Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,

I have a 2013 Rallye Redline and my factory radio started doing this weird thing where it would drop audio every few seconds. Couldnt make calls (because its maddening etc..). I was going to have it replaced with another factory radio which is identical, but got talked into doing an after market JVC .I didn't realize that I would lose my rear speakers, voice command (uconnect) etc.. I'm looking for a factory replacement and am also wondering if it could be re installed as there was something cut out (from behind the radio in the dash) to make room for the JVC. Do I need to buy an original wiring harness? Original Sirus XM tuner? I know its not the best radio , but I actually miss the cool little lcd display and more importantly, the rear speakers and the ability to control everything from the steering wheel. Plus, I'd like everything stock in case I go to seel it. If any of you could please help that would be great!!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,680 Posts
Lots to unpack here...let’s start with the basics:
1) what audio package did the car come stock with?

If you are unsure, obtain the car’s build sheet and look through the listings for an entry related to the audio system. Words like Basic Audio, Sound Group II, etc.

2) The JVC can probably be made to work, but restoring lost functionality will require purchasing and installing several wiring harness adapters.

Any damage done to the existing wiring harness from the JVC install will also need to be repaired. What all you will need to buy depends upon the answer to the first question above.

3) Going back to the original setup by buying and installing another factory head-unit is possible, but it’s not as straightforward as you probably hoped.

There are different types of head-units for the Dodge vehicles that look the same but operate differently behind the scenes. It has to do with the speed of the CANBUS connection the device operates on (high versus low).

You will need to research the kind your car requires and make sure to get one of those or risk spending a lot of money on a piece of equipment you cannot use. Actually, you will likely spend a lot of money no matter which kind you buy, but only one kind will operate with your car’s setup.)

Also, any damage done during the JVC install will need to be repaired before installing the new/used factory replacement.

4) what is the model number of the JVC head-unit?

If you decide to try to make it work, this will be useful for anyone trying to help identify the equipment necessary to facilitate a successful (re)install.

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,562 Posts
Check the Vehicles VIn for Recalls and follow up with Local Dealer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts