Dodge Challenger Forum banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Thanks for being condescending. That helps and makes you look cool.

Oh for crying out loud. It was not my intention to berate or be condescending to you. That you took it that way however, is not my issue.

I simply suggested that you try a product before you offer up opinions regarding it's value. You have never tried the product so you have no experience with it and you have an apparant bias toward Krylon so your opinion (either good or bad) on plasti-dip is without merit.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your kindness continues. It shows your arrogance and lack of humility. I feel sorry for your family or anyone that you work with.
I don't recall ever mentioning that I did or did not try the product in question. It may be great stuff. I just wondered how a product touted as being non permanent can be durable. Your defense of it shows a far greater bias than my reference of Krylon. Do you have a vested interest in this products success? Are your future retirement goals based on the stock value of this stuff?
Commenting negatively when someone questions the integrity of a product shows that you don't like it when someone disagrees with you. Guess what? Not all people think or feel the same way. I do not work for you and I am not one of your children. I don't have to share your opinion.

·
Registered
2013 Core
820 Posts
See that is where I doubt the value of this stuff. Why paint a high exposure area like the exterior with this stuff? Won't it peel away under normal daily use?
I sanded, primered, sanded, and krylon painted the bumpers of my jeep. They chipped and rusted in two years. I ran a DA over them and hit them with plasti dip. The dip has lasted longer and held up better than the paint. Each year I wash them and lay down another layer of dip just to freshen them up.

I plasti dipped the grille on my brothers new JK. I didn't even bother to wipe it down. The plasti dip has held up perfectly so far. When he's tired of it, he can peel it off and have a like new grille.

Can't do any of that with krylon.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
well that's what I was hoping.. last time I painted a grill with Krylon it chipped and looked like general crap in a few months. the promise of Plasti-Dip being what it is has led me to dip my grill surround hoping for a more durable, less rock chipping finish that if I decide I don't like it I can peel it off. what I understand it can be "peeled off' but if applied correctly won't just peel off on it's own.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lets not start a fight please, we are a family........

i have great reviews about plasti dip, i have done wheels, grills, spoilers, tail lights, side markers and alot of interior stuff...

I have used the power wash at the car washes many many times and drove it in winter too, and this product just doesnt peel off...i am very surprised.....when i use plasti dip i do start small coats so it can stick real good to the wheels ect....it helps alot....

This is just my honest opinion.

thank you

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've used the stuff and it is great for temporary use. Especially if you are figuring out if you want to paint something or if you change your mind every couple months. However, when I had them on my truck wheels they wouldn't do well against chipping and you're constantly recoating. I think the stuff is great, as long as your expectations are realistic for what it is.

Also, some people on the internet just enjoy making other angry. Just ignore and stop feeding the trolls.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Today, I used the dip on the fake chrome grill, the dodge letters on the back, and the fuel door. Got too dark for pics as I finished up. ?

Here's the work in progress. Thanks for the tips and ideas guys!
ImageUploadedByAG Free1424049323.435327.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1424049335.853893.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1424049351.007725.jpg

2015 SXT Plus, STP, SGII, Granite

·
Registered
516 Posts
I sanded, primered, sanded, and krylon painted the bumpers of my jeep. They chipped and rusted in two years. I ran a DA over them and hit them with plasti dip. The dip has lasted longer and held up better than the paint. Each year I wash them and lay down another layer of dip just to freshen them up.

I plasti dipped the grille on my brothers new JK. I didn't even bother to wipe it down. The plasti dip has held up perfectly so far. When he's tired of it, he can peel it off and have a like new grille.

Can't do any of that with krylon.

Impressive. Maybe the Plasti-Dip has a less porous finish, preventing water to penetrate? I have painted with Rustoleum, Krylon and others and had great results. I'm speaking of engine brackets, axle housings, radiators, etc. I guess I can see the benefit of a temporary coating if you have trouble envisioning what it will look like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Redid the original red stripe using a pearl candy green that's very close to Sublime Green.
Did the "dodge" letters in matching color.

Indoor shots were before final clean up, so uneven edges shown are no longer there in the final product.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As of yet there's no bright, reflective plastidip finishes. There are some metallic finishes, but nothing like chrome. You'd have to use vinyl or something along those lines.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Your kindness continues. It shows your arrogance and lack of humility. I feel sorry for your family or anyone that you work with.
I don't recall ever mentioning that I did or did not try the product in question. It may be great stuff. I just wondered how a product touted as being non permanent can be durable. Your defense of it shows a far greater bias than my reference of Krylon. Do you have a vested interest in this products success? Are your future retirement goals based on the stock value of this stuff?
Commenting negatively when someone questions the integrity of a product shows that you don't like it when someone disagrees with you. Guess what? Not all people think or feel the same way. I do not work for you and I am not one of your children. I don't have to share your opinion.

Riiiiight...Ok I thought we were discussing the merits of plasti-dip :scratchhead:. However , you seem to be on a completely different tangent that I won't try to figure out or further address. Carry on, take care and have a good week

·
Registered
489 Posts
Impressive. Maybe the Plasti-Dip has a less porous finish, preventing water to penetrate? I have painted with Rustoleum, Krylon and others and had great results. I'm speaking of engine brackets, axle housings, radiators, etc. I guess I can see the benefit of a temporary coating if you have trouble envisioning what it will look like.
plastidip is like liquid vinyl. once it dries, it's like a sticker. the durability, protection, and texture resemble that of vinyl as well.

does that help you with your concerns about it and the comparison to paint? a proper paint will always be superior. but proper plastidip will be jsut as permanent and as durable as a sticker. but because it's sprayed and not just a sticky sheet you're putting on something, the shapes you can cover with it are limitless. that's the advantage. you can't get a vinyl overlay for the grill surround... but you can plastidip it. all you have to do is clean it. no sanding required.

so the original finish stays intact, and is protected by your new coating. and can be reapplied at will. it's not paint, it's a spray on sticker.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I did my mirrors but didn't come out smooth. More like the rubberish texture. I mean it looks amazing but I rather have a smoother finish. I think I sprayed it from too far back.
Can I wet sand it with a 2000 sand paper?
ImageUploadedByAG Free1431534126.957596.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
489 Posts
i would just peel it off and try again. get closer, go slower, spray it thicker than you would paint.

do a couple coats, and then do a couple glossifier coats too. it's the clear coat. it helps smooth the texture to more of a satin finish instead of a flat one.

141 - 160 of 187 Posts