Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the phone with a guy from 'highhorse performance' today looking at picking up an intake for my Challenger.

I was all set on choosing the Mopar when the guy mentioned that it was no good because it is a metal intake and the metal gets hot and turns your cold air intake into a HOT air intake!

He recommended a few others, made of plastic, mainly the CFE Stage 2, or the K&N... he also said going with a plastic intake can net as much as 8hp more than the metal Mopar intake???

I was wondering what your opinions are related to intake material? I hear what he's saying and I suppose it makes sense that a plastic intake wont heat up like a metal one will, but MAN they look like CRAP compared to a nice metal intake (like Mopar).

What do you guys think? (i'm still leaning towards trying the new Mopar cold-air intake that goes into the fender... anyone try it yet?)

·
Registered
94 Posts
i ordered the Mopar cai today i think the aluminum looks uber cool! . i don't know about a 8hp gain from plastic though, i kinda think plastic grabs and retains heat longer than aluminum would, im no physicist by any means but i have yet to see a heat sink made of plastic , in computers,TV's,ovens even in commercial coffee machines the heat sinks are made of aluminum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would love to hear more information on this as well. I think the problem with plastic and processor heat would be the melting point compared to other materials for heat sinks. But I wonder if operated at lower degrees whether or not plastic may retain less heat then metals. Just curious.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I would love to hear more information on this as well. I think the problem with plastic and processor heat would be the melting point compared to other materials for heat sinks. But I wonder if operated at lower degrees whether or not plastic may retain less heat then metals. Just curious.
A very extensive test was done on another forum regarding the type of materials and heat.

Here's the link and the overall results are in post #4 which shows a short alloy intake being the best overall intake material.
Intake Air Temp Tests III: Street Heat *Results* - LX Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
The "TEST" on LX Forums did not use a Plastic intake in the comparo...they used a stock CAI(which is partially rubber rather than platic), and a carbon fiber, in addition to the short tube aluminum. Results would have been different if a K&N FIPK 63 CAI had been in the comparo.

The plastic CAI's don't act as a heat sink under the hood like the metal ones. That's also why the intake manifolds on the R/T's and now on the new SRT8-392 are composite...
But if you want aluminum...buy aluminum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts