Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,541 Posts
Yes, but one would think FCA would make that distinction in their TSB then. Something like, “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System [and a 5.7L Hemi] must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.”
Then it would be gospel...A reading from the Nuke Testament...Hemi...verse 5:7 ("And FCA said treat thy hemi with 5W20 for art thou cursed with MDS").

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Then it would be gospel...A reading from the Nuke Testament...Hemi...verse 5:7 ("And FCA said treat thy hemi with 5W20 for art thou cursed with MDS").
You create that new post, and I just read this new one on BITOG: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5247895/chevron-supreme-5w20-bay-area-trade-sell

Prophecy fulfilled?
Divine Intervention?

Whatever it is, it’s at least proof that the Lord does indeed work in mysterious ways...or possibly an example of coincidences in action...🤔

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,541 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,541 Posts
I searched and found some more details on MDS but nothing about the coolant or oil temperature needing to be up to some minimum threshold before MDS could be activated.

Now that I think back it makes sense (?) I guess. With my Boxster engine the VarioCam system -- variable intake valve timing was active even though the engine was cold. And with my Turbo the same plus the low lift feature was also active at cold start.
Hmm so there is an MDS cutoff limit that is temperature/rpm based.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Hello, my name is Nuke of the North. I love in Gnome, Alaska, and I drive a 5.7L powered Challenger. I love my car, its 2 doors really turns me on. In fact, in the winter time when it gets down to -40F , I tend to sleep in/with my car.

In any event, I don’t want to void my warranty, but the recommended 5w-20 turns to sludge at -40F. What’s a Dodge-loving northerner supposed to do in my situation??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, my name is Nuke of the North. I love in Gnome, Alaska, and I drive a 5.7L powered Challenger. I love my car, its 2 doors really turns me on. In fact, in the winter time when it gets down to -40F , I tend to sleep in/with my car.

In any event, I don’t want to void my warranty, but the recommended 5w-20 turns to sludge at -40F. What’s a Dodge-loving northerner supposed to do in my situation??
Pennzoil has 0W20 Ultra Platinum. That should be safe as it is 20 weight when warm, and will flow at very cold temperatures. Its pour point is -54.4F. It meets Chrysler MS 6395. The 20 weight is critical for the MDS.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Pennzoil has 0W20 Ultra Platinum. That should be safe as it is 20 weight when warm, and will flow at very cold temperatures. Its pour point is -54.4F. It meets Chrysler MS 6395. The 20 weight is critical for the MDS.
@ChallyTatum dislikes your use of facts to answer my post. In his immortal words, “Facts?!? You can use facts to prove things that are even remotely true!”

81 - 88 of 88 Posts