scat in the snow but would think snow tires are a must of I was.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
To each their own. How much snow do you get? I am a believer in snow tires personally, for all my vehicles. I won't be driving mine scat in the snow but would think snow tires are a must of I was.
Agree with you. While I have driven a number of cars -- high performance cars -- in the snow on summer tires I was foolish but fortunately didn't pay the price. Had a few close calls which scared some sense into me.

Besides dealing with the snow the tires help in just cold temperatures. The fantasitic tires on my Porsche cars and with my 2020 Scat Pack are only fantastic in summer/warm weather. Get the temperature down to under 40F and the tires do not grip nearly as well as they do when temperatures are higher. Where I lived before temperatures below 40F were not that common. But I have lived in areas where the temperatures can get much lower. Even with no snow -- which in my experience these cold temperatures are more often than not accompanied by snow -- the snow tires are just better in the cold temperatures.

Putting some ballast in the trunk is a "trick" I learned a long time ago as a kid watching my Dad add ballast to the trunk of the car. Generally rear wheel drive cars a light in the rear and a bit of extra weight helps the tires grip better. The weight will not make snow tires unnecessary but will help them perform better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I daily drive my scat pack currently about 80-100% of the work week, 6M since August. While in the beginning I took it easy and drove the old minivan 70% of the time to avoid rock chips and inevitable door dings, I later enjoyed driving it so much I did what I can (park farther away from cars at work). Its a 26 mile round trip, some traffic in the beginning and a little on base but mainly freeway miles, less now because of Covid. I am light footed but I have a little fun here and there. So far I have been averaging 15.6 mpg, if you get the MDS you will probably get better mileage. The remaining 20% of the week I'll take the motorcycle or the minivan if I need the cargo space.
As far as options, I would say get the Driver's Convenience group. It has helped me alot with blind spots even though I still use the mirrors and peek over. And great for parking and knowing the limits on the side and the back. I didn't get any Nav since the car comes with Apple Carplay and Android Auto so I would just plug in my phone and it mirrors it to the car screen. And I live on an island so you can't really get way lost. I splurged a little bit but if I was going spartan and wanted the basics I would still make sure I got that package.
thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure the driver's convenience group comes with the plus group, or at least it's checked when I choose the plus package.

I wonder if studs are legal in Canada. That would also make a difference.
There not legal where I live, unfortunately, they would've been a lot of help.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure the driver's convenience group comes with the plus group, or at least it's checked when I choose the plus package.
DCG is a required option when you order Plus.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts