Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been seeing more and more people on this forum wanting to put tiny 17" wheels on their Challengers. I don't know if it's just the "old" guys trying to relive the "glory day's or what but in my opinion only...it looks HORRIBLE!

I don't understand people on here with beautiful modern day Challengers that insist on putting tiny wheels on such a large and heavy car?

Sure the muscle cars "back in the day" had small 14" or 15" wheels, but if you look at any late 60's early 70's muscle car( Camaro, Mustang, Challenger), the cars were a lot smaller and had much smaller wheel openings than their modern counterparts.They still looked great though because the wheels were in proportion to the car.

In order for our bigger modern day Challengers to look "proportionate" the designers, who I might add are professionals in their field decided that the perfect diameter they could go and still look right on the concept car was 20” front and 21" rear.

Once production began they had to compromise the looks for a more comfortable ride and less easliy damaged wheels for our many pot hole filled roads and take it down a notch to 20" on the majority of new Challengers (yes 18's are standard but I would guess that 75% have 20's from the factory)

I understand wanting to relive the "glory days" but just because it was cool back then doesn't mean it still is!

I'm 42 yrs old and sure I'd still love to wear my old MC Hammer pants from the 80's , or listen to my favorite Neil Diamond 8 track from the 70's but technology advances and tastes change (usually for the better) and I welcome it!

In the end the only thing that matters is that you are happy with your choices but please I beg you stop putting these silly looking small wheels on your beautiful cars! It reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger wearing 6 inch stilettos!

Flame away on my ridiculous 22" wheels now!:bash:

·
Registered
828 Posts
17" rims with the factory tires have almost the same outside diameter as the 20" rims with factory tires so they both fill the wheel wells the same....

·
Banned
349 Posts
I feel the EXACT same way about the guys putting the big wheels on the old cars. IMHO I think that was/is the worst fad to ever hit the classic car hobby! I have been a judge at national and local shows over the past 20+ years. I refuse to award ANY classic car with wheels larger than what it would have come with an award (the only exception being 15" wheels in place of 14"). In addition, white letter tires on cars that are too old to have had them in the fist place, another pet peeve. LOL So yes, I can absolutely see your point on this topic!

·
Banned
290 Posts
You don't like smaller wheels. You think they look bad. Decided to make a post about it. I don't understand, do you feel that your opinion means more somehow? I'm sure everyone will adjust to meet your aesthetic satisfaction.

This is a useful forum, but I've seen some pretty dumb posts.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think wheel size is definitely an age thing. I have 20's on mine because I got a killer deal on my Cragars. I could have easily gone with 18's. I guess I'm in the old camp (50+).

My 17 year old son thinks 18's would suck. My brother (my age) thinks the 20's are too big.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have 18's, but only because the rims on my car are not available in 20. IMHO, 22's are a bit too large, but its really a matter of personal preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am 29 years old. I wasn't around for the original muscle car "good ol days", so my opinion is pure aesthetics, not nostalgia.

I think my factory 20s look ok, 18s look better. Anything over 20 looks ridiculous, you're into "donk" ghetto territory. I've never been a fan of the oversized wheels with rubberband tires, nor the 13 inch gold wire wheels sticking out of the wells with hydraulics. But I'm not going to create a thread complaining about someone else's taste - if you like your 22s, power to you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
349 Posts
Just like everything else on a car, wheels are designed and engineered to be proportionate to the overall car. That's why 20" wheels on the old cars and 15" wheels on the new cars look absolutely horrendous. However, if someone wants to look like an idiot, their name is on the title, let them do so. We all have our pet peeves I am sure. I can think of dozens. How about the people that seem to think it necessary to put a huge Ford/Chevy/Dodge emblem on the back window? Wow, good thing that Mustang has that 36" wide blue oval in the back window, otherwise I would have confused it with the other 75 million Mustangs on the road or may have thought it was a Chevy if not for that massive Ford sticker! Or how about the lovely windshield visor reminder of the car model ie: CAMARO SS in great big letters. Wow, good thing it was there because the 5 other Camaro SS badges on the car may have been over looked. And the list goes on... LOL

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I thought it was about BRAKES...

I believe Brembo's and other strong brakes don't fit on 18" rims. You need big brakes to stop 4200 lbs. The classic muscle had ZERO stopping power.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gotta make sure I got this right....you buy a retro styled muscle car modeled after a 1970's car, and complain when folks go "old school". :rofl:

Besides, the purpose for reducing the rim size is to increase the sidewall. As long as the circumference remains the same or within a few percent, you are still filling the space with the same amount of wheel/tire combo.

If you don’t like the tire and are only concerned about the rim, that sounds like a materialistic "bling" thing.

17's here I come. Oh...I'm 41. :FRO:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Why bust on someone for an opinion? This entire site pretty much exists on opinions. If forums like this could only host facts, they would loose 75% of their content. That's just my opinion anyway...
Forums are perfect venues for positive opinion threads (check out my great new cosmetic mod) or solicitation opinion threads (what do you guys think about doing ABC). No need for pointlessly negative opinion threads (see above) with no purpose other than to degrade the choices of other forum members.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
968 Posts
This thread is like the opposite of the angry old people's "halo hate" thread, so I generally approve.

However while I agree 18 looks odd, I think 22 inches of dawnk looks equally out of place.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys I'm only posting my opinion to stimulate debate. These are my feelings as a car enthusiast. I love cars! All makes and models.

If you hate my 22's that's your opinion and I don't take it personally.

Please feel free to post your opinions as well. We are all allowed to have opinions aren't we?

I think that 24" wheels with the car jacked up looks just as ridiculous as 17". It's all about proportion of wheel/tire and wheel opening.

In 1987 a 17" wheel looked fantastic on a Corvette. Would the new Stingray look as good with 17's?

20's look great on the Challenger. Especially if they don't have a deep lip. 22"' are perfect if they have a deep lip. A wheel with a lip always "appears smaller than one with no lip.

Just to stir the pot a little why don't any of the worlds famous car makes like Ferrari, lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche , Mercedes,BMW, Bentley,etc put small wheels on their performance cars? Just doesn't look right!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look at these two cars. Each ones wheels look proportionate to the size of the wheel opening as well as the size if vehicle.

Switch wheels from each car to the other and one looks ridiculous with wheels too small and the other just as silly with wheels too big.

Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1385074975.925443.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1385074993.707860.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
349 Posts
This whole topic plays right into one of the biggest issues in today's society, thin skin/politically correctness etc. etc. etc. Now people want nothing but "positive threads only". LOL Kinda like today's version of discipline with kids and the whole time out thing. Oh brother, spare me, a quick smack in the ass will correct bad behavior a hell of a lot faster than sitting in chair for five minutes. Ok class, this is a feel good only forum, we can only use our inside voices today and we must compliment each others cars with a positive statement only. Otherwise you will have to put a Dodge hat on backwards and sit in a chair for five minutes all by yourself...

1 - 20 of 144 Posts