Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first Challenger an RT (6mt) with Performance Handling Group and was curious what some of the popular/easy/common mods were for them?

Don't plan on doing anything crazy, as it's a lease but thought I'd find out what some common ones people do to these were. I know with past cars that sometimes small changes can make big QoL improvements (or not). I've already ordered afe dryflow filter....for what that is worth, ha ha.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I am new to the MOPAR family so I don't know about what are good mods for the money but I would as you my already know keep all stock parts so as to return it to stock at the end of the lease. It would be costly to buy stock replacement parts or pay a penalty at the end of lease if you don't want to buy the car at lease end.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am new to the MOPAR family so I don't know about what are good mods for the money but I would as you my already know keep all stock parts so as to return it to stock at the end of the lease. It would be costly to buy stock replacement parts or pay a penalty at the end of lease if you don't want to buy the car at lease end.
Yeah, that's basically what I meant by not going crazy, nothing I couldn't easily undo to turn it in at the end of lease.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! And these are all applicable to a 2018 5.7L?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,543 Posts
Yeah, that's basically what I meant by not going crazy, nothing I couldn't easily undo to turn it in at the end of lease.
The 3 I mentioned at the bottom of my previous post are all easily reversible and good for 2015+. The clutch delay valve delete costs nothing.

Skip shift eliminator is a plug and play device

https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/izm993.htm

The Barton is costly but not too difficult to swap out

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have done the skip shift eliminator and clutch delay valve removal on my 2016 Scat Pack and would say that they greatly improved my driving experience and I plan to get a Barton shifter as soon as I can free up some spare cash.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 3 I mentioned at the bottom of my previous post are all easily reversible and good for 2015+. The clutch delay valve delete costs nothing.

2016 Challenger 6.4 Scat Pack - Clutch Delay Valve Delete - YouTube

Skip shift eliminator is a plug and play device

https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/izm993.htm

The Barton is costly but not too difficult to swap out

Barton Shifter complete Install - Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - YouTube
I'm not THAT mechanically inclined so I'm leery of the CDV one you mentioned. That won't void the warranty or anything? Would anyone even notice at turn in if I didn't put it back?

I actually had a question about that skip shift function, I didn't full understand what it does in the first place. It's a fuel efficiency thing right? But do you HAVE to go from 1st to 4th when it says? I haven't had it come up on mine yet, but I remember a friend's 98 Corvette had it and I had no idea what it meant or what I suppose to do. It's a manual, can't you just ignore it?

I have done the skip shift eliminator and clutch delay valve removal on my 2016 Scat Pack and would say that they greatly improved my driving experience and I plan to get a Barton shifter as soon as I can free up some spare cash.
Could you describe in more detail the difference after doing those two things?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,543 Posts
Skip shift eliminator allows you to shift to 2nd and 3rd gear at any RPM/Speed, although I think the 2018 turns skip shift off when in sport mode so you will have to check.

CDV delete involves the removal a little plastic orifice from the line between the clutch master cylinder and slave. It allows for quicker engagement of the clutch. I doubt anyone would notice if it is removed but it is easy to undo.

Honestly, if you are leasing the car and admit your wrenching Kung Fu is not strong...why even bother modding the car?

If I were leasing my car I would just get some fuzzy dice, lou's short shifter and a shift ball from speed dawg and leave everything stock. Adding lou's short shifter is as simple as popping off the shifter boot and unscrewing the stock shifter.

https://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/challenger-short-stick.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, if you are leasing the car and admit your wrenching Kung Fu is not strong...why even bother modding the car?
That's a fair question! I guess I mainly meant the common/popular "easy" mods. I don't know these cars that well yet but figured there were some simple Quality of Life improvements to be have based on some past cars I've had (a couple BMW M3's) and looks like that is true based on what you've shown me (appreciate all the links! Super helpful!). So I was gonna sift thru all the info I got an figure out what would work for me and what I felt comfortable doing. I'm not going to super charge it, I'm not gonna replace the rims, and stuff like that. Nothing I couldn't undo the night before turn in, ha ha.

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's not like these cars aren't really solid stock - they do benefit from mods, but for me other than the Barton Shifter none of them have been life changing in regards to the car. They've all been aesthetic or just because I wanted to do them.

I'm with Chally, I wouldn't do anything to it if it's a lease, frankly. Just enjoy it for the great car that it is.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
The skip shift is a problem on light acceleration shifting out of first the computer will lock out 2nd and 3rd gears you must go straight to 4th the problem is if conditions arise that require quicker acceleration mid shift you are still forced into 4th leaving you at low speed in to high a gear to put the power down and get out of the situation. The removal of the CDV makes speed shifting better and the clutch last longer that my not bee as important if you are not keeping the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did all the mods except clutch valve, installed SRT airbox with headlight tube and screens for both headlights and added K&N filter. What a difference!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts