Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nice read and videos. M3's suspension looks a lot harder than the chally's - in the track videos. The Chally is like a boat in the corners compared to M3's, the extra weight matters I guess.

·
Registered
355 Posts
While it flattering that they would pit the Challenger against the M3, I seriously doubt that any prospective Challenger 392 owner is evaluating it against the M3. IMO Challenger owners are all about american muscle and wouldn't dream of spending 67k for a BMW, but on the other hand even though the M3 was never on my radar screen its great to see that Dodge has upped the ante to the point that anyone would compare them and give the Challenger props.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Interesting about the relative fuel economy between the 2 cars. Typically, people will think the smaller v8 will naturally be more "efficient" and automatically deliver better mpg. It is good to see the 6.4 turning in nearly identical mpg with over 2 more L of displacement, lugging an extra 700 lbs, being constructed with an "obsolete" iron block, and delivering a good lump more hp plus an S-load more torque. It's actually rather amazing it can do all that!

To me, it just screams that small engines with high specific hp are certainly no guaranteed avenue to fuel economy, especially when they are called upon to deliver substantial output for their size. It is largely pointless to only discriminate against "big American mills" as sole offenders to fuel economy. They have come a long way after some good research and technology has been invested to making them the best that they can be. Going to smaller, higher-revving blocks may not net any mpg benefits at all, when it comes to maintaining leading performance targets.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as a track competitor goes, I think its a great comparison. They showed how the new mustang could take on the m3, so why not show how the bigger american muscle car can do the same. Theres also people like lukester that look for exactly this in our cars, a great road course car. Why not show that these things can hang with and beat the best out there in a similar class, it shows that its not only a quarter mile car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I ran a 4.1 0-60 in my IE 392 - not sure where they're getting those numbers from...

·
Registered
416 Posts
While comparing cars to other cars that are not in the same "class" due to size, design intentions, etc. can bite you in the butt, it can also none-the-less highlight what each car can actually do. For example: Who'd have thunk a Mustang could hang with an M3 on a track?!

My concern after reading the above comparison is that the Challenger/Charger/300 benefit GREATLY with the simple addition of sways and STBs... not to mention the tires that come on SRT8 cars are HORRENDOUS!!!

If Dodge would consider thick sways, STBs and nice extreme performance summer tires (Bridgestone RE11's for example) as a handling package (a concept like BMW's "Sport Package"), then when magazines test the cars (usually fully optioned), the SRT8's would have a much better chance of surprising the daylights outta folks. Cornering, acceleration... everything would be MUCH improved with these SIMPLE tweeks!

And what would the cost be to Dodge? Minimal. They'd actually make $$$!

My friend has the aforementioned mods and some negative camber on his Charger... and it handles like its on rails. Literally. Ever see a 4200 pound car keep up with a modified Evo on the twisties when both are driven by good drivers?! His does!

·
Registered
535 Posts
This was a really interesting comparison. The two are such wildly different cars with immensely different markets and intended capabilities, and to see them pitted against each other was really a cool treat. Nice find!

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
To bad a tach was not on the video like the speedo was.

·
Registered
726 Posts
x

While it flattering that they would pit the Challenger against the M3, I seriously doubt that any prospective Challenger 392 owner is evaluating it against the M3. IMO Challenger owners are all about american muscle and wouldn't dream of spending 67k for a BMW, but on the other hand even though the M3 was never on my radar screen its great to see that Dodge has upped the ante to the point that anyone would compare them and give the Challenger props.
Good deal. A better comparison would have been to throw the new Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition in the mix.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Nice read and videos. M3's suspension looks a lot harder than the chally's - in the track videos. The Chally is like a boat in the corners compared to M3's, the extra weight matters I guess.
I am sorry, but that last part in your comment is a gross understatement, lol. Lets add 600lbs. to the M3 and see if that hinders it's performance? The M3 won by 2 seconds, yet had a SIGNIFICANT weight advantage - I know this is just one test, but I am not impressed at all with the M3. The facts are the facts in this case, the M3 is 15K more, around 600lbs. lighter, many more years in production to refine the car, technologically superior in every way, and what in the hell do you get for it? When did we get to this point, where it is okay for a car to cost around 15K more and NOT walk away from the competition? IMO, BMW, get back to the drawing board. The M3 should have raped this technologically inferior, fat, American POS . . . . but it did nothing of the sort. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thats an awesome comparison. Of course the two cars are different animals. But to see the challenger getting close to the M3, that is a huge step toward performance. Although when I first saw the track map I was inclined to say that the challenger could win cause this track is kinda easy, high speed driving and no hard corners. maybe a bit of elevation changes but I guess I had high expectation for the chally. I have been to some road courses and one time there was an M3 sedan. I gotta say the guy was flying through the turns and I had no chance keeping up with him. Even though the M3 handles way better, the feeling you get behind the Challenger wheel is orgasmic as you are exiting a turn, on 2nd gear, rpm @ 3500-4000, going into the straight, hammering it hard, rumbling V8 Hemi under the hood and over taking all other small cars that were going faster than you through the corners. all of the instructors who rode with me were impressed by the challenger's power. Every time I hammer it I can see a smile on their faces, sometimes all I see is fear lol. they always told me the Challenger is not a track car but also they always say that its handling is way better than what they have expected.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am sorry, but that last part in your comment is a gross understatement, lol. Lets add 600lbs. to the M3 and see if that hinders it's performance? The M3 won by 2 seconds, yet had a SIGNIFICANT weight advantage - I know this is just one test, but I am not impressed at all with the M3. The facts are the facts in this case, the M3 is 15K more, around 600lbs. lighter, many more years in production to refine the car, technologically superior in every way, and what in the hell do you get for it? When did we get to this point, where it is okay for a car to cost around 15K more and NOT walk away from the competition? IMO, BMW, get back to the drawing board. The M3 should have raped this technologically inferior, fat, American POS . . . . but it did nothing of the sort. :scratchhead:
2 seconds a lap adds up... just sayin'..!

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I ran a 4.1 0-60 in my IE 392 - not sure where they're getting those numbers from...
If you saw that on your EVIC, just for grins datalog a 0-60 run and see if you don't see rpm's jump up at your shift...a lot of guys get there via wheel spin and don't realize it. Maybe not in your case but I'd argue there's a lot of that happening and the guys aren't aware of it.

HemiSam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts