Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’ll try to explain the situation best I can.
I just put on a LEDGlow kit under my 2012 challenger srt8.
I wired the kit to the battery terminals under the hood (next to the fuse box)
The lights work, but then when I started the car, ALL and I literally mean ALL the warning lights were on, along with a “service active suspension system” message. The shifter is stuck in park, but when I shift into drive as soon as I start the car, it will drive but won’t shift out of first gear. Also, the fuel gauge is on E along with the low fuel light but my tank is full. The speedometer is stuck on 0 when driving, also the speed on the nav and dash stays at 0 while driving.
I scanned the codes, and this is what I have:

U0121, U0429, P1456, P2068, P0463, P0571, U1120, U1110

The car had absolutely no issues prior to this, so I’m positive that this is directly related to the led kit install. Please help me!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,643 Posts
First off, I’m not an auto electric expert. If it were my car, I would disconnect the battery at the terminals. Then I would disconnect the new wiring. I would then reconnect the battery and pray that it clears up your electric system. Then I would seek the assistance of an auto electric professional. Good luck and my fingers are crossed for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree w/fyrdude. Break down the problem. Since you have added "electronic devices" and the problem occurred immediately after, take everything back to stock and reset. (Battery disconnect) Report back what you find.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
These cars FREAK OUT if even the battery goes low. All the lights and warnings. It didn't like something you did with the wiring. Looking forward to a good report.

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Did you have the LED's on while you started the car?

I'm just trying to get back to the basics here...If the answer is no, you didn't have the LED's on while starting, I have no guess here.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I have leds under body and engine bay lights. Both run on separate switches.
My power source with and in line fuse , went right to the battery terminal next to the fuse box .
And if look down under the box that is where I grounded to .
I have no problem . No matter if lights are on and start my car or not on .
I would check your ground wire and make sure you did not nick another wires
when you were installing . Like the others stated check the battery

Hope this helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Zoiks! Stab in the dark here, but with the car switched off pull fuse F2 for 30 seconds and then reseat it. That will reset your electronics to factory settings and is a good place to start. Then see if you can limp in to the dealer and check to see if the electronics module has been snuffed and needs flashed. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
The photo of the switch is just for my engine bay lights
The one hard to see is my ground

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disconnect the battery, wait a minute or two, and reconnect the battery. If that doesn’t help, disconnect the chassis ground pictured, separate the two cables, wait a minute or two and reconnect. Ensure that your ground cable is on top of the classic cable, the pertinent load goes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I finally took it to a mechanic after many failed attempts to “reset” the car ? the lights were infact the problem, but not what you’re thinking... the #^{%^ screws that hold the brackets went through the wiring harness.

The mechanic seems super shady though, does it seem right for something like this to cost up to a $1000? He’s saying they had to take out all the seats and carpeting and all that and replace everything...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/Plus
7 Posts
I may have the same issue. Where did you mount your clamps? I have them right at the seam, where there is seal tape on the sides.
I have opposite signals not working, as well as horn (which the horn doesn't make since if it is the harness running under the car)
Thoughts?
I'm at work now, but after reading this thread, I will disconnect battery and pray it resets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may have the same issue. Where did you mount your clamps? I have them right at the seam, where there is seal tape on the sides.
I have opposite signals not working, as well as horn (which the horn doesn't make since if it is the harness running under the car)
Thoughts?
I'm at work now, but after reading this thread, I will disconnect battery and pray it resets.

Yeah I had the clamps mounted right at the seal... the wiring harness is right there on the passenger side, so 2 of my screws went through the harness chewing up 11 wires. Thankfully the wires could be replaced individually and not the entire harness... I’ve gotten it fixed since, and am now finally enjoying my lights.

Pics attached. Also a pic of the lights, I had to take the front light bar off for now because I just ordered my new wind-splitter with rods ? so I’ll show you guys after I put it on

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wiring issues can get extremely expensive quickly. You've just learned this lesson the hard way.

The wiring harness goes through the interior of the car so having to pull the seats, carpeting and anything else in the path of the wires is what has to happen if you've done damage that cannot be repaired properly any other way. I'd be more concerned if the repair shop just threw wire clamps and electrical tape at the problem. Eventually the gremlins would return in unpredictable ways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wiring issues can get extremely expensive quickly. You've just learned this lesson the hard way.

The wiring harness goes through the interior of the car so having to pull the seats, carpeting and anything else in the path of the wires is what has to happen if you've done damage that cannot be repaired properly any other way. I'd be more concerned if the repair shop just threw wire clamps and electrical tape at the problem. Eventually the gremlins would return in unpredictable ways.

Definitely a lesson learned. The repair cost me $826, and the mechanic actually turned out to be a decent guy. He saved the wires he pulled out, gave them to me when I picked up the car. Also took pics of every step of the process and emailed them to me with my receipt. I was impressed, didn’t expect all of that.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/Plus
7 Posts
Thank you for the pic's. Seeing the harness location I am almost certain I have the same issue. I drilled 6 pilots parallel in the same location....odds are not in my favor :(
I am still boggled about the horn. surely the horn isn't wired in that harness. All the horn replay is connected in the front. Who know's.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/Plus
7 Posts
Just an update, I took out both seats to see the damage I caused, and sure enough I hit the harness on both sides. I made the repair myself, but caused more damage then just splitting wires. I took out the BCM when I bridged the hot wire from my drill. Good news is, the dealer covered it under warranty; even after I told them what I did. Kudos to the service team.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts