Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to work out a way to install a trunk net going from side to side. There are two plastic rivits on each side of the trunk about 1.5 feet back. How do I remove or loosen these without damaging them? The heads seem flimsy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
they are flimsy. I just removed a bunch to install strut brace. I just grabbed the liner and rocked back and forth until they pop out. Or I used a screwdriver to start. They will be deformed, but regain some of the shape after a day. I re-used a few old ones, but also reordered 4 from Dodge. Aftermarket ones did NOT fit

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
If you have a auto body/paint supply store in your area, you will probably find the exact rivets, scrivets, etc there for a fraction of what the Dealer charges.
I not talking about Autozone, Advance, etc but a real autobody/auto paint supply store.

We have two in our area and the city is not very large.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Try googling "nutserts". They make alot of different sizes. If you don't mind opening the hole up,,,,step 1, go to local pull-a-part or similar and look thru all the trunks to find the twist on tie down hooks. Some have a stud some have a hole in them. Try to find the ones with the ones with studs so that you can screw them into the nutserts. Step 2, find the nutserts that fit your tie down hooks. push the nutsert into the hole that fits the nutsert narrow end first. Then screw in the tie down hook. As you do it will "rivet" the nutsert into the hole. Will it hold a full beer keg? Probably not but it should hold a 24 pack or so...Have done this on other vehicles but it is on the list for the Challanger.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Just get a plastic rivet gun and rivets from Harbor Freight for those throw-away rivets. It'll come in handy for many things. $14.99

1 - 6 of 6 Posts