Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally am taking my turn in the “check engine” mill. I haven’t driven the car for the past 3 weeks. I started it yesterday and discovered the CEL and the motor was running slightly rough. Put my reader on there and have PO204 as an active code. Removed the cover and discovered that some little bastards (mice) have been setting up shop on the top of my motor. Pictures detail the damage. The two wires going to the injector have been gnawed on, the wires look relatively intact. My question is....anyone with experience with this and if simply applying electrical tape can isolate these wires adequately? The picture showing the wires is a bit out of focus but the extent of the damage is pretty minor. Any thoughts or experience is gladly accepted.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
I would recommend that you repair the wiring before taping it up. If there is too much resistance in the circuit, you may continue to have problems. Also would be worthwhile to inspect the rest of the wiring, as much as you can access, for damage.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,440 Posts
Shrink wrap em

Reactions: fyrdude

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say “repair”, do you suggest cutting the damaged part out and then spicing, soldering, and then shrink wrapping Or.....?

I would recommend that you repair the wiring before taping it up. If there is too much resistance in the circuit, you may continue to have problems. Also would be worthwhile to inspect the rest of the wiring, as much as you can access, for damage.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
I would try to get a connector repair kit (dealership item, may be available from the aftermarket), and install it with the wires spliced and soldered. I would definitely use shrink wrap instead of tape, and I prefer the shrink wrap that is supplied by Mopar over generic stuff. The Mopar shrink wrap has a sealer in it that isn't present in the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for the replies.... I’ll start looking for the connector repair kit

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
I would try to get a connector repair kit (dealership item, may be available from the aftermarket), and install it with the wires spliced and soldered. I would definitely use shrink wrap instead of tape, and I prefer the shrink wrap that is supplied by Mopar over generic stuff. The Mopar shrink wrap has a sealer in it that isn't present in the cheap stuff.
This.....

There should be an injector pigtail harness available as a service part.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Most auto parts store will car the injector pigtail. RockAuto is another source if you can deal with shipping delays.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, here is a little update. Before I start, I fully intend to change the injector pigtail. I didn’t see any harm in trying to slip some shrink wrap over the wires in an attempt to seal them up. I split the wrap with an x-acto knife and then used a heat gun to shrink them up. I cleared the codes and then tried it out. The Check Engine Light came on almost immediately. Fiddled around and tried again after clearing the code. It came on but the engine felt and sounded fine. I took it for a spin to see if the PCM would recognize there are no issues. The light stayed illuminated. When I returned home, I erased the code again. Started the car again and the CEL came back on. I should note that I peeled some of the harness tape back to the junction of where the wires split to the injector and the coil pack and saw zero evidence of rodent damage. I did have a lot of trouble trying to remove the wire clip from the injector. I released the red clip, but could not remove the connector from the injector. I was getting to the “stop pulling so hard, you’re going to break it” level.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
My 2nd hand experience with cars with rodent damage is the techs replace the damaged wiring with factory sourced wiring harness. This gives the best chance for the engine (or whatever other systems which had damaged wiring) to resume working correctly again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure where you keep your car but for the rodent problem I recommend peppermint oil, comes in a variety of rodent repellant brands, check your local big box store. Spray on the ground around your vehicle and driveway/garage. You can spray under the car too, personal pref.

I also recommend old school spring loaded mouse/rat traps. Hot glue some dry dog food to the trap, works every time.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Not sure where you keep your car but for the rodent problem I recommend peppermint oil, comes in a variety of rodent repellant brands, check your local big box store. Spray on the ground around your vehicle and driveway/garage. You can spray under the car too, personal pref.

I also recommend old school spring loaded mouse/rat traps. Hot glue some dry dog food to the trap, works every time.
Most of the time I have parked my cars under car ports. A few times I lived in a place with garage. I never have had rodent problems. My experience was 2nd hand in that I came upon at different times vehicles in for what proved to be rodent damage.

Currently my Scat Pack is parked in a garage. I have 4 spring loaded mice traps against where the wall and floor meet. I have baited these with a smear of peanut butter, which I found in the past works very well as bait.

The garage has no holes in the walls, and except for the car has nothing else in it (like boxes) which might further attract mice.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Resolved. Followed the advice given and bought a replacement pigtail. Cleared the codes and all is well. Splice, solder, and shrink wrap. Thanks for the tips.

The pic below shows the extent of the little bastards’ work. I’m no electrician, but I don’t understand how such minor damage would cause resistance, or whatever phenomenon threw a code?

And the peppermint oil repellant arrives tomorrow.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I found evidence of rodents in the engine compartments of the two vehicles that I park outside. I have been putting mothball packets in the engine compartment and that seems to keep them away. It is a pain as I have to open the hood & remove the packets every time I want to drive the car.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
I'm a career engineer with a BSEE. Based on the picture you posted I agree with you. Doesn't look like there is enough damage there to cause additional resistance in the circuit. Of course metering the resistance in each circuit and also measuring resistance to ground/adjacent wires would tell the story. Out where I am rodents are a constant problem but those guys who worked you over have some good teeth!

A little shrink wrap should have done the trick but your fix is more elegant assuming your solder joints are good. If it were me I'd still be a tad concerned since I don't see sufficient damage in your pictures to cause a code. Slight possibility that it is a different wire that got eaten and is the actual problem.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts