Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of removing stock SRT8 decal and repacing it with with a painted silver stripe. Now I'm considering just removing the decal and leaving the hood alone.
How many of you think the SRT8's look better with the decal? Without decal? Oh yeah the car is black ( if that makes a difference).

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
We're talking the two big hood decals, right? Not the 6.1L Hemi decal...

My 2010 PCP SRT8 has no hood decals. When I first got it, all I wanted to do was get the stock decals on the hood. The look has now grown on me, and I like it without the decal.

I think it's a matter of personal preference...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
We're talking the two big hood decals, right? Not the 6.1L Hemi decal...

My 2010 PCP SRT8 has no hood decals. When I first got it, all I wanted to do was get the stock decals on the hood. The look has now grown on me, and I like it without the decal.

I think it's a matter of personal preference...
What 6.1L Hemi decal? Mine is an emblem, not a decal. Did Dodge start doing them as stickers at some point? :confused:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I like the hood stripes, gives it a more mean look. Great either way, I just like the stripes.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Mine (like most black cars) came with the carbon-fiber looking decal. I was going to remove it till I got the car, and my wife and son both love it and said I should keep it. I think it looks ok and decided to leave it alone for now. But as soon as it starts to show any fading or curling of the edges or cracking, etc, I'm removing it. If the paint shows any difference where it was under the stripe versus the rest of the car, I'll have another stripe painted on, but in a unique color like a dark emerald green or dark electric blue or dark blood red maybe. We'll see.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Mine (like most black cars) came with the carbon-fiber looking decal. I was going to remove it till I got the car, and my wife and son both love it and said I should keep it. I think it looks ok and decided to leave it alone for now. But as soon as it starts to show any fading or curling of the edges or cracking, etc, I'm removing it. If the paint shows any difference where it was under the stripe versus the rest of the car, I'll have another stripe painted on, but in a unique color like a dark emerald green or dark electric blue or dark blood red maybe. We'll see.

I personally don't care either way, and maybe I am clueless too, but wouldn't you be nervous painting it on? Seems so permanent, but I guess you could have it repainted at a later date. Vinyl would be what I would do, but I don't know crap about paint.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My hood stripes were damaged when the car was detailed. I knew before hand that they might be so I decided to remove them. I have added a hood to fender stripe and SRT8 logo for now. I will probably do something else when I get some other mods done: shaker and wheels.

Jeff

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dealer is replacing mine due to fading. I am not going to have it put back on and run it without the decal for a while. I like the clean look of the hood. Later on I may put the stripe back on.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
the stripe finishes the car.
the car looks like they forgot something without the stripe.
i don't know if you can paint the carbor fiber look, you'd have to be really talented to do that. pait is the way to go for stripes if you can get it done.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
A biased R/T owner I know but, a vinyl carbon fiber look decal? Cheesy, is what I thought when I first saw the concept.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
A biased R/T owner I know but, a vinyl carbon fiber look decal? Cheesy, is what I thought when I first saw the concept.
+1 I've seen a bunch but I'm not a fan of faux cf decals. Matte black is much better and more retro IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
What 6.1L Hemi decal? Mine is an emblem, not a decal. Did Dodge start doing them as stickers at some point? :confused:
Sorry, I meant 6.1L emblem, it is NOT a decal...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I thought the same thing till I saw it in person. It's since grown on me... sorta.

But regardless, muscle cars aren't necessarily known for their subtlety. "Cheesy" was a staple of the late 60's and early 70's muscle cars, so I guess there's elements of that carrying over even until today. ;) :D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Vinyl stripes will fade since the 3M material is only good for about 5 years tops - it will have to be replaced and the paint under it will look different.
Painting the stripes either flat or in clear/glossy on is the way to go in my opinion.

Vinyl should be reserved for windshield decals... like this example: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I took mine off. I'm really not a big kinda stripe person, but there are a few I like. However, I especially do not like hood stripes.

With that being said, though, I do plan on getting the hood spears from BigWorm and having a matching custom stripe on the side.

Mine was built 10/08, and when I removed the carbon fiber hood decal, this past October, I could see a difference in the paint. It was a very very slight difference. I claybarred it and it helped some, but if I look very close I can still tell. I think it's one of those if you don't know if you don't see it kind of things.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts