Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was starting my underhood dress-up today, the first thing I wanted to do was paint the air box of my AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake. When I took the clamp off of the filter, I noticed that there was a huge tear in it, right where the clamp goes. When I finished taking it off, I found that the tube itself was massively deformed - see pictures below. As this is made of hard plastic, I have no idea how this could have happened.

If this is just a matter of replacing the CAI with a better brand, then fine but I'm concerned that there is a bigger underlying cause that I need to get checked out. Any thoughts?

Obviously, either way I think I'm going to need to replace this but can I continue to use the existing one until the new one comes in? If so, what am I risking? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update...

I took the tube and used a heat gun on it. After about 30 seconds, the plastic was still cool enough to touch, but was pliable enough to reshape back into a circle. I used a little more heat, got the shape back to normal and then stopped. Overall, the temperature couldn't of the plastic couldn't have exceeded 110 F. I went to install the CAI about 25 minutes later, and it was still hot - it doesn't seem to dissipate the heat that well.

Anyway, I'm guess that the normal under hood temperature caused the plastic to become too malleable and it sucked in.

Placing an order for the Mopar CAI Monday morning...

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't know if tyhat one uses an oiled filter or not and I've never heard the oil hurts anything but the throttle body but I was told that CAI oil can cause all kinda strange things in a throttle body and they won't be covered by waranty. IMO the Mopar one looks better than the other ones anywhy.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
wow that's a new one. seems like that plastic is thick enough where engine heat should not have been an issue.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
It's probably best you got rid if it. Looks like a big restriction to me. I will say however, it's the first one I've heard of doing this, AFE is one of the most popular CAI's.

Jack

·
Registered
988 Posts
Poor grade of plastic....

A properly oiled filter will not contaminate the MAF. I have been running an 9" tapered 8 layer gauze S&B filter on my RV for over 4 years and have never had a problem. I have tested the oil at least 5 times and silicon levels are always below the averages.

But, again I made the CAI out of aluminum tubing and silicone tubing.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Sorry maybe I should have said excess oil, but if the oil gets to the throttle body it is excess oil. That was told to me by the main Himi tech at Landers Dodge BC La.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I don't know if tyhat one uses an oiled filter or not and I've never heard the oil hurts anything but the throttle body but I was told that CAI oil can cause all kinda strange things in a throttle body and they won't be covered by waranty. IMO the Mopar one looks better than the other ones anywhy.
The new Mopar CAI uses a dry filter element. No oil needed.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
So is mine I was talking about the defective CAI may have been one that used oil. I did have someone on here the other day swareing the Mopar CAI was oiled and I posted pictures of the clening instructions and everything saying "DO NOT OIL" and I don't think he ever did believe me.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
So does mine I was talking about the defective CAI may have been one that used oil. I did have someone on here the other day swareing the Mopar CAI was oiled and I posted pictures of the clening instructions and everything saying "DO NOT OIL" and I don't think he ever did believe me.
Wow, I think i responded to the wrong post, sorry. I messed up

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The AFE is not oiled.

Do they make more than one Mopar one for the V6 Challengers? I want to make sure to get a non-oiled one, sounds like that's all they make but I just want to be sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There is a really simple explanation...

Someone went way way too hard on the clamp, that's all it is. I've seen this before on a Mustang CAI. Don't remember what brand it was. All you need to do is not tighten the S*&^ out of it, and it will be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts