Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a U7135 from my 300 SRT8. Currently DS has not cracked the 11 code, despite that I mreally wondering what the advantage of this is for a 6 speed. Is there really any increase in HP on a 6 Speed using the canned tunes? Most noticeable on my SRT8 was the improvement of the automatic in shift firmness, the raised RPM was nice, but on the 5.7 with VTC, Im not sure it helps unless a shift is running up against a milestone ( 60 MPH as an exanmle). Correct my assumptions please!

It also allows the fans to be changed, however so does the GSM mod which also defeats the Torque Management.

So the real question is for Cat back/ CAI and a 6 speed, it really worth having, VS putting it towards a solo catback?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a U7135 from my 300 SRT8. Currently DS has not cracked the 11 code, despite that I mreally wondering what the advantage of this is for a 6 speed. Is there really any increase in HP on a 6 Speed using the canned tunes? Most noticeable on my SRT8 was the improvement of the automatic in shift firmness, the raised RPM was nice, but on the 5.7 with VTC, Im not sure it helps unless a shift is running up against a milestone ( 60 MPH as an exanmle). Correct my assumptions please!

It also allows the fans to be changed, however so does the GSM mod which also defeats the Torque Management.

So the real question is for Cat back/ CAI and a 6 speed, it really worth having, VS putting it towards a solo catback?
I actually just went through the same dilemma. I did install the Solo Cat Back 3 weeks prior to getting the Predator, love the sound and seemed to be a little more responsive. I ran across a great deal for a DS that was unlocked and just needed an update, I figured I couldn't go wrong for $170 so I figured if I didn't notice a difference, I could reinstall the factory tune and just resell it for the same price and be out nothing. Well, I cannot believe the difference, it literally "Woke up" my car. It screams off the line now, seems to have a lot more in the pulling dept going through the gears, so I would say, yes, you will notice the difference, it also bumped up the redline 200 RPM which helps out a lot particularly in 1st gear, I too have a 6 spd, you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Boosted me. Shifting is firmer and seemingly less play in the clutch. I don't remember the time difference, but in sprints, there was a definate effect. Throttle response increased too .. but this is as far as I've gone between the two on evaluations. I've stuck with the 91 and 93 canned tunes. I do not have HP number differences between the two (no dynos, sorry).

Personal opinion (especially since you're not in California), put your money to the solo catback. I've heard great reviews on them and have been trying to figure out how to put them in a Cali car and still pass emissions. ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Boosted me. Shifting is firmer and seemingly less play in the clutch. I don't remember the time difference, but in sprints, there was a definate effect. Throttle response increased too .. but this is as far as I've gone between the two on evaluations. I've stuck with the 91 and 93 canned tunes. I do not have HP number differences between the two (no dynos, sorry).

Personal opinion (especially since you're not in California), put your money to the solo catback. I've heard great reviews on them and have been trying to figure out how to put them in a Cali car and still pass emissions. ;)
Catbacks don't affect emissions, why wouldn't it pass in Cali? I'm from California never had issues like that

·
Registered
531 Posts
Same here. I've been told as long as it is modded behind the cat it shouldn't be a problem for CA emissions.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've never seen a catback add much more than 3-5 rwhp, and only if the stock exhaust is a restriction.

The Predator at the very least gives you skip shift, fan control, and TM reductions, which makes it a great bargain since you are comparing it to other modules that do the same thing.
Then throw in tuning ability, and its an even better deal.
Add in the ability to datalog, and read and clear trouble codes, and it becomes even more attractive ;)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Catbacks don't affect emissions, why wouldn't it pass in Cali? I'm from California never had issues like that
Oh, that makes me more happy. I'm not origianally from Cali and trying hard to figure out the CARB laws. You just made my year. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
You need a Predator or Trinity as a starting point for future mods, so it's really a no-brainer. As for the canned tunes, they did not help me in testing with TT Dyno, but YMMV and the gas around where I live is not the best, so that could play into it some. In fact I lost power on the 93 tune.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've never seen a catback add much more than 3-5 rwhp, and only if the stock exhaust is a restriction.

The Predator at the very least gives you skip shift, fan control, and TM reductions, which makes it a great bargain since you are comparing it to other modules that do the same thing.
Then throw in tuning ability, and its an even better deal.
Add in the ability to datalog, and read and clear trouble codes, and it becomes even more attractive ;)

Yes, yes, I'm attracted already...now when is the 392 version going to be available...

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
RT auto's benefit the most from predator, my PB went from 14.1 to 13.46, i did add 10 street tires on the back though.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I got a HUGE boost adding the Diablo Predator, and I have a 6 speed. More low end punch, and just more power all throughout the rev range. The car accelerates with more urgency and can now break the tires loose at 75mph. I'm sure I got a good result with the combination of mods, but I'm sure it will benefit you in any case.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Predator/Trinity is well worth the price for a six speed, IMHO.

My testing last year with TT Dyno showed I gained about 15 to 17 RWHP with the 91 octane CAI tune. Other advantages

Ability to turn on Dyno Mode (full defeat of BAS/traction control) for the race track. Key trick doesn't work well at the track.

Ability to go 170 mph in my R/T if I want to (speed limiter defeat)

Ability to set fans to take advantage of 180 deg T-stat.

Eliminates skip shift.

6000 rpm red line for 5.7 built into canned tunes (0-60 mph takes one shift instead of two)

So that's what the Predator does for a six speed. I would say it's well worth it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Saw a cutaway of the suitcase muffler, it is a miracle the exhaust finds it's way to the tailpipe. Also saw a cutaway of the resonator,excellent at reducing sound but not a real restriction, 2.5" in 2.75" through the perferated mid section. 2.5" out.There are like 20 functions that you can monitor and change.Increase or decrease timing, add or subtract fuel,increase throttle boost. Although some of the readings are not as accurate as a wide band O2 sensor,IMO you can certainly get within range of the high dollar custom tunes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.