Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am undecided about what intake to purchase !!! Should I get the K&N CAI or should I go for the Mopar CAI ????

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
mopar is widely accepted here.. I think the aira made the best claims but they have had some complaintes about getting products out.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
CAI is really a misnomer. unless the filter is down in the wheel well it's not really a CAI as the filter is still in the engine compartment.
truth be told the stock air box is probably a cooler temp setup than an open filter in the engine compartment even with a "heat shield".
Now the flexi ribbed stock intake is not as good as a smooth intake tube to be sure.
if you really want cold air stick with the stock setup...if you want a dressed up look then any cone filter setup if fine...they all net about a 5 hp gain

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am undecided about what intake to purchase !!! Should I get the K&N CAI or should I go for the Mopar CAI ????
I got the Airaid CAI on mine, simple install make use of the factory air box and seal to the hood of the car, so it dose isolate the intake air from the engine heat. Uses the factory air tub, but its such a short distance it will not have much effect.

·
Registered
181 Posts
save your money and put some duels on it...keep your box setup and drop in a k & n airfilter....then jack that thing up and yank out the intake silencer....made a big differance in mine.....and it sounds like an old school quadrajet.......next thing im going to try is to hook up some tubing from the hole left by the intake silencer to the front grill....redneck ram air......should work

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have the Mopar, looks good, great noise maker. I am happy with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow sounds nice! Can you elaborate with more detail on what you did because it sounds very interesting !

·
Registered
297 Posts
Get you a SRT factory intake, it works a lot better than the ones on the RT's. You can get one from some one on here that has changed thiers out. Good Luck! Ronnie

·
Registered
50 Posts
save your money and put some duels on it...keep your box setup and drop in a k & n airfilter....then jack that thing up and yank out the intake silencer....made a big differance in mine.....and it sounds like an old school quadrajet.......next thing im going to try is to hook up some tubing from the hole left by the intake silencer to the front grill....redneck ram air......should work
(are you referring to yanking out the air intake resonator? Is that what it's called in my crash estimating software??--Will yanking it out result in getting more dirt in the aircleaner element??

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Get you a SRT factory intake, it works a lot better than the ones on the RT's. You can get one from some one on here that has changed thiers out. Good Luck! Ronnie
SRT box won't fit, also the only diff between the SRT and R/T box is the factory cut away a chucnk from the forward face. Easy mod.

I would not worry about extra dirt in the air filter, the hole in the feder well is high and protected by a shield, the helmholtz resonation chamber after it does its dance picks up air in near the same location just below the fender well hole. IMO the resonation chamber does not hurt HP, and when removed does not add much to the sound, but hey it is a free mod.

·
Registered
181 Posts
SRT box won't fit, also the only diff between the SRT and R/T box is the factory cut away a chucnk from the forward face. Easy mod.

I would not worry about extra dirt in the air filter, the hole in the feder well is high and protected by a shield, the helmholtz resonation chamber after it does its dance picks up air in near the same location just below the fender well hole. IMO the resonation chamber does not hurt HP, and when removed does not add much to the sound, but hey it is a free mod.
i added an RT duel exaust to mine and when i pulled the silencer i did notice a slight gain in power and sound. notice i said slight....but hey slight is better than none

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Just remember the mopar one is metal and absorbs heat where as the plastic units will not.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
the RC2 intake that was talked about before shows nice dyno numbers with a really fat midrange, that is what the SE needs. If I were to buy an intake that would be the one. Insert standard disclaimer: No I don't work for the company or have any other dealings with them..

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
I like my Airaid on my R/T. Better job of filtering than most based on pre-buy research. Lots of filter area. Smooth plastic intake tube.
I'd assume the same to be true for the SE version, but not sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm guessing absorbing heat caused by the aluminum tube on the intake is a bad thing ???

- everyone thanks for all the helpful information I am really really taking all your advice in consideration in regards to how I Ho about with my SE challenger, again thanks you guys are the best !

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hay we talking SE here. SRT ot R/T will not mount to the SE.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm guessing absorbing heat caused by the aluminum tube on the intake is a bad thing ???

- everyone thanks for all the helpful information I am really really taking all your advice in consideration in regards to how I Ho about with my SE challenger, again thanks you guys are the best !
Heat is a bad thing. ALU is a great conductor of heat. that what most heat sinks are in electronics.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
Correct. Cooler air is denser which results in more power. Aluminum is a better conductor of heat than plastic so may tend to transfer heat from the engine compartment to the air inside - not a good thing.

This is the reason intercoolers are used with turbo-chargers and superchargers - to lower the intake air temp.

The same holds true, I think, for the plastic vs. aluminum intake manifolds. The aluminum looks really good and solid, but actually, the plastic may be a better choice since it probably transfers less heat to the air within.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I should go with the plastic rather than the aluminum?

And how do I know if my car is the SE or the SXT????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts