Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I need some help with my install. I replaced my OEM 1/1 sensor with the sensor supplied with the kit , I got everything to work properly except for the analog out connection signal going back to the PCM. I have tried to connect both the #3 & 4 wires in the diagram (connector for OEM o2 sensor to take signal back to PCM. When 4 was connected I was getting a reading of 3mV in my VCM scanner and when 3 was connected I was getting 1200 mV. Neither would oscillate properly.

Has anyone installed this and had success please help if so. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe I need the actual pin out of the PCM. Does anyone know or have a diagram so that I can identify the correct pin for the 1/1 sensor? Based off the directions I believe I need to connect the wire from the PLX anolog out to that pin on PCM.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,527 Posts
I believe I need the actual pin out of the PCM. Does anyone know or have a diagram so that I can identify the correct pin for the 1/1 sensor? Based off the directions I believe I need to connect the wire from the PLX anolog out to that pin on PCM.
I don't see how PCM pinout will help you? The power train control module pinouts are here:
Mopar Connection Repair Kit
This is the one with O2 connections.

Pin 4 on the 02 plug should be sensor output and pin 3 should be sensor ground. Are you testing output when the car is running and at operating temp (sensor needs to heat up)? Also when you connected to the sensor module, are you sure you connected to the analog 1v output pin?

What is not clear to me is if the 12v, ground are suppose to interface with the factory O2 plug?
12v goes to pin 1
ground goes to pin 2 & 3?
1v analog goes to pin 4

I would call PLX to confirm. Interesting, their add says "don't forget to add an O2 bung..."?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see how PCM pinout will help you? The power train control module pinouts are here:
This is the one with O2 connections.

Pin 4 on the 02 plug should be sensor output and pin 3 should be sensor ground. Are you testing output when the car is running and at operating temp (sensor needs to heat up)? Also when you connected to the sensor module, are you sure you connected to the analog 1v output pin?

What is not clear to me is if the 12v, ground are suppose to interface with the factory O2 plug?
12v goes to pin 1
ground goes to pin 2 & 3?
1v analog goes to pin 4

I would call PLX to confirm. Interesting, their add says "don't forget to add an O2 bung..."?

Here is a better shot of the directions. Calls for the 12v to be connected to an ignition source and ground to a good ground I assume.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,527 Posts
Here is a better shot of the directions. Calls for the 12v to be connected to an ignition source and ground to a good ground I assume.
Yes that is for the barrel type connector that powers the module (far left connection). I am referring to the 4 pin output connector that lists 4 connections (12V, gnd, 1V and 5V) that all connect to "your application" as they put it (or am I reading that wrong). You need to the factory O2 plugged to something as the PCM monitors the heater of the O2. If it is not connected it will throw a code.

Looking at this again, I think I assumed the pinout of the 4 pin connection on the module incorrectly. Ok so they give you an analog output for the PCM which should go to Pin 4 and Pin 3 should be signal ground. How are you going to handle the heater connection for the factory O2 plug...by installing a resistor?

Nevermind, now I see how the factory connection is handled...you need to keep the factory O2 connected but hung out of the way but you will need to tap into the signal line.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is for the barrel type connector that powers the module (far left connection). I am referring to the 4 pin output connector that lists 4 connections (12V, gnd, 1V and 5V) that all connect to "your application" as they put it (or am I reading that wrong). You need to the factory O2 plugged to something as the PCM monitors the heater of the O2. If it is not connected it will throw a code.

Looking at this again, I think I assumed the pinout of the 4 pin connection on the module incorrectly. Ok so they give you an analog output for the PCM which should go to Pin 4 and Pin 3 should be signal ground. How are you going to handle the heater connection for the factory O2 plug...by installing a resistor?

Nevermind, now I see how the factory connection is handled.
I see what u are saying. Might be onto something. There are 4 wires that go to the PCM from that sensor.

1. Signal
2. Return
3. Heater
4. Ground

Ground would be self explanatory, The grey wire (from the PLX) to signal wire, where would the 12v go? Then that will leave one wire not connected. Thoughts?

I can tell you this......their install instructions SUCK! ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind, now I see how the factory connection is handled...you need to keep the factory O2 connected but hung out of the way but you will need to tap into the signal line.
I am going to give that a shot, if it don't work I guess I have to call them. Thanks for the help?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,527 Posts
I see what u are saying. Might be onto something. There are 4 wires that go to the PCM from that sensor.

1. Signal
2. Return
3. Heater
4. Ground

Ground would be self explanatory, The grey wire (from the PLX) to signal wire, where would the 12v go? Then that will leave one wire not connected. Thoughts?

I can tell you this......their install instructions SUCK! ��
Yeah they could improve the instructions. The grey wire from the 1V would go to the signal wire pin 4. Ground would most likely go to return pin 3. If it is a 12V output it goes nowhere, I was thinking it was for the 12V heater control side which would imply there is a resistor in the box. When I installed my homemade O2 sim on my infiniti, I left the factory O2 sensor in but installed a DPDT switch (labeled on side street the other strip) at the PCM. That way I could switch between the sim and factory O2. I just used the sim output as signal and ground as the return. Hence, I thought that was the function of the 4 pin connector on the module. It looks like you must keep the factory O2 connected which sucks. You would have to disconnect pin 4 (snip) from the factory O2 and tie in the grey wire from the module. Can't imagine the heater on the factory O2 would last long considering the temperature delta would be significant.

BTW when I was searching, I found some posts on a chevy site that stated the sensor does not last long (~40k) if used as a NB replacement and keeping it powered up without the engine running shortens the life of the sensor. Now I see why PLX says, don't forget the extra bung.

Check out the vid at 0:19. They have 2 wires connected to the left side of the 4 pin connector which the instructions don't specify. It looks like it is 12V and ground that they use for the meter.

Honestly, I would call them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts