Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a plastic or styrofoam type material bag got stuck underneath my car in the undercarriage. Not sure how that happened. Someone must have littered and I drove through it and it got stuck. Well the heat of the car melted it so now I got plastic that hardened underneath my car. It looks to mostly be located on the exhaust thing. Is it an urgent matter? I don't want it to destroy my car, is it more of an aesthetic thing now? It's hard to get to it without lifting the car up with a jack or something. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I ripped some of them off pictured below but it's hard to reach and some of it is a little hard. Is there some sort of de-plastic gel or something like goo off or something to remove vinyl sticker residue that might also work? I'm sure will harden when cold and be soft when hot. Not sure if the dealership could help me

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
409 Posts
If it ain't blocking airflow to the front I wouldn't think twice about it - it'll burn off eventually. If it bugs you that much, stick your arm under there and scrub with a wire brush or Scotch Brite pad - done.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Had this happen to my cars over the years. (One a mid engine car and the other with the engine in the rear and the exhaust system exposed to considerable trash as a result.)

(In fact, one time with my mid engine car I had something end up in the accessory drive where it made a noise. Didn't know it at the time and as a precaution had the car flat bedded to the dealer. After the flat bed tow truck dropped off the car started the engine and no noise. What ever it was blew out on the 30 mile freeway ride to the dealer. SM and senior tech said they see this often though. Turns out a piece of paper or plastic bag gets caught.)

For stuff that contacts the hot exhaust it will eventually char away. You may detect a burning plastic odor occasionally as this proceeds.

If you want to remove the plastic with the car cold I'm thinking get an aerosol can of chill spray (used this as work to cool electronic components) and spray it on the plastic to make it cold and brittle. Then use a putty knife to knock/scrape the plastic off. At least the worst of it. What remains will "burn" off over time.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,328 Posts
Use a scraper, putty knife, or chisel while cold, and remove the majority of it. After driving it, using a pair of thick, leather gloves, then clean what residual stuff remains with a putty knife.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
254 Posts
Yup, like other said, let it burn off or get under the car and scrape off what you can. What I can see in the pictures won't hurt anything.

I once ran over a big piece of plastic wrap on the road in a Caravan. Looked under the car at the next stop and didn't see anything. Then after a while started smelling plastic burning. Got all the way under and turned out the plastic wrap got caught on the axle and wrapped completely around it which is why I couldn't see it when just glancing under the car. I just cut off what I could and the little bit remaining that melted on the exhaust just burned off. No harm done.

But why is it, when there's a plastic bag on the road, and no matter how you try to avoid it, there's always that one gust of wind at the last moment that puts it right in front of your car?

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
418 Posts
Yup, like other said, let it burn off or get under the car and scrape off what you can. What I can see in the pictures won't hurt anything.
Agreed. Although with letting it slowly burn off there is that smell coming from under the car...which creates a nervous knot in your stomach, even though you know what it is.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Agreed. Although with letting it slowly burn off there is that smell coming from under the car...which creates a nervous knot in your stomach, even though you know what it is.
Agree. I do not recall with any other cars having this problem. My first exposure to the something burning odor first came to my attention after I bought my Boxster, a mid engine car. I smelled hot rubber, hot engine, and exhaust and even hot brakes. The engine was located right behind the cabin and there was a lot of engine, exhaust and running gear all crammed in that area of the car.

The engine and particularly the exhaust system was subject to a lot of trash kicked up by the front tires. Additionally if the radiator fans were running -- one at each front corner of the car -- the air blast from these -- directed down just ahead of the front wheel wells -- raised clouds of dust and small bits of trash when driving at slow speeds.

In the winter with rain or snow/slush the ozone like smell arising from water hitting hot stainless steel was common, too.

I sort of got "used" to these odors but still every time there for a moment I was thinking the odor was signaling something serious.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long does it take to completely burn off? I'm assuming the brown stain from the burnt plastic is a common side effect. There's still a good chunk of it on there. Is it like a few months of driving to naturally go away? Would it require like a 6 hour road trip to heat it off? I usually drive 1 hour one way trips nowadays

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
A rogue plastic bag swirling in the wind in front of your car on the road is no different or worse then running over previously smashed skunk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
How long does it take to completely burn off? I'm assuming the brown stain from the burnt plastic is a common side effect. There's still a good chunk of it on there. Is it like a few months of driving to naturally go away? Would it require like a 6 hour road trip to heat it off? I usually drive 1 hour one way trips nowadays
I would just get under there and scrape off (putty knife/razor scrapper) and get it over with

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,652 Posts
I would think normal wear and tear would eventually take care of it. Wind, heat from the exhaust, water from the road etc.. should pretty much clean it all off eventually.

Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
In my experience it did not take long. Certainly not a few months. My memory is I'd catch a whiff of the odor of burning plastic then no more. Now it may have been the wind was just not right and the plastic was still there.

Also, it depends upon just what got stuck. A small thin piece of plastic like the wrapper around a pack of cigarettes wrapper would not last long. But a plastic shopping bag could take a while to char away.

A long road trip may not have the exhaust as hot as you might imagine. Running around town not only gets the engine plenty hot but after a while the entire exhaust system is hot.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my experience it did not take long. Certainly not a few months. My memory is I'd catch a whiff of the odor of burning plastic then no more. Now it may have been the wind was just not right and the plastic was still there.

Also, it depends upon just what got stuck. A small thin piece of plastic like the wrapper around a pack of cigarettes wrapper would not last long. But a plastic shopping bag could take a while to char away.

A long road trip may not have the exhaust as hot as you might imagine. Running around town not only gets the engine plenty hot but after a while the entire exhaust system is hot.
It looked to be a stronger thicker mesh like plastic bag, one of those that look like it keeps jasmine rice in something

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It looked to be a stronger thicker mesh like plastic bag, one of those that look like it keeps jasmine rice in something
In that case you might consider getting good access under the car and removing the stuff. Wait until the engine/exhaust is cool. You might even try some of the chiller in an aerosol can which will make the plastic rather brittle. Use a putty knife or something similar.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In that case you might consider getting good access under the car and removing the stuff. Wait until the engine/exhaust is cool. You might even try some of the chiller in an aerosol can which will make the plastic rather brittle. Use a putty knife or something similar.
Will the chiller damage the pipe?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,744 Posts
It will biodegrade within 1,000 years...honestly, it will never all burn off, in fact, it will bake on. If it bothers you, a wire brush, sandpaper, etc.

A Guy

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will biodegrade within 1,000 years...honestly, it will never all burn off, in fact, it will bake on. If it bothers you, a wire brush, sandpaper, etc.

A Guy
Not what I was hoping to hear but might be the only way. I would be okay if it was a bit discolored but I just didn't like that it was still taking up space density wise.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a car jack or some safe way to get my car up in my garage? It's hard to reach that spot without getting the car up

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,608 Posts
I noticed a plastic or styrofoam type material bag got stuck underneath my car in the undercarriage. Not sure how that happened. Someone must have littered and I drove through it and it got stuck. Well the heat of the car melted it so now I got plastic that hardened underneath my car. It looks to mostly be located on the exhaust thing. Is it an urgent matter? I don't want it to destroy my car, is it more of an aesthetic thing now? It's hard to get to it without lifting the car up with a jack or something. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I ripped some of them off pictured below but it's hard to reach and some of it is a little hard. Is there some sort of de-plastic gel or something like goo off or something to remove vinyl sticker residue that might also work? I'm sure will harden when cold and be soft when hot. Not sure if the dealership could help me

View attachment 995483 View attachment 995484 View attachment 995485
It happened to me when my Shaker was new, so I just replaced the entire exhaust system.

BTW, my new exhaust system was already on order when it happened...

·
Registered
14,535 Posts
Guess it depends what it is, I had a some kind of plastic bag get hung up on the side tailpipe of my truck and I too figured it would eventually burn away. Well, traded the truck 8 years later and
you could still see it!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts