Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving around at night in Orlando Florida, near the UCF area, I stopped at a red light. I looked to my right and saw a black Charger SRT8 with "392" badges on it. At first it didn't register that something was odd. My instant thought was that someone with a new 2012+ Charger SRT8 6.4L just wanted his badges in cubic inches, which I don't see a problem with.

But I immediately had to do a double take, and upon closer inspection, I noticed this Charger was a 2008-2010 372ci (6.1L) model. Fine, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he had a stroker or some kind of 392 under the hood.

A few weeks later, during the middle of the day, I saw the same car driving into a Golden Corral around the same area. Naturally I was curious and decided to follow him and find out what he has. After he parked, I drove up next to him in my black 2012 Challenger SRT8 392 and asked him about his car.

At first he was kind of frozen, speechless, but eventually he suspiciously and questionably said it was a 2008 Charger SRT8 with a 392 engine. He proceeded to quickly change the subject and dubiously talk about how he has a friend that has a shop and wants to put a supercharger on it (blah blah blah). I brought the conversation back to the 392 topic and told him I didn't think they made the "392" engines for the 2008 model Chargers. He had nothing to say. Nothing to add, nothing to explain. Not even a "This is a stroker" or "I bought a 392 crate engine and swapped it in"...

I wasn't going to keep him there speechless all day, so I said "Nice car" and told him to have a good day.

I didn't get a chance to look under the hood. He was there with other people for lunch and I didn't want to interrupt nor did I feel like he really had a 392.

Here is the evidence:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dudes posing. There is one in Houston like this. A "Clone" as they call it. lol I call it a Poser Clone. haha

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
No comment on how it sounded? Exhaust tips? Any other mods? It shouldn't be hard to tell a stroker, they're usually not exactly the biggest sleepers if you get to hear the thing moving.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Yeah, there will be half the forum that thinks it's stupid and the other half that will say "his car, his choice". I say "it's your car but I'm going to laugh at you"... You can make your car into anything you want (clone, tribute, etc), but don't say it has something it doesn't especially when it has to do with the powertrain.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No comment on how it sounded? Exhaust tips? Any other mods? It shouldn't be hard to tell a stroker, they're usually not exactly the biggest sleepers if you get to hear the thing moving.
Stock exhaust tips. Stock sound. Nothing remarkable, no noticeable mods... if I had spotted or heard anything out of the ordinary, I would have commented on it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, there will be half the forum that thinks it's stupid and the other half that will say "his car, his choice". I say "it's your car but I'm going to laugh at you"... You can make your car into anything you want (clone, tribute, etc), but don't say it has something it doesn't especially when it has to do with the powertrain.
I thought it was funny, that's why I posted it on here.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Dudes a 'tard. Let him be an idiot. Darwin was a liar anyway....

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Poser or legit? I think you know. ;) IF the guy had actually put a 392 under his hood he would've loved to talk about it and thanked you for noticing.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
He would have SHOWN IT TO YOU...

...he'd have been proud of his swap.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Poser... When I was in college I had a 74 Charger SE that was a special order with the Rallye package added to the SE. It had the Rallye stripes, bulge hood, etc. Anyway, the hood had holes for the emblem. I bought several OEM emblems 440 Six Pack, 426 Hemi, 440 Magnum, etc. I used to change them around and sometimes drove with the 426 Hemi one on it. Boy did I get some looks... It was all in fun for me and I would tell people that it wasn't a hemi if they asked. I just did it for kicks, but this guy seemed to want you to think he had a 392... In Wisconsin we would have called that guy a Hoser, not a Poser... LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a thought, could be a collision repair shop using the front end parts from a later model 392. Parts are parts to a lot of body shops who use the cheapest parts they can find. Badges mean nothing to them. If that's the case the guy got a bargain, better than the other way around. Probably couldn't find the basic HEMI emblem the 6.1 has since they're probably collectibles now. I think it looks great, but he better never try to sell it that way if he doesn't want the wrath of the forum to come down on him.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a thought, could be a collision repair shop using the front end parts from a later model 392. Parts are parts to a lot of body shops who use the cheapest parts they can find. Badges mean nothing to them. If that's the case the guy got a bargain, better than the other way around. Probably couldn't find the basic HEMI emblem the 6.1 has since they're probably collectibles now. I think it looks great, but he better never try to sell it that way if he doesn't want the wrath of the forum to come down on him.
Badges aren't hard to find. I own a couple of OEM "392" and "HEMI" badges that I bought online for a custom rebadging I wanted to do on my 392 Chally. I never got around to doing it and love the stock look. That website was also selling the 6.1L "HEMI" badges.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts