Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Scat Pack
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving a 2016 Scat Pack with CAI, catback exhaust, and 85mm ported throttle body. Haven't gotten the money up yet to get an unlocked pcm and tune. I have tried several runs at the drag strip and can not get a good 60 foot time. Running 305/45/18 Nitto NT05R's on the back. Tried everything from 17psi up to 23psi. Best seemed to be around 18 to 19psi. Have tried mild burn outs, really good long burn outs, everything in between and either I get into it easy or I spin off the line and either way I can't get this car to get below a 2.1 60 foot time. It is so disappointing. Got a 2.16 with street tires. An average of my last 9 runs came to:

2.14 60ft
5.662 330ft
8.53 8th ET
86.22 8th mph
12.97 1/4 ET
111.46 1/4 mph

If I try more than barely rolling onto the gas I spin pretty good coming off the line. I have been turning traction control completely off (holding down button for several seconds). Car pulls like a freight train once I get her rolling. Keeping time with cars running mid to low 12's or even pulling on them. I have been running the rpm up to about 2,000 on my launch. Is that just too much for these tires on these cars?

I'm new to driving on the track, but have watched drag racing my whole life and have wanted to get into it for ever. I turn 45 next week and will be going back to the track the day after. Please help! If I could get this down on my birthday week, it would mean the world to me!

·
Registered
165 Posts
2000 is a bit much for an 8 speed...try even like 1500 RPM, roll into it slow, then STOMP once you know you won't spin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try that. The 60 foot is just pathetic. I ran almost as fast on stock tires trying to launch at around 1200, so I figured with drag radials I could hit it harder, but this thing will still spin the hell out of them.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,620 Posts
I'd suggest getting rid of the Nitto's and getting a good drag radial. I like the M&H 275/50/17's or the M/T 305/45/17's.. You can get rims for either of these set ups relatively cheap (use Cobra R rims for a bit over $100 new shipped each or find a used set for even less) with the M&H's and it makes for a good combo. I'm currently running a set of race star rims with the M/T 305/45/17's and that works well too. But with either combo I'd think your 60' times will drop to the 1.7 range with an 8 speed. I've had two friends go with the Nittos and neither had much success with them, in both cases they eventually went to the M&H set up with the cobra replica rims. With either of the above set ups I usually run about 18lbs of pressure.

The only thing to note if you do go with a set of the Cobra replica rims you need to open the hub area a bit. I just used a sanding wheel and cleaned up the hub area a bit, then made a few test fits until I got it right. When I changed rims to the drag stars I sold my set of Cobra replica rims to a friend with a twin turbo 392 and he's now running low 10's with them, so that's a pretty good testament to the combo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't have the money to get rid of the Nitto's I just bought, but I should be able to get better launches than the 245 sized Nexens that came on the car when I got it even if the Nittos aren't that great.

Watched a guy with a supercharged cadillac run 11.2 with thr same Nittos

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,620 Posts
Don't have the money to get rid of the Nitto's I just bought, but I should be able to get better launches than the 245 sized Nexens that came on the car when I got it even if the Nittos aren't that great.
I understand the money thing completely, so if you haven't tried it I would leave the traction control on for your next series of runs. Before I got drag radials my best runs (I had an R/T at the time though not an SRT) was to leave the traction control on and launch at basically idle, then roll into the throttle, moderating the gas pedal if I felt traction giving. It takes some passes but eventually you should get a feel for how hard you can get on the throttle without the tires breaking loose.

That said I looked your tires up on Summit and they state the following:
Nitto NT05R tires are DOT-compliant competition drag radials designed for serious drag race enthusiasts. They feature dual-purpose sidewall construction and an all-new specialized race compound to enhance traction during launch and deliver stability on the top end of the race track. This results in improved consistency and controllability from the tires.

So if these are serious drag radials than they certainly should hook up at the power levels that we are talking. I've used three or four brands of drag radials over the years and basically what I did worked for all of them. That is air the tires down to 18-20 psi, traction control off, heat them up (this varied a bit by brand as to how much works best) generally when I start to see the some smoke coming around the car I roll out of my burnout. Then I would think you should be able to foot brake to about 1,800 rpms for the launch. Perhaps the tires need to break in a bit, but usually with most tires after a good burn out or two to take off any initial glaze they are good to go.

As I said before I'd suggest trying some runs with the traction control on, rolling into the throttle if that seems to work get more aggressive as you go to see what works best. How much traction compound the track puts down can also affect things but if others making more power are hooking up that's probably not a factor. Good luck next time out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the money thing completely, so if you haven't tried it I would leave the traction control on for your next series of runs. Before I got drag radials my best runs (I had an R/T at the time though not an SRT) was to leave the traction control on and launch at basically idle, then roll into the throttle, moderating the gas pedal if I felt traction giving. It takes some passes but eventually you should get a feel for how hard you can get on the throttle without the tires breaking loose.

That said I looked your tires up on Summit and they state the following:
Nitto NT05R tires are DOT-compliant competition drag radials designed for serious drag race enthusiasts. They feature dual-purpose sidewall construction and an all-new specialized race compound to enhance traction during launch and deliver stability on the top end of the race track. This results in improved consistency and controllability from the tires.

So if these are serious drag radials than they certainly should hook up at the power levels that we are talking. I've used three or four brands of drag radials over the years and basically what I did worked for all of them. That is air the tires down to 18-20 psi, traction control off, heat them up (this varied a bit by brand as to how much works best) generally when I start to see the some smoke coming around the car I roll out of my burnout. Then I would think you should be able to foot brake to about 1,800 rpms for the launch. Perhaps the tires need to break in a bit, but usually with most tires after a good burn out or two to take off any initial glaze they are good to go.

As I said before I'd suggest trying some runs with the traction control on, rolling into the throttle if that seems to work get more aggressive as you go to see what works best. How much traction compound the track puts down can also affect things but if others making more power are hooking up that's probably not a factor. Good luck next time out.
Thanks. The tracks does some prep, but not that great. My best passes where with the tires at about 18psi so I think that is probably the place to jeep it while I figure everything else out. I'll try me next runs with traction control on and just get a feel for how that does. I wish I could find a spot close to the house just to practice launching and 0 to 60 without having to wait for the track to be open and jockeying for spot in the staging lanes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ran my Nitto's at 20lbs. OK traction but needed long burnouts to get sticky. I switched to the MT's and they rarely lose traction. If you go too low on PSI, the tires will cup and you will lose traction. I load to 2000-2500 rpm depending on what the track will hold and average 1.7's with a stock 392 A8 TA.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
560 Posts
The nittos sacrifice some track performance for a little more streetability compared to M/T and M&H. Good if you drive to the strip on your drag setup. But from what I've seen other cars do your 60ft should be way lower than that, did the tires get hard? What's the birthday?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would it be a bad idea after these Nitto's wear out to maybe go with a full slick tire? I have different rims for the drag radials already. Thought about slicks to begone with but was worried they might hook hard enough to cause breakage in my diff or drive shaft. Looking st Hoosier 28x10x18 since my rims are 18's.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
560 Posts
Would it be a bad idea after these Nitto's wear out to maybe go with a full slick tire? I have different rims for the drag radials already. Thought about slicks to begone with but was worried they might hook hard enough to cause breakage in my diff or drive shaft. Looking st Hoosier 28x10x18 since my rims are 18's.
You're car is pretty much stock power so I think you'll be ok on a slick but don't take my word for it. You can also try something like the M/T Street SS. It's comparable to the NT05r but a little better on the strip and sacrifices a little streetability.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
560 Posts
Would the M/T Street SS be a better choice than the Street R?
Do you drive to the track on radials? Street R's will perform better on the track but the SS will be better if you have to do a little bit of street driving too

Reactions: shak3r

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
208 Posts
I've only used Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S drag radials and love them. How far is your nearest drag strip? I recommend them over the Street R if its a good ways (30+ miles), assuming you don't trailer.

This past Fri night (at Texas Motorplex) my best 60' was 1.76 for comparison. My tires are 20" though, so 18" should do better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The track I go to is only 8 miles from my house. I've been filling them up to 25psi to drive there, lowering them to 18-19psi, then airing them back up before I leave.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
208 Posts
Wow, that's close. You'd be fine w/ the Street R. I typically run mine around 22psi as the rear tends to feel loose on the top end if I drop it much more. Both tracks around me have great prep so that helps too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess I'll do my best trying to get a good launch while I burn through these Nitto's then get better tires. I've got about 15 passes on them so they should be plenty broken in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I dropped the tire pressure to 16psi, unhooked the front sway bar, and ran her down to less than a quarter of a tank. Launched at 1200 rpm instead of 2000. Ran a 12.56 at 113mph with a 1.9 60foot. Cut my 60 by 2 tenths and quarter by 3 tenths!

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
560 Posts
Well, I dropped the tire pressure to 16psi, unhooked the front sway bar, and ran her down to less than a quarter of a tank. Launched at 1200 rpm instead of 2000. Ran a 12.56 at 113mph with a 1.9 60foot. Cut my 60 by 2 tenths and quarter by 3 tenths!
How was it hooking? Think it could've launched a little harder like 1500 maybe? Nice job tho

1 - 20 of 26 Posts