Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 SRT8 Challenger is making a loud popping or clicking sound coming from under the driver side leather seat. When the vehicle turns or goes over bumps the seat pops and clicks under the weight transfer, but passenger seat does not seem to have this problem. This is not a creaking sound, but a loud pop or click like the sound our turn signal makes. I have looked under the seat and I cannot see any loose bolts on the track. The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to be coming from the seat belt locking assembly on the right side of the seat next to the console. This popping noise is really annoying, looks like I’ll be making my fourth trip to the dealer since I bought the car this past January. Anybody else every have a problem like this? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine does it as well and it is annoying. I have a 14 R/T with cloth seats. I messed around with it the other day and it seems like the noise is coming from where the backrest hinges to the lower part of the seat. I grabbed the backrest on both sides and twisted it back and forth and it would make the noise.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
HHmmm, if that seat back hinge failed if you got rear ended, Dodge would be in deep doo doo. My Dad spent many years in the supplemental restraint system department at GM, and he told me this: the seat is supposed to collapse backwards when you get rear ended, the buckling of the seat frame absorbs the energy instead of your body and neck. This is also why you should never remove your head rests. Your neck would snap in a rear ender.
I would consider it a safety issue and insist the seat be replaced.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, now the passenger side front seat is messed up!! My son complained that the passenger seat is getting stuck when sliding it forward to enter the back seat. Sure enough, I check the seat and it was grinding/catching when sliding forward. I looked under the seat and found two roller bearings had broken off from the sliding rail. Here is the rub; this is the same seat that the dealer recently repaired for a defect on the leather seat cover. So I am not sure if this is defect # 4 or damage from the “stealership” repair? Either way I am so pissed; the car is barely 4 months old this should not be happening. So this will be visit number 4 to the dealer for repairs, starting to feel like I got a lemon!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got my seats fixed!!

Well I finally got both of my seats fixed! The dealer replaced the slide adjuster on the front passenger seat first. Then I had to bring the car in again so the tech could diagnose the clicking/popping sound coming from the front driver seat. So when I returned at the end of the day, to my dismay the service rep advised me that the tech could not replicate the clicking/popping noise. So I told the rep to call up the tech for a ride along with me driving. Sure enough the seat started making the annoying noise as we drove around the dealership. So next we went to the parts guy who pulled up a schematic of my seat. The tech decided to ordered the upper and lower internal seat frames. A week later the parts were delivered and I just had them installed on Monday. So far so good two days and no more annoying clicking/popping sound.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Well I finally got both of my seats fixed! The dealer replaced the slide adjuster on the front passenger seat first. Then I had to bring the car in again so the tech could diagnose the clicking/popping sound coming from the front driver seat. So when I returned at the end of the day, to my dismay the service rep advised me that the tech could not replicate the clicking/popping noise. So I told the rep to call up the tech for a ride along with me driving. Sure enough the seat started making the annoying noise as we drove around the dealership. So next we went to the parts guy who pulled up a schematic of my seat. The tech decided to ordered the upper and lower internal seat frames. A week later the parts were delivered and I just had them installed on Monday. So far so good two days and no more annoying clicking/popping sound.
I am sorry you had an issue with the seats. Glad to hear the seats are repaired.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
195 Posts
Recently I have started to hear a cracking/clicking noise from the inside of the car. It wasn't a big deal when I first started. I didn't not think of it much but it's been happening more often than before.

I drive on the highway alot and I hear it every time I change the lane or when I slow down/speed up. I do not hear it in the morning but it happens during the afternoon (when I get off work) after being in the sun for about 8 hours. Sometimes it even happens when I am just sitting on a red light and I go to grab something from the passenger side compartment.

I took it to a dealer recently and asked them to check my suspension and the seat for any noise and they called and said nothing was wrong and that they didn't hear any noise. I asked my dad to pick it up for me and he said he didn't hear anything. I was all happy that it's gone and went for a drive hoping i will not hear anything...disappointed, it was still there. Now I am not a big person or too heavy that the seat is making the noise.

The guy at the dealership took it for a road test and I was in the car with him. We went through pretty nasty pot holes but it didn't occur even once. I am not able to recreate it whenever I want.

Its not even been a year for me.

I am sorry you had an issue with the seats. Glad to hear the seats are repaired.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are definitely on to something; the popping seat noise is coming from the internal seat frames. I was experiencing the same thing, when the seats were cold in the morning hardly any noise. But after baking in the heat all day, the ride home was very noising, lots of popping and clicking. I would suggest that you take in your car on a hot afternoon and ask the tech to ride along with you. The problem is also exacerbated by the weight of the driver, the tech that test drove my car was a small guy compared to me. He could not replicate the problem, but when I drove it was there. So it has been almost two months since my seats were repaired, and I am starting to hear another popping sound from my seats. This time it is more subtle than the last time, with my radio on I don’t hear or feel anything. So I tried to figure out what was going on and I leaned forward while driving, no popping, I leaned back popping. So I think the new popping sound is now coming from the back rest seat hinges, because it only happens when I put my weight on the back rest. Again it is not as bad as the first time, but when it comes to my ride I am very anal about everything, if it gets worse then it’s off to the dealer again. I sure hope the 2015's have better seat internals than ours.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
195 Posts
You are definitely on to something; the popping seat noise is coming from the internal seat frames. I was experiencing the same thing, when the seats were cold in the morning hardly any noise. But after baking in the heat all day, the ride home was very noising, lots of popping and clicking. I would suggest that you take in your car on a hot afternoon and ask the tech to ride along with you. The problem is also exacerbated by the weight of the driver, the tech that test drove my car was a small guy compared to me. He could not replicate the problem, but when I drove it was there. So it has been almost two months since my seats were repaired, and I am starting to hear another popping sound from my seats. This time it is more subtle than the last time, with my radio on I don’t hear or feel anything. So I tried to figure out what was going on and I leaned forward while driving, no popping, I leaned back popping. So I think the new popping sound is now coming from the back rest seat hinges, because it only happens when I put my weight on the back rest. Again it is not as bad as the first time, but when it comes to my ride I am very anal about everything, if it gets worse then it’s off to the dealer again. I sure hope the 2015's have better seat internals than ours.
FINALLY there is someone who is experiencing the same issues as me. This is exactly the scenario with me. I am heavier than everyone else in my family. Probably that's why it doesn't make noise when someone else drives but me.

Thanks for the response and I will take my car to the dealer asap and explain what's wrong. I am very anal about my car as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts