Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, the Challenger is such a cool car but the outside panels are terribly made. A person leaned on my car for a couple of seconds and now I have two small indentations (soft spots) on my rear panel. WTF!?! You would not think a car would indent like this. Its not like it was a hard push. You can't really see it spot on but of you look down the side of my car you see two indents. Anyone else have experiences like this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Man, the Challenger is such a cool car but the outside panels are terribly made. A person leaned on my car for a couple of seconds and now I have two small indentations (soft spots) on my rear panel. WTF!?! You would not think a car would indent like this. Its not like it was a hard push. You can't really see it spot on but of you look down the side of my car you see two indents. Anyone else have experiences like this?
I would be more pissed about someone leaning on my Challenger. :indifferent:

·
Registered
247 Posts
dents

Had some on mine too,don't know how they got there,had a great paint-less dent guy fix them ,now thy are gone! Fine a great paint less dent guy they can work wonders on the body!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would be more pissed about someone leaning on my Challenger. :indifferent:
Oh yea, I definitely was and still am. They got an earful from me. When I bought my car I got the pdr contract so its free to remove any dings or dents. Its more of a pia to find the time to get it fixed though.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Metal on modern cars is VERY thin and that's why they are designed with all the creases and character lines - to stiffen it up. Our Challengers have wide expanses of nearly flat surfaces so you're more likely to get dents easily.

Just be careful and don't let people lean on your car.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Almost sounds like the rear quarter "mystery dents" or creases that have been posted about.

Very hard to spot, unless you're at just the correct "angle". After someone leans on it, your eyes may have picked them up just right.

As already stated, the sheet metal is very thin, and is just for the "show", not part of the unibody integrity or strength, like the old days.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Thank the all knowing and all seeing OZ for this and many other vehicle related problems. Regulations rather than the free market determine how a vehicle is made and what equipment you will pay for whether you like it or not. Since my hail damage episode of 2010, I searched for and found an excellent PDR guy. I've had to utilize him several times since then and only one of those times was for an actual door ding. The other times were for creases that just magically have appeared on every panel except the doors and trunk. On modern cars, PDR has become as necessary as gas and insurance, at least if you care about your car. Maybe someday sanity will once again return to society. Until then we must pay the price to play the game.

·
Banned
756 Posts
dents

Metal on modern cars is VERY thin and that's why they are designed with all the creases and character lines - to stiffen it up. Our Challengers have wide expanses of nearly flat surfaces so you're more likely to get dents easily.

Just be careful and don't let people lean on your car.
Not all modern cars are built like that , it's flimsy metal that mopar allows to be used on the challengers . I've owned a 09 cts-v which I hand washed every week and I leaned on the car all the time and was heavy handed when washing my roof and guess what, no dents or creases whatsoever !
Chrysler/fiat is going to have to use better steel (high strenght) .
Mercedes , bmw, audi all use high strengh steel and I've literally have pressed hard against those cars in the dealers show rooms to see if they dent or crease in any way and they don't !

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
It's a lethal combination of weight reduction, the expanses of flat surfaces that are part of the retro design, and the de-contenting mentality prevalent in the dark ages of the Daimler ownership, when our cars were developed.

The strength of body panels on 2011+ Chargers and 300s is vastly superior to 2005-10 models, with improved assembly quality and more substantial feel to them. It is a joy to open and close the doors, trunk and hood on those cars, and the bumper fascias maintain a solid feel when you wash them by hand.

I expect similar improvements with the upcoming 2015 Challenger redesign.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Not all modern cars are built like that , it's flimsy metal that mopar allows to be used on the challengers .
I should have qualified my response by saying that modern cars are made with much thinner steel than they used to be. The main reason that Challengers are prone to dents is the combination of mild steel skin and flat retro design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts