Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Popular Hot Rodding Review of the 392 IE

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  06ssmc 
#1 ·
New review I haven't seen posted here yet.

Quick Review: 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

I would be interested to hear counterpoints from those of you who own this car (my GWE is on order) regarding some of the issues they pointed out.

Specifically this section:

We also noted a few electrical gremlins in our test car, which taken at face value wouldn't be so bad, but we know two owners of older SRT-8 Challengers who've also had problems. The turn-by-turn voice commands on the GPS alternated between whisper quiet and super loud (when we could get them to work at all), and the keyless entry worked only about a third of the time. When we tried to upload MP3 song files via the USB connection, the entertainment system was unresponsive to repeated prompts. And while not strictly an electrical gremlin per se, the newest version of Dodge's GPS (the third in just five years) was frustrating and counter intuitive to operate. (Conclusion: you're better off with a $100 Tom-Tom from Best Buy.) Lastly, the push-button start needs to be held down a good two seconds before the engine cranks-which when combined with frequent stalling from a hair-trigger clutch can lead to much embarrassment.
A final gripe we had that's unique to the manual trans is the really rubbery feel to the shifter. While the shifter does a great job isolating driveline vibration from the luxurious cockpit, this is at the expense of feel. With the lever in gear, the handle can still traverse a two-inch range with modest effort-not something that inspires driving confidence.
JFF:D

#4 ·
As a future owner - GWE on order since Valentines Day - I'd like to hear from IE guys on these "issues." I have actually notice quite a few threads about the key issue already - must be something actually to that one.

#5 ·
I'll happily share my experiences...

The turn-by-turn voice commands on the GPS alternated between whisper quiet and super loud (when we could get them to work at all)
Honestly haven't even punched in a destination yet in the nav - n/a
and the keyless entry worked only about a third of the time.
odd - mine hasn't skipped a beat yet (650+ miles)
When we tried to upload MP3 song files via the USB connection, the entertainment system was unresponsive to repeated prompts.
Yeah, could've been a million things, it is indeed a picky system. Personally no troubles yet, though many documented compatibility problems around these forums.
And while not strictly an electrical gremlin per se, the newest version of Dodge's GPS (the third in just five years) was frustrating and counter intuitive to operate. (Conclusion: you're better off with a $100 Tom-Tom from Best Buy.)
Sadly, agreed. A view shared by many that the 730n interface was designed by a team of marmosets that escaped from the makeup division of Proctor & Gamble.
Lastly, the push-button start needs to be held down a good two seconds before the engine cranks-which when combined with frequent stalling from a hair-trigger clutch can lead to much embarrassment.
I quite enjoy the slight anticipation delay with the start button. It's a great reminder that I'm about to gain access to a WHOLE lot more power than my daily driver has to offer. Hair trigger clutches on the other hand simply take a patient, experienced foot. I haven't stalled once, and don't over-rev to compensate. I'm gonna go with... lol-noob... on this one - which is odd as the writer is Johnny Hunkins - I believe the Editor in Chief @ Popular Hot Rodding!? Weird. Your embarrassment was well deserved Mr. Hunkins, well deserved. ;)
A final gripe we had that's unique to the manual trans is the really rubbery feel to the shifter. While the shifter does a great job isolating driveline vibration from the luxurious cockpit, this is at the expense of feel. With the lever in gear, the handle can still traverse a two-inch range with modest effort-not something that inspires driving confidence.
While strange at first, I've grown accustomed to it. Also, "while in gear", your hands should be on the wheel, not monkeying with the shifter! Plus, I think a solid Ferrari gated-type shifter (an extreme example,) would feel weeeeiirrd on one of these monstrous beasts.

My $0.02!! :bigthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.