Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I tell you what, let’s do it...I’ll run whatever 5w-20 oil you want for one 5K mike OCI (as long as its SN rated) if you’ll have two drinks of scotch and water. Thats it, just two.

And it’s not some cheap twist-off cap scotch either. This is single malt from the Highlands and aged 12 & 15 years.

image.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
trippytro, I had 2012 RAM 1500. 5.7, 5 speed auto, MDS system. The firestation is 2 blocks/3 houses from my house. Why do I say this you ask? At 10K miles I put in Mobil1 5W30 just because I wanted to see if engine would be quietier, it was. Every time, and I mean every time I left for work, it didn't matter if it was 0° or 90° the trans would already be in 4th gear and the MDS would kick in every time. Didn't matter 5W20 or 5W30. You have no warranty to worry about I would assume..........Try some 5W30. I agree with Nuke, it won't hurt nuthin'..........it didn't in my 5.7.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
trippytro, I had 2012 RAM 1500. 5.7, 5 speed auto, MDS system. The firestation is 2 blocks/3 houses from my house. Why do I say this you ask? At 10K miles I put in Mobil1 5W30 just because I wanted to see if engine would be quietier, it was. Every time, and I mean every time I left for work, it didn't matter if it was 0° or 90° the trans would already be in 4th gear and the MDS would kick in every time. Didn't matter 5W20 or 5W30. You have no warranty to worry about I would assume..........Try some 5W30. I agree with Nuke, it won't hurt nuthin'..........it didn't in my 5.7.
Putting in fresh oil always quiets an engine. It is not the quietness at 0 miles that is the problem -- fresh oil ensures the engine is quiet -- but the noise as the oil accumulates miles. Short trips are really going to load the oil with contamination, water for one. This is going to have the engine very noisy by the time it comes time to change the oil.

And if you ran the oil to 10K miles the drop in noise after an oil change was certainly dramatic. But par for the fresh oil not a specific oil.

I thought MDS would not be activated until the engine/oil was up to some minimum temperature?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,646 Posts
I thought MDS would not be activated until the engine/oil was up to some minimum temperature?
On my JGC MDS kicks way before it ETC or EOT his operating temps. From the tables that are available in HP tuners...MDS activation can be controlled by RPM and vehicle speed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Putting in fresh oil always quiets an engine. It is not the quietness at 0 miles that is the problem -- fresh oil ensures the engine is quiet -- but the noise as the oil accumulates miles. Short trips are really going to load the oil with contamination, water for one. This is going to have the engine very noisy by the time it comes time to change the oil.

And if you ran the oil to 10K miles the drop in noise after an oil change was certainly dramatic. But par for the fresh oil not a specific oil.

No, I had 10K on the truck at the time I put in the 5W30. Had run 5W20 up to that point.
Like I said....It didn't matter 0° OR 90°, 5W20 or 5W30, the MDS kicked in every time approx 2 blocks + from my driveway.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
On my JGC MDS kicks way before it ETC or EOT his operating temps. From the tables that are available in HP tuners...MDS activation can be controlled by RPM and vehicle speed.
I searched and found some more details on MDS but nothing about the coolant or oil temperature needing to be up to some minimum threshold before MDS could be activated.

Now that I think back it makes sense (?) I guess. With my Boxster engine the VarioCam system -- variable intake valve timing was active even though the engine was cold. And with my Turbo the same plus the low lift feature was also active at cold start.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,646 Posts
I searched and found some more details on MDS but nothing about the coolant or oil temperature needing to be up to some minimum threshold before MDS could be activated.

Now that I think back it makes sense (?) I guess. With my Boxster engine the VarioCam system -- variable intake valve timing was active even though the engine was cold. And with my Turbo the same plus the low lift feature was also active at cold start.
Yeah even the FCA workbooks or service manuals make no mention of ECT or EOT just that the oil wieght must be correct for proper operation. But I can log when MDS kicks...in my case with the JGC it literally kicks on a few blocks from my house when speed limit is 45mph.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Yeah even the FCA workbooks or service manuals make no mention of ECT or EOT just that the oil wieght must be correct for proper operation. But I can log when MDS kicks...in my case with the JGC it literally kicks on a few blocks from my house when speed limit is 45mph.
And what, pray tell, does the literature say is the “correct” oil weight for proper MDS operation?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,646 Posts
And what, pray tell, does the literature say is the “correct” oil weight for proper MDS operation?
Well, if you get a the following DTCs:

P1521-INCORRECT ENGINE OIL TYPE
P0016-Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment
(ETC...)

It could be due to incorrect oil viscosity. One of the fixes is to use the OEM recommended oil viscosity (shown on engine oil filler tube cap). Or check the 7I0 cap.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
289 Posts
me thinks those SMALL roller bearings could fail without proper oil or lack of oil changes

sticking with moly for now, thank GOD I have a 6.4 6 m car !!!

BUT love the truck, hate the MDS system in it.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Well, if you get a the following DTCs:

P1521-INCORRECT ENGINE OIL TYPE
P0016-Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment
(ETC...)

It could be due to incorrect oil viscosity. One of the fixes is to use the OEM recommended oil viscosity (shown on engine oil filler tube cap). Or check the 7I0 cap.
I see...so if the specified viscosity is used, exclusively, and the recommended service interval is followed for oil changes, why do critical components (e.g. cam & lifters) within the engine still fail at an alarming rate?

Does that have anything to do with oil viscosity?

And what about engines without MDS, is it not “criticalto use the specified viscosity in those?

If not, why is the same viscosity that is spec’d for MDS also spec’d for non-MDS?

What about Hemi engines that are not built by Dodge but consist of all Dodge parts? For example, a 5.7L with 6.4L guts; Which spec’d viscosity is “critical” to use in that application?

And last but not least, does meeting CAFE numbers for MPGs dictate which viscosity is specified for any of the Hemi engines?

If so, doesn’t it seem disingenuous to state it is critical to follow viscosity specs when it’s really only important if the declared MPGs for the car are to be considered?

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
289 Posts
U have a valid point, my 6.4 non and 5.7 MDS should be same parts.
one 0w-40 one 5w-20, makes no sense except MPG CAFE bs.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Thats a perfect example you have there. You could run the 0w-40 oil in the 5.7L and not have nary a problem, maybe even come out better if you lived in extreme cold climate that required the 0w’s cold pour point.

Yet, if some warranty claim regarding internal engine operation were submitted on the 5.7L, it is possible the claim could be denied on the grounds you didn’t use the “correct” oil.

Going by the letter of the law, you wouldn’t be running the right oil, and yet the oil you were running would outperform the spec’d oil in almost all categories (except fuel efficiency) and NOT cause any problems for the engine operation. So what sense does it make to declare 0w-40 the wrong oil for a 5.7L?

(Hint: C_A_F_E)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,646 Posts
me thinks those SMALL roller bearings could fail without proper oil or lack of oil changes

sticking with moly for now, thank GOD I have a 6.4 6 m car !!!

BUT love the truck, hate the MDS system in it.
I see...so if the specified viscosity is used, exclusively, and the recommended service interval is followed for oil changes, why do critical components (e.g. cam & lifters) within the engine still fail at an alarming rate?

Does that have anything to do with oil viscosity?

And what about engines without MDS, is it not “criticalto use the specified viscosity in those?

If not, why is the same viscosity that is spec’d for MDS also spec’d for non-MDS?

What about Hemi engines that are not built by Dodge but consist of all Dodge parts? For example, a 5.7L with 6.4L guts; Which spec’d viscosity is “critical” to use in that application?

And last but not least, does meeting CAFE numbers for MPGs dictate which viscosity is specified for any of the Hemi engines?

If so, doesn’t it seem disingenuous to state it is critical to follow viscosity specs when it’s really only important if the declared MPGs for the car are to be considered?
LoL...just showing what the books say...not saying you need to follow them but for folks that live for warranties they might want to follow FCA recommendations.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,646 Posts
6.4 non-MDS and 5.7 MDS do not have the same parts...different lifters, oil pump, MDS solenoids, different PCM OS/tune.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
LoL...just showing what the books say...not saying you need to follow them but for folks that live for warranties they might want to follow FCA recommendations.
Absolutely, if under warranty, do what they say for oil.

Outside of warranty, experiment if you like...you can’t do any worse than what is spec’d for the 5.7L engine, that’s for sure.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
289 Posts
has a prior auto tech in Montana, people lie there azzs off, I always change my oil, wrong.

I always buy FRESH clean gas, WRONG !! LOL Every filter was full of crap and God knows what.

Was so sick of working on F150 3v engine due to lack of oil changes, they ticked and sounded like a diesel !!!

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
6.4 non-MDS and 5.7 MDS do not have the same parts...different lifters, oil pump, MDS solenoids, different PCM OS/tune.
And if I run the 6.4L non-MDS parts in my 5.7L (previously with) MDS? What oil viscosity is critical to run then?

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
289 Posts
Still call BS, there is no way they make a lifter for different oil weights,
Oil weight is for CAFE reasons only

41 - 60 of 88 Posts