Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Torq brand is any good or how it stacks up against the Porter Cable? I want to stay under $150

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Torq that I got from Chemical guys. The only complaint I have with it, is I wish I would have bought a bigger one. Other than that it works great and does a good job for me. Keep an eye for for chemical guys as they always have specials and sales. They may still be running the labor day sale.

Ben

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the porter cable and love it. Been using it for about 5 years now. As stated above watch Chemical guys as they will have sales and package deals. Don't think you would go wrong with either one.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I have a Torq that I got from Chemical guys. The only complaint I have with it, is I wish I would have bought a bigger one. Other than that it works great and does a good job for me. Keep an eye for for chemical guys as they always have specials and sales. They may still be running the labor day sale.

Ben
I have Meguiar's DA drill attachment and have the same complaint. Works great, but I wish I had a bigger pad.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i have the torq 21 and love it.. love the digital display.. like that when you shut it off it start back to zero so you don't have full power slinging compound all over everything.. works great.. good feel used it a ton.. no complaints

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,643 Posts
I have a Porter Cable and am very happy with how it performs. I'll bet there's not much difference in tools of a similar price range. Don't forget to get quality pads. They are where the product is actually applied so they are maybe more important than the tool.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Newbie to polishers here so bear with me. What difference would there be between needing to use a D/A buffer and one of these?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Newbie to polishers here so bear with me. What difference would there be between needing to use a D/A buffer and one of these?
A D/A buffer is more forgiving to an amateur (less likely to cut through the clearcoat). A standard, variable speed gives a better finish.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
I have a Porter Cable and am very happy with how it performs. I'll bet there's not much difference in tools of a similar price range. Don't forget to get quality pads. They are where the product is actually applied so they are maybe more important than the tool.
Dwalt DWP849. It's a professional grade buffer and the standard in the refinishing industry.

DEWALT 12 Amp 7 in./9 in. Variable Speed Polisher-DWP849 - The Home Depot
Good info. I'll be sticking with the D/A. Thanks.
OP, you came to the right conclusion!

Not all polishers are created equal, regardless of price point. I'm not familiar with the Torq, but it appears to be the Chemical Guys "house brand". May be perfectly fine, but for $30 less you can go with a name brand like the Porter Cable 7424 XP, and have a more powerful tool with a long and proven history.

I would most definitely stay away from hardware store-like polishers like the DeWalt listed above. You need the dual action unless you're and experienced detailer or body guy.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Its a decent knockoff (copy) of the excellent Rupes Bigfoot 21. It will definitely out perform a Porter Cable, but I bet you $100 the PC lasts years longer than the knock off polisher. The PC is STURDY. Took mine 8yrs of daily abuse before it died on me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts