Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that this kit helps the engine run cooler, but I want to know if any member can advice about it or any experience if really drop the temp of the engine oil.

This are the parts that will work in a 08 and 09 Challenger...
OEM Thermostat Housing - 53022168AB
OEM Hoses - 55038135AA & 55038146AA
OEM Police Package Oil Cooler - 5037523AA
OEM Oil Filter Metric Fitting - 53022323AA

·
Banned
162 Posts
I am a cop, I drive the chargers, with hemi's and I notice the temps are the same as when my thermostat was stock. I now have the 180 thermostat.
Up to you, but here is a question. Does your car go from idle to 120, back to idle for 3 hours, to cruising , to idle for an hour, to full throttle, back to rest, daily, for literally 24 hours a day. If so, get it , if not..... make your own desicion.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a cop, I drive the chargers, with hemi's and I notice the temps are the same as when my thermostat was stock. I now have the 180 thermostat.
Up to you, but here is a question. Does your car go from idle to 120, back to idle for 3 hours, to cruising , to idle for an hour, to full throttle, back to rest, daily, for literally 24 hours a day. If so, get it , if not..... make your own desicion.

My SRT8 is my daily car, so I am living now in PR, and is all time Tropical Weather basically from 88 degrees to 93 degrees avarage and the humidity is high. The summer begans one week ago and the temp will be up to hot one to fast until october. Rare times 74 to 77 in the mornings. When I bought the car the OIL Temp in normal driving was 230, if I take the car to the 1/4 Track on Saturday after 2 pass the temp up to 245 or more. I add a 180 thermostat and the tune for the fans speed. I live in San Juan ,metro area, and is a heavy traffic all day. The car can be in my work parcking lot about 8 hrs sometimes. After star up the engine take near 8 minutes to be in 188 water temp and 199 oil temp and high way the oil temp will up to 208 dgrees. My specs is to decrease this temp to increase maybe some fuel mileage, oil consumption, and performance if I race the car in the 1/4 track.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I've done a fair amount of research on cooling. There's a great thread on the LXForum title Frankencooling. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send you a link. If you're serious about oil cooling (I like road racing and I live in TX...high this weekend will be 100 degrees) then the police cooler is OK but the best thing you can do is a stacked oil cooler up in the bumper (like a radiator with the oil running through it). The Earl's unit is very nice.

Anyway, take a look and then you can decide how serious you are. The radiators in the R/T's are an absolute joke and that's why mine is out and replaced with a MUCH larger unit. And why they only include a single fan in the R/T's, while the R/T Chargers get dual fans, is beyond my comprehension....B.S.! Help thyself...mod that car ;-)

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
If you read the latest recommendations for Maximum cooling at the Frankencooler thread, they recommend running the Mopar Police Oil Cooler AND a stacked plate-style oil cooler. This is my plan for the next couple weeks.

My Police Oil Cooler kit arrived today. I ordered from Moparsupercenter which had the best price at $189. Everything looks OK. The one thing I worried about was that since the stock MOPAR SRT filter would no longer fit, which filter would I choose?

That became a no-brainer when I got the kit. Turns out the oil filter off my Dodge Ram SRT10 viper engine is a perfect match for the new threads off the Police Oil Cooler mounting bolt. Now I can continue using a MOPAR oil filter, and off a Viper to boot.

Here's a photo showing the P/Ns of both filters. Stock SRT filter on the left, Viper on the right..

I'll post more photos in a couple weeks when I get the time for the install.

Oh yea, since I can't use the SRT8 oil filters anymore, I've got three to sell for a good price..

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I got the kit installed yesterday, photos to come as soon as I get the time.

Hop Not goes on today..

·
Vendor
13,395 Posts
I saw that this kit helps the engine run cooler, but I want to know if any member can advice about it or any experience if really drop the temp of the engine oil.

This are the parts that will work in a 08 and 09 Challenger...
OEM Thermostat Housing - 53022168AB
OEM Hoses - 55038135AA & 55038146AA
OEM Police Package Oil Cooler - 5037523AA
OEM Oil Filter Metric Fitting - 53022323AA
dealer net on those parts add up to 200.14, msrp 354.92

ct member get cost + 10%

Luke

·
Registered
574 Posts
On my 2010 SRT I found virtually no difference in maximum oil temperature between no cooler and the Police Oil Cooler, so I bought a stacked-plate cooler and oil thermostat in addition.

One advantage of the POC is that the oil comes up to temperature about 10 minutes faster in summer and 20 minutes faster in winter.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Word of warning... I'm also in the process of installing a stacked plate Earls oil cooler, and had big-time problems finding an adapter to fit on the 22mm x 1.5mm threads that came on the POC mounting bolt.

It is my understanding that there are two kits out there, one that keeps the stock 22 x 1.5mm threads at the oil filter, and another that maintains the blocks 3/4 x 16" threads at the oil filter.

You'll have a difficult time trying to find a remote oil cooler adapter that uses those 22 x 1.5mm threads. I wanted to use the Earls oil thermostat adapter so oil wouldn't go through my Earls oil cooler until the oil temps hit 180 degrees. But it won't work with the 22 x 1.5mm threads.

I ended up ordering a black anodized oil cooler adapter (from Moroso) at Summit racing. It's designed for Fords, but the seal matches up and the threads are a match so it should work. I'll be installing it permanently tomorrow morning with red locktite.

Photos to come...

·
Registered
574 Posts
It is my understanding that there are two kits out there, one that keeps the stock 22 x 1.5mm threads at the oil filter, and another that maintains the blocks 3/4 x 16" threads at the oil filter.

You'll have a difficult time trying to find a remote oil cooler adapter that uses those 22 x 1.5mm threads. I wanted to use the Earls oil thermostat adapter so oil wouldn't go through my Earls oil cooler until the oil temps hit 180 degrees. But it won't work with the 22 x 1.5mm threads.
The factory made a change from 3/4 x 16 to 22 x 1.5 in 2010 or so. Previous cars used the 3/4 inch adapter and filter, later cars used the 22mm adapter and filter. You buy the POC that matches your car's thread pattern.

Instead of using the Earl's thermostat, I used the separate Canton thermostat (22-480 available at Amazon or eBay for a decent price) that mounts between the sandwich adapter and the cooler. A big advantage of the Canton Thermostat is that it opens at 215° so your oil gets warm enough to eliminate moisture from blowby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.