Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and it's a bit of a long one so please bear with me, but I've lurked here for a while now while trying to decide what challenger to buy and I really need the help of the experts and enthusiasts here. I've already decided I'm ending up with a v8 challenger either way because I just think it's a beautiful car, but I have some concerns. I don't plan on racing it on a track or any professional driving or anything, but I want to have some fun with my car (don't we all!) that I can also use for my daily driver.

Here are the cars I have available to me for purchase:
- A 2009 SRT8 (automatic) with 33k miles from a 3rd party seller in what appears to be beautiful condition listed at $29k. I haven't test driven it yet so I don't know if there are any internal problems, but the exterior is very well kept and it appears to have some decent options. I'm also convinced I can negotiate the price down a little bit since it's been up for sale for about a month now.
- A 2012-2013 R/T (automatic) that I can purchase from an authorized dealer at around $25-$26k average listing price and with around 10-15k miles. No additional warranty beyond the manufacturer's warranty.

I have a max budget of about $26-$27k (before tax) but I'm willing to splurge a little more if the difference between the cars is noticeable. The car will be entirely financed by the bank, so every little bit of cost counts for me.

Here are my concerns:
1) This car will be my daily driver and my budget is tight. I also won't able to afford excessive maintenance costs. As far as gas, my daily commute is 8 miles each way which won't be too bad, but I want to be able to afford the occasional cruise and take-off.
2) I live in an area that gets snow during the winter. Average snowfall isn't too deep at a given time and at worst it doesn't usually exceed 1 ft, but we get many days of light flurries or slush and days of 1-3in snowfalls. The roads are very well plowed and salted often.

So now that I laid out my scenario, here are my questions:
1) Is it practical to be driving around an SRT8 on a tight budget? I don't plan on beating on it too hard, but I want to have some fun with it occasionally. Any ideas on what general maintenance costs are?
2) Is 33k miles a lot for a used 3rd party sale SRT8? There's only 1 owner, but I just don't know how to judge the mileage for this car and whether or not this is a concern.
3) Is there anything I should specifically look for that could go wrong at this mileage for an SRT8?
4) Is the older 2009 SRT8 close to the same as the 2012-2013 R/Ts in terms of acceleration, speed, and performance? Any notable performance differences?
5) If there is a noticeable difference in performance, is the extra value of the RT worth that reduction?
6) Is either one better or worse in the snow? I know I'll need snow tires either way, but I want to be careful.

I honestly prefer the SRT8 if the costs won't drive me to bankruptcy, but if I can get the RT for a few thousand dollars cheaper and with much less of a maintenance/gas cost, I would go for it if the car can perform well and won't get blown away in the dust in comparison.

Any help, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated. Or even any comparisons between the two, sales pitches for either side, and some input would be very welcomed. I've done so much research that my head is spinning and I feel like at this point, I just need to hear some experiences and personal opinions to help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

EDIT: I forgot to include that they are both automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmmm, the SRT sounds like maybe it wasn't someone's daily driver, which could be a positive. But the newer R/T is...newer, and it's low mileage too.

I don't know enough about the differences between each model year.

Is the dealer offering any sort of warranty on the R/T?

Are they both automatic? Manual?

Full disclosure: I haven't owned either one. They're both nice, I suspect you'll be happy with whichever you choose. I can't imagine either one is great in snow, but maybe someone who knows more about it can help.

This may be heresy, but have you considered riding a bike to work in the nicer months? Could that work for you? It's what I do, even though I have a daily driver econobox. Saves gas, keeps you in shape, and keeps the car(s) at home. Maybe that could help offset the cost of the SRT? Sometimes short daily trips aren't great for the car, either, the oil doesn't warm up fully and condensation doesn't evaporate (so I have been told).

Well, reading what I just wrote, I don't think it's much help at all. I do wish you the best; hopefully that counts for something.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Well the SRT takes premium fuel and I think the rt takes regular fuel as for the mpg I'm not sure on the diferents but I avg 15 and I beat the hell out of t every single time I'm in it that's why got it for I did drive in the snow once my car handled real good if it were me srt8 baby just for the bragging rights alone and I got my car for 28k with 26 k miles hope that helps ya bro and what ever car you get all eyes will be on you were ever you go

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,891 Posts
I have now owned 4 Challengers, one R/T and three SRTs. For you I would absolutely get the R/T, it will save you on premium gas and TIRES!!! The SRT has the Goodyear F1s as stock and they last about 11,000 to 15,000 tops! They are not cheap to replace either. Gas mileage is better too on the 5.7 vs the 6.1. The oil Changes on the SRT are well over $120 on a regular day due to the use of synthetic oil. I think the R/T is a perfect daily driver and you will have plenty of fun in that car.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
I just traded my R/T for a SRT. Love both cars but there is certainly a different feel in the SRT. Faster and a better platform if mods are in your future. The little extras on the SRT will keep you smiling. At 8 miles to work, the mileage and premium fuel is not going to be much of an issue. If your road trips are via major highways, again, I don't think it's a big deal. IF it's back roads the SRT is going to cost you more. Maintenance on either car is not that much. Tires and oil will be more on the SRT.
I agree that the R/T is the more practical daily driver but there is a significant performance difference. Either is great fun!
I would not worry about the miles on the SRT if it appears to be well maintained.
Very best of luck, whichever you decide.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Hello
For just a few thousand more you can drive a NEW nicely equipped R/T

I checked a local dealer web site and saw a black top and a 100th anniversary challenger, both under 30k

Keep shopping

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I would get a newer R/T over a 6.1 SRT, nothing wrong with the legendary 6.1 but it has been discussed here many times that the improvements on 2011+ models are really a decision changer when comparing these two. You also get the major advantage of having a newer car which is under warranty (Even if the 6.1 still has an existing warranty, it will most likely run out soon). Yes, many members had to make this choice. Now, if you were choosing between a 2011+ R/T or a 2011+ SRT. I'd definitely go with the SRT.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Also, try getting a new R/T. It seems that many good deals are available on them right now. Dealers want to get rid of them before the '15's hit their lots.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
R/T hands down for a daily driver. Cheaper to maintain and much better fuel economy.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Which color do you prefer? I've always said that color is the most important option........you see it all the time!

That said, love my '10 R/TC A5, but would consider an older SRT 6.1 if I were in the market, and the color/options/price was right.

As others have stated, consider what type of warranty you are/aren't getting. If you're on a tight budget, you don't need any extra expenses for repairs.

These cars are pretty darn reliable, but the $$$$ can add up quickly for various repairs.

Best of luck to you

·
Registered
314 Posts
Between those 2 choices, I'd go for the newer RT. As someone else mentioned, I think you can find a new RT plus for 28'ish. 2011's forward have a lot of nice refinements. Plus the 5.7 is a great engine for the daily grind. If you get a manual RT, you still may end up buying premium fuel though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have you driven either one yet? With no plans to make any mods to either one of them, it will come down to personal preference. There is a difference between them though (at least I thought so when I test drove my current car vs. a newer R/T) and once you get behind the wheel, you will know which is one is right for "you".

I drive my Procharged '10 SRT every day to/from work (60mi round trip) and it doesn't break the bank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, so far this has all been really helpful. I am getting the feeling like the R/T is the more practical choice which is what I feel like I should do. I just don't want to regret not spending the extra few thousand for a car that is signficantly more fun. I've only tested the R/T so I don't really know the difference between the two and whether the SRT8 is excessive for my daily needs which is commuting in style and the occasional cruise / red-light-blast-off.

For anyone who has driven both, is the older SRT8 noticeably more fun and faster than the newer R/Ts? I remember reading somewhere that the engines were somewhat similar in terms of power but I have no frame of reference.

As for the options, I don't care about too many. The leather and moonroof are nice, but not dealbreakers and the rest I feel relatively indifferent toward.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Awesome, so far this has all been really helpful. I am getting the feeling like the R/T is the more practical choice which is what I feel like I should do. I just don't want to regret not spending the extra few thousand for a car that is signficantly more fun. I've only tested the R/T so I don't really know the difference between the two and whether the SRT8 is excessive for my daily needs which is commuting in style and the occasional cruise / red-light-blast-off.

For anyone who has driven both, is the older SRT8 noticeably more fun and faster than the newer R/Ts? I remember reading somewhere that the engines were somewhat similar in terms of power but I have no frame of reference.

As for the options, I don't care about too many. The leather and moonroof are nice, but not dealbreakers and the rest I feel relatively indifferent toward.
Now I'm still just a know nothing newbie, but lurking on here long enough, people say the power low end power between the 2 is similar, however it's the top end where the 6.1 really starts to shine.

I don't know what to tell you about daily driving. I had a 3.5 se challenger, test drove a 2008 6.1,and knew I had to have a hemi, I was intending on getting a older srt or maybe swing for a new rt when I got a sweet deal on a 2011 392 srt. It's my daily driver and other than paying an extra $20 a fill up, it's great. I'd say don't make the mistake I did, and test drive EVERYTHING. Work your budget and get it right the first time :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,891 Posts
Go test drive an R/T a 6.1 and the 392. That is only way to know for sure which will fit you the best. That way you can't say what if??

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ok first off, keep shopping, you can find a MUCH better deal on 6.1, I only paid $32,000 for mine 2 years ago from a dealer with right at 7,000 miles on the odometer, loaded with every option except passenger side power seat. Mine was from the original dealership, salesman knew the original owner, car was a garage kept weekend cruiser originally owned by a retired state trooper.

When I was shopping for mine I had much the same debate, 6.1 vs 5.7, and after I bought I did have a few second thoughts, until I went to Lone-Star Moparfest a couple of months later, where there were several hundred modern Challengers and Chargers, and one thing I saw time after time while there were 5.7 owners boasting about all the SRT-8 take off parts they had added to their R/T's, take off SRT headers, exhaust, brakes, shocks, wheels, seats, etc. Yes, you do have to run premium fuel, and the fuel economy is not that great, I commute about 15 miles per day each way 45-65 mph speed limit, with over 50% at 65 mph and average just under 20mpg, on road trips I average around 23 mpg, so not a Prius, but who cares, I doubt that many Prius owners still average close to one compliment a day after 2 years of ownership, what can I say PCP attracts attention like no other car I have ever owned, and it does not SCREAM I demand attention like the high impact colors. Oh and if you look under the hood the 6.1 has the best looking Hemi engine build to date, with a massive long runner aluminum intake, not a plastic serving tray thing you find in a 5.7.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm admittedly biased, but SRT all the way.

Look at the value of a '99 Cobra vs a 99 GT. Or a 2001, or a 2003.
The SRT will always be special. The R/T is bad ass no doubt, but its the GT in that comparison.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts