Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im wondering if anyone has switched their copper plugs at 30k for platinum ones or if this is a big no no due to the tuning.

Any help or input would be helpful because im looking to do the plugs myself shortly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
No,

Champion Copper plugs only. Either it changed in 2011 or 2012 where the factory started using 100k mile plugs but stick with plain old copper and you won't be dissatisfied. Change'm every 38k miles too.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
hey guys im wondering if anyone has switched their copper plugs at 30k for platinum ones or if this is a big no no due to the tuning.

Any help or input would be helpful because im looking to do the plugs myself shortly.
I was also wondering which replacement plugs to use so I started doing some research on the matter.What I found is that the best performance plugs on the market are those that have a 'Silver' electrode due to the fact that silver is the best electical conductor known to exist on this planet.Copper is the second best followed by Gold in third place.

Although platinum,palladium,nickel and iridium will last longer their performance capabilities are greatly inferior to that of silver,gold or copper.My only concern of swtching to silver is if there will be any perfromance/firing concerns with our 5.7L.6.1L or 6.4L Hemi engines.If there are any such drawbacks that exist I will replace them using the NGK copper electrode plugs that came with vehicle.

The following link explains the advantages of silver electrode plugs:

Nology Silver Spark Plugs for direct fire ignitions

Also found a couple silver electrode plug brands that manufacture a product for the 5.7L and 6.1L engines.

http://www.briskusa.com

http://www.accel-ignition.com

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
I've only hit 20k in my R/TC, but at 30k, I'll put the stock type back in. These are just perfoming fine, and changing at 30k intervals is no big deal to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Factory uses non platinum/iridium plugs in the 5.7 for a reason when they first switched the 5.7 to platinum at the factory they developed a miss switched back to standard plugs thats why you don't have platinum plugs in the 5.7.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I went with the 2314 one step colder and then have been great. Good luck on your choice. Another thing to consider the copper plugs are only good for 30,000 where these are good for 160,000 if memory serves me.

I have had these for awhile now with both running Nitrous and now forced induction without issue!

Good luck on your choice

NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs represent the ultimate evolution of spark plug technology and performance. Iridium is significantly stronger than any metal used in spark plugs today. Its also the hardest metal used, which allowed NGK engineers to design an ultra fine center electrode; reducing the voltage requirement for Spark.

The design of the ultra-fine center electrode is designed not too thin to ensure maximum durability and life of the spark plug, and not too thick for an accurate and consistent spark. Iridium IX delivers the performance and durability to meet the demands and expectations of those who expect nothing but the best.

5.7 HEMI Applications:

•NGK 2313 Iridium Spark Plug (Stock Heat Range for HEMI Rams and Most 5.7L LX car

•NGK 2314 Iridium Spark Plug (One Step colder heat range plug than stock)

•NGK 2315 Iridium Spark Plug (Two steps colder heat range plug than sto

Iridium IX®

The Spark Plug Serious Enthusiasts Rely On

Designed specifically for the performance enthusiast. Iridium IX® offers extreme ignitability, improved throttle response and superior anti fouling.

Fine Iridium tip ensures high durability and a consistently stable spark
Iridium alloy has extremely high melting point, perfect for today’s high-tech, high-performance engines
Trivalent Metal Plating - superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
Outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and durability
Ultimate design, technology and performance

Model: 6619
Manufactured by: NGK

Spark Plug
Part No.
Stock No.
Plug Gap
Photo
V-Power LZTR5A-13

G-Power LZTR5AGP

Laser Platinum PLZTR5A-13 * #

Iridium IX LZTR5AIX-13

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Resistor vs Non-resistor Spark Plugs

Any thoughts on spark plugs with no resistor vs plugs with a resistor?Seems the info I've been reading states that the non-resistor type plugs produce a more intense and consistent spark.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Yea, I switched to Autolite double platinum at 30K miles. I've now got 80K and will be changing plugs again at 100K and every subsequent 100K - This is typically my routine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yea, I switched to Autolite double platinum at 30K miles. I've now got 80K and will be changing plugs again at 100K and every subsequent 100K - This is typically my routine.
I've never hit 100 k miles on any vehicle I have ever owned..... As a matter of fact I have not hit 50k miles.... I trade them in before that....

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Irridium worked fine in my C5 Vette, but at todays prices would seem to be a waste of my hard earned cash.The second plug in each cylinder is for emission purposes and extends the life of the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
my take is that the silver plug is a gimmick. who cares that silver conducts more. the dang spark jumps a gap that is OPEN. so there is a huge initial resistance prior to the plug firing. Plus there is the resustance of the plug itself.

Platinum is just for longevity.

Sparks jump best from an edge so the iridium with a fine point should make a nice starting point for a spark to start from.

Copper plugs seem to work fine but they will wear faster.

I'll stick with the copper since I dont have misfire issues and Im not afraid to change my plugs every 30,000 miles as it give me a chance to see how they are firing and I can make adjustments if needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Spark Plugs

I have a 2012 R/T PLUS, and sent Dodge an "E" mail on this subject and asked why the the six and the 392 plugs are good to 100,000 and the 5.7 is only good to 30,000 they gave me a long line, but said don't change them to the higher grade....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Remember it's the amount of surface area (larger tip area) and conductive copper that works the best in our R/Ts. Changing that material configuration to something else with very small surfaces causes misfire issues... just my 2 cents.

I wonder if we have lower voltage coils/more tdc timing (faster burning/lower octane rating), or different head configurations that requires the use of larger surface area plugs...

·
Registered
192 Posts
subscribed. Gonna hit 38k next month!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
20,000 and still runs like a scalded cat. At 30,000 she'll be gettin what she came with new. Besides I like touching her naughty bits! :browsmiley:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts