Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you love anywhere except Florida right now, you're probably dealing with the frigid temperatures outside. Here in Cincinnati, it was -7 degrees today with a windchill of -30. My car was frozen solid this morning. Even with Carhartt's on, I had to go back into my house a few times to warm up this morning while I was trying to get into my car.

Anyhow, when I opened the door, the window did not drop. I had no choice but to close the door shut while the glass sat on the outer seal. The car sat outside at work like that all day until I had a chance to play with it. Now the window will drop slightly when opening the door, but won't raise back up after it's closed, leaving a small gap. If I push the button, the window will slowly move down as far as I want it to go, and I mean SLLLLOOOOWWWW, but will not roll back up. I had to get a co-working to hold the button up while I pulled on the glass. After a few moments of struggling, it went up all the way and now it's resting against the outer seal again.

Needless to say, this has been a frustrating day. I hope when it warms up on Wednesday, I can figure out if everything was just frozen and that's the reason for the problems, or if something broke.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Drove my car for 2 winters in Edmonton, -40 can be normal in the winter. Was always very surpised at how well the car did for it being so cold out. The only time I had issues with the windows was when I washed them the day before. Also I never plugged the car and it always started great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm dealing with the same problem. -5 at my house this morning with wind chill of -20. I used Gummi Pfledge all over my window seals and it seems to be helping but the glass still slides sloowwlllyyy and I'm afraid it's going to hurt the regulators or motors. Plus, I noticed that ice accumulates really bad at the bottom of the door sill near the weatherstripping. These cars are terrible winter cars....just terrible.

I can't wait for April to get here.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
37 degrees in east central Florida this am and chicks are still wearing flip flops. They must be from the north pole?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
It was 20 degrees yesterday afternoon and set off a P0128 CEL because of my 180 Tstat...the car just would not warm up past 175. Single digits this morning.
Polar Vortex - 1 SRT8 - 0

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
its a good idea to scrape the ice off the glass where it meets the weatherstrip.

You'll want to take your ice scraper inside the night before so you can do that w/o opening the door.

In the first weeks of taking delivery of my car, I experienced three 6" snowfalls and had an minor ice storm - got stuck in a friends' driveway on the 2nd snow /ice event and found out the scraping before opening the door would take of that problem.

I would start the car, crank up the blower and heat settings while scraping the glass - after a couple of minutes, the ice was clearing away from the glass and weatherstrip.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
My F1's sounded crunchy this morning at 1 degree as I pulled out of the garage. Once I got them rolling all was normal.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Today is COLD for Virginia Beach...

I think it was in the teens this morning (about 25-30 degrees colder than normal). Anyway, I took it easy driving in on the cold roads. Nothing abnormal. At 1030, as I pulled out of the parking lot while making a turn (normal accelleration-nothing big) my rear end broke free, tires spinning, etc. Not a big deal, just a "surprise." (counter steer fixed the fish-tailing).

These Goodyear F1's have absolutely ZERO traction in the cold.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm in Chicago. As I type this message and look at my phone, the outside temp is -4 with a windchill of -15. At this same time yesterday, we were at -51 windchill factor.

Challenger started with no problems. No window issues. Just a little slipping on the way home. This frigid cold turns snow into compacted ice. Car has done extremely well in this weather. Knock on wood. Running stock 20" clad chromes with Firestone GTs. Next year I will run blizzaks

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Yep, no traction until warmed up. I have no idea how "Warm" the tires got after driving a few miles but by the time I got to work (30 miles) they were gripping better.

After two days in a row of 0-5 degree weather and a nasty crunching sound as I pulled out of the garage and driveway (including a sharp turn to get out of my driveway) I'm curious to see if any damage was done to the F1s. I've read before that people have experienced cracking at low temperatures with them.

I'll be getting some Firestone Wide Ovals once these wear out (I work for Bridgestone/Firestone). Hopefully the wide ovals don't pick up as much shit off the road and sling it on the car. It sounds like my car is being sandblasted whenever I drive down back roads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup...mine spun the tires at 55 mph trying to merge with traffic...brand new F1's. Very dangerous at temps below freezing.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
As for the OP,

This is what we have to deal with. My first experience with stuck frozen windows was with an '05 Mustang. I have since owned an '09 Challenger and a 2013 Challenger with the same ailment...If it rains the night before the temps go below freezing, there's no telling if the windows will operate normally.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just run a credit card behind the rubber before opening the door and it will free up. It freezes most right behind the outside mirror. Simple fix and you should have one in your pocket handy anyhow.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Never thought about the credit card trick but my door was stuck Monday so I didn't even go to work. Tuesday I end up using a screw driver wrapped in a towel to pry it open. My fingers had gone numb so they were useless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts