Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone black PlastiDipped or black painted the Hemi hood emblems on a Header Orange Challenger? If so, could I see some pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Wheel

I don't know exactly what you mean. I bought these, and stuck them on.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I mean is: Has anyone PlastiDipped the hood emblems? In other words, sprayed them with plastidip or black paint so that they are solid black instead of having the chrome around the edge of the letters.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have

But I did it in red.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
What I mean is: Has anyone PlastiDipped the hood emblems? In other words, sprayed them with plastidip or black paint so that they are solid black instead of having the chrome around the edge of the letters.
Sorry, I'm new..:shrug03:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice. I'm thinking of doing my in black. Can't decide.
If I don't like it I can just remove it.
Just do it. It takes like 5 mins and if you don't like it only about 30 seconds to reverse it.

Reactions: blkned

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
you dont by chance have a part # for these do you? my dealer told me they dont make or sell the all black ones. He told me I need to get some aftermarket ones.
It is actually a portion of the "392 HEMI" badge, BlackOut Edition. I got it from SteveWhiteParts (supporting vendor). Don't know the part number, but if you call Luke at SWP, I am sure he would know, or would sell you the part.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks good. I think I'm going to do my first Plastidip project. Did you do lots of light coats on the emblem, or just a couple heavy coats?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Recommended is a light dusting as a first coat, followed by 3-4 additional coats (15-20mins in between each for drying). The 1st coat gives the second something to bond to. 4-5 coats of Dip will give you a good, solid layer of rubber to peel off when you want to.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Recommended is a light dusting as a first coat, followed by 3-4 additional coats (15-20mins in between each for drying). The 1st coat gives the second something to bond to. 4-5 coats of Dip will give you a good, solid layer of rubber to peel off when you want to.
Exactly... NFD3L pretty much hit the nail on the main points. I've been working with plastidip for years now... dipped every car part imaginable for either myself or friend's cars... heck I've even dipped entire cars and trucks including my Challenger. I can write a research paper length post on how to dip but you can find tons of info with a bit of research on the dipyourcar forums. Plastidip is so forgiving it's important not to overthink it, especially with small parts like emblems. Dust on your first coat, to where the chrome trim around the HEMI emblem is grey and flat but the layer of dip is still see through. Dry time between coats on an entire vehicles I paid close attention to but for an emblem I would wait maybe 10 mins tops... kind of like regular paint you want each addtl layer to bond to the previous one, in this Texas heat a medium coat of black dip dries FAAAAST! I look for that grey area between almost dry and too dry. For me personally that spot was around 10 mins for such a small item. Dip has a unique quality in that it will partially re-liquify the layer beneath when a good wet coat is applied. This helps out when dipping large pieces and ensuring they will last through a beating but also more importantly peel off easily and in one piece when you want it to, but again for emblems... you can have your light coat and 3 addtl coats on in around 30 mins and check that small project off your list. PM me if anyone has any specific questions!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to you and Challenger5.7 for the info.
I'm on it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
260 Posts
No problem, just saw them a while back and didn't know if everyone knows. I never plasti-dipped anything other plier handles. Post pictures so we can see how they come out plz.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.