Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I posted a few days ago regarding the installation of my double din alpine Head Unit I received.

I am having issues getting the TR7 to work properly and was looking for some help from anyone who has successfully connected theirs.

I connected:
Red TR7 to Red Alpine(Ignition) and Red RP4-CH11(Accessory)
Black TR7 to Black Alpine and Black RP4-CH11
Green TR7 to Blue/White Alpine and Blue/White RP4-CH11
Blue TR7 to Yellow/Black Alpine
White TR7 to Yellow/Blue

This did not allow me to access the settings menus so i assumed it didnt work after checking my connections multiple times.

I tried pulsing the TR7 to activate it manually for alpine (touch green wire 2x to Chassis ground (which I assume is the 3 black wires that are together) while having Blue and White TR7 wires disconnected. I opened up the module to see the light and it seemed to not be functioning how it should ( the light was extremely dim and the moment I lightly touched ground the light was blinking repetitively.

Question 1
-------------
I assume I have received my 2nd defective unit in a row and will have to order another. Does anyone know if I may be doing something wrong here?

Question 2
-------------
Has anyone successfully hooked up a CCD rear view camera to their challenger?
I received my back up camera today and want to know exactly where I should connect the power to the camera to. I am talking about the black/red wire on the left (other end connects to Red cable in middle to power camera). I am going to tap into the stock license light to provide power to the LED on the camera unit but do not know what to use to power the actual camera. any help?
The unit looks like this :

·
Registered
955 Posts
I used the same camera in my install to a pioneer deck. I ran the main camera power to the blue ACC wire from the pioneer. I have a small relay terminal that gets ACC power in the trunk to power amplifier turn-ons, but the trigger is the remote output from the deck (the blue wire). That way it's getting power any time the head unit is on, which is the only time I'd ever need the camera. Then the black wire just gets grounded. Mine terminates at the relay terminal and joins several other grounds. You shouldn't have any trouble by just picking the nearest bolt to ground to for a camera, but if you get weird images or noise coming through your speakers you might need to run the ground back to the battery to prevent ground loops.

You could run a separate run to the fuse block like carbcounter2012 said too, but you'd want a feed that is only on when the car is. Not just +12V off the battery or you could run your battery down overnight (or at least over a weekend).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the same camera in my install to a pioneer deck. I ran the main camera power to the blue ACC wire from the pioneer. I have a small relay terminal that gets ACC power in the trunk to power amplifier turn-ons, but the trigger is the remote output from the deck (the blue wire). That way it's getting power any time the head unit is on, which is the only time I'd ever need the camera. Then the black wire just gets grounded. Mine terminates at the relay terminal and joins several other grounds. You shouldn't have any trouble by just picking the nearest bolt to ground to for a camera, but if you get weird images or noise coming through your speakers you might need to run the ground back to the battery to prevent ground loops.

You could run a separate run to the fuse block like carbcounter2012 said too, but you'd want a feed that is only on when the car is. Not just +12V off the battery or you could run your battery down overnight (or at least over a weekend).
I am going to more than likely just tap into the fuse box how carbcounter2012 said, it just seems a little easier since the camera would already be there and I wouldnt have to run extra cables back to the HU (although I am going to have to run the cameras video cable back there). It looks like my remote wire is tapping into the fuse box already, so i should be able to just splice my camera + to the rem wire and ground the other and it should be fine correct?

·
Registered
955 Posts
It looks like my remote wire is tapping into the fuse box already, so i should be able to just splice my camera + to the rem wire and ground the other and it should be fine correct?
If that's the case, then yes it should work. REM only gets power when the deck turns on, so the camera will only get power when the deck turns on too, which is what you want.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after getting my 3rd PAC TR7 it finally worked as it should and am very happy. But it looks like the camera I received was faulty and now I have to wait another 2 weeks for a replacement. What great luck I had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts