Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone sprayed there steering wheel trims? Is it possible to do with out bothering the steering wheel. I need help ASAP I want to do this today

·
Registered
101 Posts
pop them out with a plastic spatula. I wraped mine from my 300 in carbon fiber wrap. easy to do.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep, those will just pop out. It's the 2011 and up models that are screwed in.
I have a '13.. Can I unscrew them with the wheel still on ? How difficult is it ? I dont understand why they are silver colored. Nothing else in the interior is that color. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Not too difficult. Wheel stays on, but need to remove/loosen the airbag.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal first and let it sit a few minutes before unbolting the airbag. This lets any charge to leave the airbag (I did 15 minutes to be safe).

When I painted mine, I was a bit nervous about breaking the wiring clip to the airbag, so after unbolting the airbag, I just let it hang there. Still didn't sit in front of it the whole time (just to be safe, but it didn't go off). Might be able to get the side inserts out without unhooking the airbag, but the two side ones slip under the bag, so it makes it a lot easier to do if you just unbolt the bag. Besides, the wire clips to the controls on the insert are short and you need room to unhook those easily.

Have a variety of small star screw bits on hand before taking the inserts off. Once you take the 10mm bolts (one on each side to undo the airbag) and the small star screws (one on each side to undo the inserts) there are 3 or 4 smaller star screws holding the control pods in the insert. The bottom insert is easy, you can feel the star screws behind it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK, that scares the $&*+ out of me... So I'm gonna have to find another way around that. Maybe a vinyl of sorts... Or something else. Or.. Just deal with it being silver :icon_frown: But I TOTALLY APPRECIATE your responce ! :thanks:

·
Registered
178 Posts
You could ask a body shop to paint them for you.
Good idea. I might look into that ! That may be my only option at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts