Dodge Challenger Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did my mirrors but didn't come out smooth. More like the rubberish texture. I mean it looks amazing but I rather have a smoother finish. I think I sprayed it from too far back.
Can I wet sand it with a 2000 sand paper?
View attachment 449434

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I did see a video where a guy sanded them down with 2000 grit sandpaper...

I guess the trick is to get closer instead of further away...

I got that VELT feeling when I did my rims...

·
Registered
489 Posts
yes. the best method to get a good coat with plastidip would make spray paint run. so don't be afraid to get closer, slow down, and lay it a little thicker.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Classic
154 Posts
Have any of you used the anthracite grey plasti-dip? I'm thinking of darkening my fuel door, and I have the super-track pak "hyper-black" wheels - it seems like the anthracite would match them.

Also, I'm noticing that it looks like everyone just leaves the door closed and sprays the whole thing (with it still attached to the car) - do you eventually open the door and paint the inner works, or not even bother?

·
Registered
516 Posts
plastidip is like liquid vinyl. once it dries, it's like a sticker. the durability, protection, and texture resemble that of vinyl as well.

so the original finish stays intact, and is protected by your new coating. and can be reapplied at will. it's not paint, it's a spray on sticker.

THIS makes sense. This has to be the best explanation so far. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did my fuel door. It's easy to remove as I have a 2011 so there are no screws.
Just pull down the wheel liner and reach up to squeeze the 4 clips and it pops out.
You have to remove the fuel cap first of course and then the rubber sleeve just slides off of the fill pipe. Just replace the cap and you can work on it at your leisure.
I covered the center circle and I highlite the letters with red permanent marker.
If it fades it just takes seconds to reapply.
I'm sure there is a step by step on how to remove it I just can't find it right now. FOUND IT!
It shows removing screws cause it's for an older model.
Hope this helps..
(OO [::::::::::::::::SRT:::] OO)

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love PLASTI DIP. what a great tool for designing ideas and if they don't look right you just peel it away. what are some of the uses that you have used PLASTI DIP on? here a a few on mine. Some have since been swithed over to actuall paint though because the PLASTI DIP worked out as I hoped it would and needed the durability of paint. But without the PLASTI DIP I would have NEVER done it with paint first.

Yes the aluminum plenum ( side not it doesn't stick real well to the coating they used on it )

My home made phantom grill insert

How did you make your homemade phantom grill?

·
Registered
489 Posts
looks like basic expanded metal from the hardware store and some door trim edge guard wrapped around it. pretty clever.

i'd love to know how it attaches.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger 2015 SXT Plus
86 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,234 Posts
Dipped my plenum cover.

How it looked out of the box (manufacturer's picture)

Here's how it looks after 4 coats of matte black Plasti-Dip, and 3 coats of gloss clear, before installation:

And installed:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here is a shot where you can see the fuel door and the side markers. I love this stuff.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1431896273.915560.jpg

2015 SXT Plus, STP, SGII, Granite

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I think I'm gonna plasti dip my wheels next week. Has anybody used the graphite metalizer on black plasti dip? Does it still look mostly black? I have a black challenger and looking to murder everything out.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Classic
154 Posts
Graphite pearl metalized my fuel door today - a decent match for the 2015 super track pak wheels (which clashed with the chrome fuel door, IMO). I was gonna peel out the center cap, but decided I kinda like the whole thing in the same color.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used Plasti Dip to black out all of the side markers, back reflectors and DODGE letters and ended up with a ton leftover. I decided to try doing stripes just to see how they'd turn out. I started with one stripe at a time but that was way too hard to mask off and spray the second one. Ended up peeling off the first one and masking and spraying both at the same time. Whole process only took about 30mins and just one really thick coat. The side markers and letters are 5-6 lighter coats.

1st attempt

2nd attempt right after spray. Masking tape peeled while wet to get the clean lines.

As it dries it lightens up

Final product

The rest before and after

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER 2015
43 Posts
I'm thinking of plastic dipping my spoiler, has anyone done this? and can you share the pictures please.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone plasti dipped their wheel center caps? I have the black wheels with chrome Dodge center caps. Do they just pop off with a flathead or how else are they held on?

161 - 180 of 187 Posts