Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking inspiration from post #101 from Under hood pictures please post!, I decided to polish my A/C lines today. Used some fine grit sandpaper in a few spots followed by some polishing compound with a microfiber, and now I'm sitting here wondering how I couldn't have thought of this myself? I've got more work to do, but so far I'm really happy with the result.

Even before the polishing, I've never been happy with the big grey cap on the A/C line. I've got plenty of Billet Technology pieces in my engine bay, but never could quite pull the trigger on the A/C cap. Well with the newly polished lines, I had to do something about it so I decided to see if the plastic would take dye and I'm happy to report that it did! Now the plastic caps are a perfectly homogeneous dark black, and a much better fit with the rest of the engine compartment.

AC Lines polished.jpg
RIT Dye Caps.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,471 Posts
Very nice. Mostly free mod that makes such a difference. I may have to add that to my list. The V6 at least has a big tube on the left side that may polish up as well

The tube to the left is polished as well?

A Guy

Reactions: PrestonRT

·
Registered
2016 R/T
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did polish the left/lower tube too, but its a bit coarser so it isn't as shiny as the smaller tube. I'm going to work on it with progressively finer sandpaper until I can get a mirror-like finish. I also polished the lines behind the engine visible in this attached photo, but they're funny as they have rough and smooth areas, so the finish isn't perfect. I'll be working on them too.

Rear AC lines.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,972 Posts
Dying the AC cap is a great idea. I have dyed a lot of RC car plastic pieces and never thought of doing that. Looks great. Will have to try that. I wonder if the dipstick handle would take dye.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
That all came out nice. Personally, I wouldn't do stuff like that, underhood is more about performance and functionality to me. But, I like stuff like that a lot more than changing colors, billet stuff just for appearance, stuff like that.
Dyeing the caps was a good idea, and they look more "Factory" than when new.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dying the AC cap is a great idea. I have dyed a lot of RC car plastic pieces and never thought of doing that. Looks great. Will have to try that. I wonder if the dipstick handle would take dye.
Thanks! That's exactly where I got the idea, as I dyed a lot of the parts on my RC cars years ago to get the color schemes I wanted. I will go ahead and let you know that I already tried dying the yellow windshield washer fluid cap about a year ago and that plastic would not take the dye. It looks like the washer fluid cap is the same plastic as the oil dipstick handle so I have a feeling it won't work, but if you try and find success please let me know!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Try steel wool on your AC lines. Might be easier to work with than sandpaper. Not as aggressive. Flitz polish works pretty good on shining things up also. I use it on the motorcycle.

The AC lines look great 'PrestonRT .
Excellent idea,
Best regards
parrott

Reactions: PrestonRT

·
Registered
2016 R/T
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That all came out nice. Personally, I wouldn't do stuff like that, underhood is more about performance and functionality to me. But, I like stuff like that a lot more than changing colors, billet stuff just for appearance, stuff like that.
Right on, I hear you about the performance, but why not look good while your winning too? Best of both worlds!

·
Registered
2016 R/T
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try steel wool on your AC lines. Might be easier to work with than sandpaper. Not as aggressive. Flitz polish works pretty good on shining things up also. I use it on the motorcycle.

The AC lines look great 'PrestonRT .
Excellent idea,
Best regards
parrott
Thanks for the advice! I will try the steel wool after work tonight.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right on, I hear you about the performance, but why not look good while your winning too? Best of both worlds!
Actually now that I think about it, I suppose you could find yourself in this situation.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,972 Posts
Thanks! That's exactly where I got the idea, as I dyed a lot of the parts on my RC cars years ago to get the color schemes I wanted. I will go ahead and let you know that I already tried dying the yellow windshield washer fluid cap about a year ago and that plastic would not take the dye. It looks like the washer fluid cap is the same plastic as the oil dipstick handle so I have a feeling it won't work, but if you try and find success please let me know!
I had a feeling the dip stick might not take dye being it is a harder type plastic.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
I too have dyed RC parts in the past. RC10T stuff IIRC. Other "mods" I have seen under the hood, that I like, are people painting/coating the factory coolant reservoir black or bedliner stuff. So it is still looking factory, just not that odd milky colored look that is never attractive.
I wish I had a picture of my father in laws old 1998 Subaru Impresa RS. It had the ugliest underhood I have ever seen, everything, EVERYTHING was basically the color of cardboard. Chrome fuel rail, hoses, belts, engine... It had (I think) 230K miles, and was all original other then fluid/filters. Still had the original clutch. He drove about 120miles a day for a few years and really racked up the miles on it. I would have been as proud of that as one that was detailed.

Reactions: vpzyck
1 - 12 of 12 Posts