Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To further establish myself as the village idiot:

About the third time I noticed my hood was unlatched while driving down the road, I figured out the cause: when I use my left foot to press down on the parking brake to release it, it occasionally catches the hood release as I lift it off. We're talking size 9 1/2 sneakers; I ain't bigfoot and I ain't wearing snowshoes.

Assuming my leg is wired the same as everyone else's, someday I am going to find a Challenger hood on the side of the road. Hopefully it won't be mine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I need the hand release that Chrysler put in my wife's Aspen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, had the hood pop on me once. Only thing that makes sense is that I caught the release when popping the brake. Only had to happen once for me to get in the habit of checking the hood regularly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
kinda makes hood pins a viable option dont it

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I haven't done that yet, but I've found my trunk released a few times. I guess somehow I accidentally pressed the button on the remote twice (while it was in my pocket).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Haven't used a parking brake since I had a 63 Triumph TR3b in 1969.Checking it used to be part of the Texas inspection.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't done that yet, but I've found my trunk released a few times. I guess somehow I accidentally pressed the button on the remote twice (while it was in my pocket).

My doggone pocket opens the trunk everytime I walk by the car. Moved my cellphone to the left pocket, maybe that will help. I don't want the hood to chip the spoiler when it flies off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My doggone pocket opens the trunk everytime I walk by the car. Moved my cellphone to the left pocket, maybe that will help. I don't want the hood to chip the spoiler when it flies off.
I've had that problem too.....too much stuff in my pocket and there goes the Panic alarm. But haven't popped my hood yet. I have the hood pins already on my M10 and it will leave a mark on the hood pin scratch guard, but I guess that is what they are for. :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

About the third time I noticed my hood was unlatched while driving down the road, I figured out the cause: when I use my left foot to press down on the parking brake to release it, it occasionally catches the hood release as I lift it off. We're talking size 9 1/2 sneakers; I ain't bigfoot and I ain't wearing snowshoes.

Assuming my leg is wired the same as everyone else's, someday I am going to find a Challenger hood on the side of the road. Hopefully it won't be mine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I need the hand release that Chrysler put in my wife's Aspen.
....happened to me a couple of times before I figured out what was the cause. I don't like the way it releases regardless. It should release automatically and/or have a manual release.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Incident #2 today, caught it right before getting on the highway... which was only a few hundred yards from where I started.

....happened to me a couple of times before I figured out what was the cause. I don't like the way it releases regardless. It should release automatically and/or have a manual release.
Ummm, that is a manual release... do you mean a pull-handle release?

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
I never liked the push-to-release parking brake. I'm glad mine has a T-handle to release the parking brake.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts

Ok... I'll see your Village Idiot... and raise you a County Idiot.

The 6sp cars don't have the foot release... they have an old fashioned Hand Release.
Unfortunately for those newly acquainted with the car (less than 500m at the time), it's right above & a tad to the left of the hood release.
I reached through the open window to grab the hood release, & "FOUND" the parking brake release instead.

Lucky for me I also had the car in reverse, so when the car launched forward, it only moved an inch or two.
So I didn't have to report to my wife that I had just made a Bro-in-Law sandwich between car & garage with her older brother.

Yep... got the dumbass award for that one...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
im confused. mine has a hand release. whats everyone doing? opening their hood when releasing the P brake?? how?
....on my 2010 at least (its an auto), you must press down on the parking brake with your foot for it to release. As your foot comes up with the pedal, some of us had had it catch on the hood release.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Yep, I've done that, plus unlocked it and hit the panic button while in my jeans pocket. Maybe I'm eating too much....:(

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It is called an emergency brake,I would rather have the leverage of the foot pedal than depend on the strength of my arthritic right shoulder. I chose an automatic because of my shoulder and twice surgically repaired left knee.Since I can't recall the last time I had need of an emergency brake, actually never! Some day you'll grow old and have physical infirmities. and you'll find other inconsecquential items to complain about.:scratchhead:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts