Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I have a stock '16 Challenger SXT. I want to dip my hands into a cheap mod for my vehicle. I have stock wheels and tires on my 16. My GOAL is to Plasti Dip them black w/ a coat of glossifier? and then add red pinstripe (vinyl ?) to the rims. I planned on using the what of the aerosol spray can holders. I am looking for advice on things I should and shouldn't do or tips to make sure they come out as close to jet black as possible. I am currently plan on painting the wheel while they are still on the vehicle, tips on how to properly mask the brake and rotors so i don't mess them up and then how to remove it with out affecting the plasti dip. Also is Plasti Dip worth the time vs spending the money for a powder coat on the wheels?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I recommend looking up DipYourCar on youtube and watching their videos, particularly the ones about dipping wheels. They explain everything in detail.

I would recommend practicing spraying plastidip on a test panel or a speed shape (they have these for cheap on dipyourcar.com). I have a lot of experience painting guitars and I find plastidip kind of difficult to get to lay down 100% smoothly using the spray cans. Using a sprayer is better but don't worry about messing with all that extra equipment just to do your wheels.

Watch those videos and practice a little and you'll be able to get what you want fairly easily.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Make sure the wheels are very clean and warm. Setting them out in the sun helps. Also I saw were you can put the spray cans in a bucket of warm water to warm them up. This helps out a lot in getting a smooth finish. Also use very light coats and don't get in a hurry. As stated above find something to practice on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to plasti dip when it first started being a thing. I did some wheels and they last somewhat a good amount of time. But after a while they just start getting dirty and even with a wash they look kind of messy. I wasn't expert at plasti dipping but a lot of people would bring me their cars for work. Especially wheels. It's a cheap mod and even if it starts peeling off and stuff, it's easy to redo. Personally, if you plan on having those rims for a while, I would do something permanently, but if you look forward to buying wheels to replace your stocks, then plasti dipping them would be an idea for now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What 1968rt said about warming the cans in water. Big difference. Also make sure it's thick enough, or it won't peel off all that easy. I usually make my coats progressively wetter when applying.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dipped my wheels after I first got my car. It was an inexpensive mod. The trick is to remove the wheel from the car, wash it well, and put it somewhere warm to apply the dip. Apply several coats while letting it dry 8-10 minutes in between. Don't worry about getting it on the tires because it will easily peel off from them. However, after a few months your wheels will look very dull. Today I had my wheels powder coated and couldn't be more happy. The first picture is with the dipped wheels on a clean car.......The second pic is from today with the powder coated wheels on a dirty car.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's pretty much the same thing. There are higher end removable coatings but they're not available in spray cans.

The reason plastidip gets dull after a while is because of its rubber texture. It attracts a lot of brake dust and dirt. Dip Your Car has a product called Dip Coat that will reduce that rubber feeling a lot.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Not a great picture but I can attest to the durability. These are after about 3 years of being dipped by myself using a spray can. Didn't get one chip at all and never peeled.

I highly recommend you remove them and don't have to worry about masking plus you spray as you roll the wheel. Much more comfortable than trying to spray upside down.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts

I dipped mine last spring and it held up very well. Of course it will come off when I change the tires
this spring but it was a fun mod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts