Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first “long” trip in my ‘12 R/T 6mt last night. I reset the average MPG reading just before I left. Drove about 400 miles. At the end of it all the average MPG reading was 28.6! The dash readout probably isn’t hyper-accurate, but I don’t really care, I was pretty happy with that. My daily vehicle is a 2.4L ‘08 Accord, and back when I used to figure the mpgs on it, I dont remember it being a whole lot better. I seem to remember 32 or so. I didn’t buy the R/T for fuel economy, but it’s nice to know a long trip doesn’t break the bank either.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
I remember 28 mpg on the highway with my 14 R/T M6. At 70 mph it would usually show 30 mpg on the dash. I had the 18 inch wheels and 3.73 gears so maybe that helped a little but these cars can get great mpg on the highway.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I agree, for a 4200 lb porker they make a great road trip car.

Driving to my daughters place in central Nevada on highway 50, with numerous summits to 6,000 ft+ I average 25 mpg roundtrip.

:guiness::guiness::guiness:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Fresh of the lot my 16 SPS was sporting high 20's during a 1,200+ mile journey home. We drive some amazing vehicles, don't we?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One reason I picked the Challenger was for the size and its highway cruising prowess. I can put the kids in the back, with plenty of room, and head out for road trips. So what if I lose drag strip battles to Camaros and 5.0s, my R/T gives a respectable showing, and it’s well worth the trade off for the usability I get.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've always been very pleased with the Challenger's MPG coming from A5 R/T, to a 6spd R/T Blacktop and now the Scat Pack Shaker. Even the 6.4 get's about 26mpg if I'm doing the speed limit. I just drove to Baltimore from Raleigh at 75-85mpg and averaged 24.5mpg. That's respectable for a performance car. My wife's small SUV get's around the same but the Challenger's more comfortable and let's face it look good cruising down the highway :wink3:

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
Took a 1.5 hour highway drive yesterday.At 71 mph getting 24.7 MPG,car (2018 SRT)has 1,550 miles on the OD.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Mileage wasn't a concern for the 2008-2010 SRT with its no holds barred performance engine. Its 425 hp. 6.1 Hemi only got 13 mpg in the city, 19 on the highway and 15 mpg. avg. (with premium gas). It came with a $1,500 gas guzzler tax. Compared to more recent engines, it was a...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I believe it, that's what I usually got with my 2010 5.7L 6 speed. Same thing, I didn't buy the car for fuel economy but I was perfectly happy with what it got.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,261 Posts
I noticed on the way to the drag strip yesterday that I was getting 25.5 mpg with my 392 Hemi, which I consider dang good for a powerful V8. Of course after I spent the day at the track that had dropped off to something like 14.5 mpg lol. But overall I've been impress with what you can get with our cars whether a 5.7 or 6.4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts