Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking into Plasti Dipping my emblems to give it a different look. I’ve seen entire cars done in this (which alarms me a tad) but I only want to do the emblems. Anyone done this before? Does it work and look good? Or is it not worth it? Will it hold up when it gets washed in a car wash?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hey all,

I am looking into Plasti Dipping my emblems to give it a different look. I’ve seen entire cars done in this (which alarms me a tad) but I only want to do the emblems. Anyone done this before? Does it work and look good? Or is it not worth it? Will it hold up when it gets washed in a car wash?
Nothing survives in a car wash.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,312 Posts
In the hands of amateurs, Plasti-dip can be an inexpensive and easy way to make mods; in the hands of professionals, it can be used to create art.

Read the directions on the can and follow them; they're easy, and the great thing about Plasti-dip is that if you don't like the results, it's easy to remove.

Plasti-dip is surprisingly durable. I used it to paint the plenum cover over my intake, and it never peeled or showed signs of being affected by all the heat.

You do have to be careful about cleaning it. If you use it on your emblems: (1) Never try to clean it after it's been outside in the heat; that "softens" it up enough that it might peel as you wipe it down; (2) never spray it directly with a power washer when washing your car, the force of the water might lift parts of it up.

That said, if allowed to dry and cure properly, and barring any impacts on the surface, you should be fine for a looong time. My son dipped his wheels, and it's been over two years and thousands of miles, and they still look the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone has pictures of their items after getting washed, that would be great! Would they be fine if I hand washed the vehicle? Or is it just all washing would harm the coated emblems? Thank you guys!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If anyone has pictures of their items after getting washed, that would be great! Would they be fine if I hand washed the vehicle? Or is it just all washing would harm the coated emblems? Thank you guys!
Honestly, plasti dip is if you aren't sure how it's going to look and might want to remove it.

You still have to prep the area just as if you were painting, so why not just... paint it?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I plasti-dipped the front and rear Chevy bowties on my 2012 Impala YEARS ago - and even with regular car washes (mostly hand washes, but some automatic car washes too), the dip is still in place and doing fine. No special prep is needed for plasti-dip (like you do with paint). Just clean off what you are dipping, tape off anything that you don't want to get the plasti-dip on and spray away (although, it's easy to remove if you do get it on something you didn't want to). When I wash my car my hand, I don't do anythng special to clean the dipped emblems. Can spray them with the "Jet" setting on the hose nozzle and/or wipe them with a wash mit, etc. The stuff is pretty durable - especially when just used for emblems.

Make sure you put a good 4 or 5 coats on - at least. That will make it more durable and also make it easier to remove if you ever want to remove it. I also used a little glossifier on mine to give them a little "shine"....

I would NOT dip my wheels or even my grillles (tried it on my grille in the Impala and it didn't last too long before it started peeling). I would really only use it for small stuff like emblems.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Here are some pictures of the emblems I dipped on my Impala (both were gold - dipped front emblem white to match body color and dipped rear emblem black):

Here is what they looked like before dipping - ugly gold color that didn't match anything else on the car:

Here is the front after dipping it white:

Here is the rear after dipping it black:

Like I said, they've been dipped for years and still look fine, even after MANY washes.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
A few years ago I plast-dipped the silver bright trim going around the center console...around the shifter...that thing was so damn bright and I was getting crazy glare from the sun....I simply popped it out and painted it with black plasti-dip and it's been good ever since. It is pretty durable, especially for interior parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts